This may be a stupid question but...

Options
There are no gyms close by to me, and even if there were I cannot afford the membership. There used to be a treadmill in my house, it was my boyfriend's mother's but she took it with her when she moved - Boo. I am thinking about purchasing one, but they are well - expensive.

Basically all that I have for exercise in Wii - I play Wii Fit and I have purchased a ton of exercise games included The Michael Jackson Experience (which was intense, I played for 66 minutes today) and Just Dance and a few others. And well walking & such - but I like exercising in the comfort of my own home. - And my work schedule is wonky - I work all day, get out late at night and I put in an hour of Wii before bed.

Pretty much - what I'm asking is is it possible to lose weight just doing the Wii for exercise? I mean it beats what I was doing, and that is - nothing. Or will I just get slow results?

Replies

• hottamolly00
    hottamolly00 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Yes, you'll lose weight. But if you don't switch it up for include some strength training, your weight loss will likely taper off.
  • skinnylove00
    skinnylove00 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    probably slow results....you dont need a treadmill or a gym membership to run! all you need is a quiet track outside so use that mixed in with your home workouts to speed up your process, if you want to! <3
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's possible. Any workout is better than no workout. :) There are so many good exercise games for the Wii. I like EA Sports Active 2 because it seems to be more intense than Fit, so if you get bored with what you have you could look into that one. And eventually you can branch out into workout DVDs if you like -- or not, it's up to you. You won't get the huge 1000-calorie burns that some people bring in, but that's not really essential to weight loss or fitness.
  • Smurfette64
    Options
    Short answer - YES!!!!!!

I have only been doing the Wii (plus some walking) and have now lost just over 20kg in 4 months - and of course watching what I eat with the help of the MFP app on my iPhone

I use several Wii "games" - Wii Fit, Wii Fit Plus, Michelle Michaels, several yoga/pilates ones too (sorry without being near them I forget exactly what they are called - but I'm sure you get the picture.

Just mix up what you do
  • danarochelle
    danarochelle Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    You can also look on Craigslist. A lot of people sell their exercise equipment for cheap!
  • MrsRobertson1005
    MrsRobertson1005 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you will, one other thing you can do is go walk with your bf at least once a week, my bf and i try to. it's really nice
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    The best Wii workout that I've done is the Wii Fit boxing.

Just Dance 2 has some songs that will really get you moving as well.

With all of these it is up to you to put in the effort, as you can either work hard or sit on the couch and wave the Wiimote around.
  • MegJo
    MegJo Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    There are also some great workout routines online and in fitness magazines. If you can splurge on some handweights and a exercise/balance ball you'll be set! But overall I think walking combined the wii is a great start. It's all about what you put into the workout. Also - not sure where you are in your journey but if you wanted to think about jogging Couch to 5K is a great plan! Just google it and you'll get the details!
  • heresmyinsidevoice
    heresmyinsidevoice Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Definitely! Sounds like you're doing a good job. Throw a little strength training in with a set of handheld weights (you can get a set for $30), use your own body for resistance as well and you've got great cardio and strengthtraining tools right at your fingertips. :)
  • kayler00
    kayler00 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Ah! Thank you for all the advice. I will def switch it up and also try to get some running in. There is a track in our town at the local High School but they close it quite often and you can't get in it. I'm thinking about walking the the river walk tomorrow! =)

I get pretty into the Wii games. I usually play for an hour if not longer - and usually when I am done my hair is covered in sweat and sweat is practically dripping off me. The only problem is is I just don't feel the intense burn like that of a treadmill or running. Except I did do the part on Wii Fit Plus, I forgot what it was called but you pedal a bike - I did feel burn from that after - holy moley!
  • hazelnut861
    hazelnut861 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I like working out at home too. I got the Insanity videos and I love them. They're tough but you can do it. And they're less than an hour and it goes by quick. You can buy them from the beachbody website or like me off of craigslist. I don't follow the diet plan but I use this to track calories. The included diet plan is affordable though and has pretty simple recipes and ingredients.
  • mike_littlerock
    mike_littlerock Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    If you watch what you eat, you can do great on just about anything..

I think its interesting that we think that eating/exercise is like a light switch, that we can either be ON or OFF. I watch people thinking that they must make MASSIVE transformations but the reality is that simple adjustments, consistently done over time will result in huge changes. I have a post that i put up about my infomercial that could make millions for me. I would have people eat right, and spend 15 minutes a day swinging a stick over their head, marching around their yard and singing at the top of their lungs and if they actually did it, it would work for everyone.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/275631-infomercial-idea?hl=infomercial#posts-3644088

the point is that your Wii workouts or a walk around the block WILL work. If you simply burn 200 calories a day more than you take in, thats 1400 calories a week, or 5600 a month (a lb of fat is about 3500). No, that's not the "biggest loser" weight loss numbers we see, but 1.5 lbs a month is 18 a year.. the point is that it all adds up. we can be making minor changes in our life, if we do them 90%+ of the time and create a pattern.

I say that its great to do what you can, get off the couch and get moving.. Good Luck.

BTW. you can do AMAZING things with body weight. push ups, body weight squats, lunges, etc.. are all terrific exercises. you can also get a set of rubber exercise bands that take up almost no space and are quite inexpensive.
  • kayler00
    Options
    THANK YOU! All for the help. I will look into weights and the other things you suggested! =)
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    You probably can. I lost weight while playing DDR for the PS2.

Although, if you want to find more ways to work out other than just video games, you can get some dumbbells or resistance bands to do some strength training. It's not hard to build a home gym with little space and funds.
  • Serenifly
    Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    You can also Youtube GREAT exersise videos ... ! honest!
  • harrietlg
    harrietlg Posts: 239
    Options
    buy the 30 day shred or any of jillian micheals workout dvds.... now they will get you moving!!! you do need weights or something you can use at weights for the shred though.
  • boopiejones
    Options
    you don't need a treadmill, but the wii isn't the perfect solution either. walk or run outside. when the weather gets nasty, maybe try snowshoeing or something. strength training is important too. it might be a good idea to invest in a cheap set of adjustable weights. start with a barbell and two dumbells and a handful of plates. you can probably get them used for less than $50. way cheaper than a treadmill. maybe spend another $50 for a basic bench, but you can get by without it.
  • kayler00
    Options
    Purchasing the 30 Day Shred now!
  • emtgirl14
    emtgirl14 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Yes!!! I have lost 61 pounds in 8 months without a gym!!! I did have a treadmill for a little bit, but it broke. And you get tired of them eventually. Running is my favorite thing to do. I run and walk outside mostly. I also do workout DVD's. My favorites are Jillian Michael's 30 day shred, Banish Fat Boost Metabolism and No more trouble zones! That is really all I have been doing this whole time. And the occasional time on the elliptical when I go to my volunteer firehouse:)

It can totally be done. Be creative and always switch things up!:) Good luck!
  • weeziews
    weeziews Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Jillian's workouts are great! Do you have On Demand? They have exercises for free that you can watch do at anytime. You can also excercise TV, Self online, and Prevention online. They offer online workouts. If you are interested in running and your not a runner currently, check out the couch to 5k. It is a great program that you starts you off walking and gradually increases your running time. You can do that outside, no equipment necessary.

Search online for exercises at home. Nike has great workouts without equipment required, not sure if they are online. I access them from my phone. Womens health online may have some too.

Okay sorry on a roll!

Good luck! There are groups always starting that do the 30DS together. Great motivation.