Mind lies

Options
I have an issue with my head. It tells me I’m still hungry even after I have just eaten. I could feel like I just ate 3 thanksgiving dinners and my brain still says “you need food”. It’s a constant battle. I ignore it most times, when I do give in I try to pick something hung healthy. Any ideas on how I get past my mind trying to sabotage me?

Replies

• brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Assuming you're eating enough... Busy yourself. Go do a task immediately after you eat. Odds are you're brain will forget about trying to trick you.

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,716 Member
    Options
    Well, probably silly, but I say argue back! When your brain tells you to eat when you're not truly hungry "tell" it that you just ate and that you aren't hungry. Works both ways, right?

When odd or wrong or bad thoughts pop into our minds we have the power to change them, so I'd just say have a discussion with yourself and don't let those mindless thoughts take over.
  • Tedo201
    Tedo201 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Normally drinking a lot of water helps alleviate my appetite.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Agree. Fight back!

But know this, you can’t stop it. You can win battles, but you won’t win the war. People spend years learning to meditate just to turn off the voice in their head for a few minutes.

On the other hand, don’t be too upset. Your brain isn’t really trying to wreck you. It just can’t stop talking. So a lot of what it spews out is just junk. Up to you to recognize the junk when it floats by.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    You can have your head tell you, but you don’t have to believe it. If you just ate, check your calorie count for your Pre-logged day. Eat what fits your calories. Don’t believe that little voice. (I have one too, that says I need desert to be satisfied- it’s a constant battle for me as well).
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Tell yourself you’re satisfied. Fake it ‘til you make it! Then go take an after dinner stroll.
  • Emeraldreign
    Emeraldreign Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I was there last year. I couldn't stop eating. I knew I was full. My mind knew I was full. But every hour or so I would be standing in front of the fridge. I was so upset.

I hope I don't get THE UGLY FACE for this.

I realized two things. When I drink wine I can never seem to get full. And when I eat sugar it just goes on and on and on.

I have been I think a week clean from sugar and wine? I stopped counting after day 3. Just find your vision something you want to achieve more than anything. Make doing that 4 - 6 times a week your go to thing to do and before you realize it you are making progress with clean eating and realizing your vision/goal.

Logging every thing you put in your mouth is do helpful and log what is in your head too. You don't have to do it here. But log your thoughts down on your computer or buy notebooks.

So worth it. I lost 10 pounds last month with this change. Working on at least that this month. Even if I lose 5. Im still going in the right direction.

Good for you for joining MFP. Remember write down what's in your head. Think about it, meditate on it, return read it for a different perspective. And write some more. Especially your position on why abusing our bodies with over eating is not self care. Certainly isn't magical.

• h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    ksbug913 wrote: »
    I have an issue with my head. It tells me I’m still hungry even after I have just eaten.

Yup !!!! .... I am with you on this one, it sucks doesnt it, I am permanently hungry .. when I really think about it and concentrate on the hunger it turns out I am not actually hungry, but my brain just really likes eating, the taste, the feel the emotional hug from food.

Knowing when to stop has been a big issue for me .... I have found that Intermittant fasting has helped a lot as it taught me to recognize real hunger and what happens if you dont eat when your brain says "feed me" ... that said though I still get the signal from my brain to eat, but I can at least now ignore it .... well, for the most part, I am now suffering from the mindless eating issue, where I sit down and realise I have 50kcal of Muesli in my hands and a mouth full of grapes ... all unlogged and not even sure when I got them

so this is my current challenge .... but yes ... its hard work and you do have to fight your brain and learn new habits, Its hard but you can do it
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are getting enough calories and then drink about a gallon of water if your brain keeps telling you it is still hungry. Continue to drink. Your stomach can only hold so much and once the signal hits that you are full then you'll know.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I will usually go for something really time consuming to eat in this case, like a jawbreaker or fireball, or something that is just not easy to eat but keeps your mouth busy, a hard to eat mint would be good since other food wouldn't taste very good after a mint.
  • Aqualang26
    Aqualang26 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I think a LOT of us can relate.

In line with the "fight back" suggestions, this sometimes works for me/wins against my brain:

I ask myself "Would I eat boiled chicken right now?"

If it's a hard no, I know I'm not actually hungry - more importantly, my brain has followed that simple logic and it knows I'm not hungry.

Even if I'm like 99% sure already, going through that process is necessary to convince my brain. I have to formulate the question. Think about how the chicken would look and taste etc.

It's weird, I know. But it works for me. Maybe it'll work for you.
  • cornplastic
    cornplastic Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Try adding lemon to your water. It’s supposed to help with food cravings. I’m also hungry all the time, and the lemon in water isn’t a magic fix (i wish there was one), but it helps a little.