Stalled for weeks and I'd just gotten started! Diary public. Advice?

Options

Replies

• need2belean
    need2belean Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    GB333 wrote: »
    I can totally see what you mean. Many of the generic ones are my recipes, so you cannot see the detail. I weigh all meat - although with the most recent hamburger, my husband bought it from the butcher so I was unable to see the fat content (like how it's usually 93/7 and whatnot) so that one might be a bit off. In my stuffed peppers, that detail is included in the recipe (although I did not weigh each pepper) along with all of the other ingredients. I do weigh my beef jerky, but the person who mentioned that is right - I chose a "generic" entry. There is nothing in it that adds calories except the meat (I made it) and it's a VERY lean meat, but I could make a recipe for it next time. That one is difficult bc the weight before and after cooking is so extremely different - I wasn't sure how to go about it.

The weight before and after cooking will 99.9% of the time be different. So, if you can, log the raw weight and just divide the jerky into the amount of servings you want.
  • GB333
    GB333 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I don't eat bread but I have allowed back in english muffins occasionally. I can certainly weigh those no problem. I may need to buy a second kitchen scale for my work break room..... ;)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    So should you weigh a potato or sweet potato before or after cooking it? I imagine that could make a difference....?

I weigh all my potatoes raw. If you do weigh them cooked, just make sure you find a database entry that reflects that.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Yeah a 148g potato (medium) is very small actually.

Some of your entries don't specify cooked or raw either. Some like 'egg fried in oil' are too generic. If you're using inaccurate entries as the base for your recipes too, they can be off by quite a bit at the end.

In the end though, it's only been 3 weeks, and you're female, so it's possible that you're just retaining water if your period is due soon (I frequently retained water for 3 weeks when I was losing, then lost weight the week after my period).

Oh and I have absolutely no idea how you can not be starving with that diet. I'm jealous.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I weigh everything I am going to cook when it is raw, and choose the appropriate DB entry.
  • dinadyna21
    dinadyna21 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Watch which entries you choose in the database as well, they're all user generated and are known to be inaccurate sometimes.
    https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list
    The above is a link to the USDA food database so you can check to see if the entry in the MFP database is accurate.
  • GB333
    Options
    dinadyna21 wrote: »
    Watch which entries you choose in the database as well, they're all user generated and are known to be inaccurate sometimes.
    https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list
    The above is a link to the USDA food database so you can check to see if the entry in the MFP database is accurate.

Thank you!!
  • aliblain
    aliblain Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I think other people have made really good points about logging- 10 calories here and there soon adds up. It doesn’t matter so much if your bmi is high but you are a healthy weight already so it won’t shift all that easier. I would also say, I have a sticking weight which is around 10lb heavier than my goal weight and when I reach that weight it takes quite a long time and persistence to finally start losing weight again. I wouldn’t say 4 weeks is all that long to stall.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    There are also some of my "Recipes" in there, which I know you wouldn't be able to see. These are made up of all of the ingredients, weighed and added in, and then divided up by servings into equally sized containers. I really do make an effort to try to be accurate or on the high end, whenever possible. :)

When you make a recipe, weigh the ingredients of everything that goes in, including water, so that you can say one serving is 1 gram. Then when you weigh your portion, you know how many grams you have and you log that.

• GB333
    Options
    When you make a recipe, weigh the ingredients of everything that goes in, including water, so that you can say one serving is 1 gram. Then when you weigh your portion, you know how many grams you have and you log that.

Good idea, thanks!
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    So should you weigh a potato or sweet potato before or after cooking it? I imagine that could make a difference....?

as long as you are consistent and find the right entry - i weigh mine raw
  • GB333
    Options
    Let's PRETEND that I weigh everything, even my La Croix :p , and I am eating exactly 1200 calories a day, each and every day. In pretend world, NOW what would you think the issue could be?
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Let's PRETEND that I weigh everything, even my La Croix :p , and I am eating exactly 1200 calories a day, each and every day. In pretend world, NOW what would you think the issue could be?

In your pretend world, it would be time to visit your doctor to rule out medical issues, such as thyroid.
  • GB333
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    In your pretend world, it would be time to visit your doctor to rule out medical issues, such as thyroid.

I agree. I actually did that in December and thyroid was normal. I had a bunch of bloodwork done as part of a checkup - only issue was low B12 but I've been on a supplement for a few months now.

• jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    slossia wrote: »
    Go on you tube and watch, forks over knives, the starch solution, what the health, the China study. That’s my advice.only advice, I’m not a nutritionist, or an expert on weight loss. Just works for me, that’s all.

Aren't all 4 of these documentaries that have serious flaws that've been pointed out repeatedly by dietitians? Why recommend biased information instead of balanced information?

i also think they are fairly contradictory, right? (i haven't watched any of them but i'm broadly familiar with the doctrines)