What machines at the gym have gave you the best results?

Options
Which machine has gave you the best result? What do you do on it? Any tips? Was it easy at first? End goal/result?

Replies

• HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,982 Member
    Options
    That's a really, really, really broad question....
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    you will get the best results from a program, it may or may not include machines. Check out some of the popular programs and pick one you like.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I don't think I can attribute my results to any machine.

Instead I will ask.. what kind of results are you hoping to achieve? What are your goals?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Which machine has gave you the best result?

WattbikePro indoor training bike with power meter.

What do you do on it?
    My winter general cycle training and also the more technical cycle training.

Any tips?
    Beyond the bland "you only get out what you put in" statement without knowing your goals that would be a little pointless. So I guess my tip would be to have a serious think about your goals.

Was it easy at first?
    No.
    Still isn't easy because my goals move upwards with increased abilities.

End goal/result?
    Fitter, faster, higher FTP, better weight management in winter, improve fitness levels in winter whereas I used to have declining fitness.

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    There are no magic machines in my gym. As long as I do an appropriate full body workout , I get the best results from the machines and exercises I am willing/able to do consistently.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,983 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Rather than quibble w/the question, here's my answer.

The Concept2 rower for full body and Stairmaster for quads/hips/butt.

IMO, used "properly" both will give you a far better workout than any other cadio "machine" in the gym for the effort expended.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    So I can't answer your question the way you want. I find only 2 machines beneficial really. The lat pull down and a low cable row. I tend to like the lateral raise as well if I'm feeling too lazy to use dumbbells.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    The ones I used.
    Be careful.
    Work up to the difficult setting.
    Then go up to a higher setting.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Barbells.

For both increases in strength and hypertrophy
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Leg press. I discovered I can't squat very heavy, so l progress slow on the squat and LP to supplement.

Lat pull down. Really helps with my posture. Don't know why but I always feel happy doing it.

Rowing machine, great warm up tool pre lifting, espescially during the winter in Canada.
    Nice for when I need a break, works all my muscles.
    It is also my preferred gym cardio machine, just in case I want to do some in the gym.

Lots of other machines I will use depending on how busy the free weights are, or my energy level, or time available, or location.

What I have found is if I have done sole machine workouts for a month or so is that I lose flexibility and balance.

Something else to note is that machine strength does not transfer to free weights. You just about always have to drop the weight.

Personally I think machines have their place, even a full machine workout but, you will not get the same results as using free weights.

I have never used a machine programme for long enough to comment on results.

Cheers, h.

If you are thinking of doing a machine routine-
    https://www.bodybuilding.com/content/ultimate-beginners-machine-workout-for-women.html
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,610 Member
    Options
    They ALL do if you use them correctly and with enough resistance.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    The most convenient ones...lat pullover machine (a gym rarity), reverse-hyperextension/hyperextension machine, glute kickback machine, (front) squat machine, shrug machine, & the ever versatile smith machine
  • icanmovemountains
    icanmovemountains Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    For calories vs time I find that the elliptical works great! I can burn 100 calories in 20 minutes. But a full body exercise is the best thing you can do for good results. Its not all about cardio. Its about keeping your body healthy and happy, and you do that my exercising and strengthening all of it.
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Power rack and barbell by far. Many lifts, highly adjustable weight selection, able to load more weight than most machines, fairly safe if using bars, and it forces you to use your own balance instead of artificial rails.

If I ever made a home gym I would really only need a power rack, a barbell, a utility bench, and around 600 lbs in plates. I think the rest of stuff is nice but not "needed".
  • augustfirst1995
    augustfirst1995 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    It honestly depends on your goal.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    It honestly depends on your goal.

^^^ Yup......

My "best results" came from lacing up my running shoes and heading out the door to run (in terms of improved cardiovascular capacity) I also bike quite a bit.

If I were to pick one machine it would probably be my rower. I use it for cross training but it gives you a full body workout along with excellent cardiovascular conditioning, if you do go this route focus on developing correct form before worrying too much about pace or doing long rows.

Otherwise the correct answer is the one you're going to enjoy using consistently over time.
  • CowboySar
    CowboySar Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals as others have said. In my case no machines only free weights all the way. I guess the only machine I use ever is treadmill or stationary bike for cardio
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    You will get the best result following an established, structured program...the program you choose may or may not include machines.

Machines don't give you results...working properly gives you results...

ETA: if you're just talking about cardio...whatever machine you enjoy (I personally loath any and all stationary cardio equipment and don't use any). The machine doesn't give you results...the work gives you results.

I cycle...mostly outside.
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I skimmed, but - find a machine that you enjoy using and will continue to do so. Your results are based on your intensity while doing it. Try a different one until you find it, hey - maybe you'll like several of them!
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I gained some upper body strength by primarily doing the chest press and lat pulldown exercises on the machine. It was easy the first few times I used it to progress in weight, and then it did become a lot harder.