Smoothies, Good or Bad?

Everyone seems to have a different opinion on smoothies, green or fruit.

I know they are great if you are in a rush, they are packed with vitamins and a very easy way to get your 5 a day in, but on the other hand, they are full of sugar, and in most cases, a bunch of calories!

What's your view, are they good or bad?

- Also if you have any recipes you would like to share, feel free :)

Replies

• _mr_b
    _mr_b Posts: 301 Member
    I'm generally of the opinion that if it fits into my diary then why not.

I generally just eat the fruit though cos I'm too lazy to get the blender out of the cupboard.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    As long as they fit your calories.

But for me personally, they're not filling at all for the calories, so I typically avoid them, unless I really crave one.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    There's no one answer. Does the kind of smoothie you make fill you up and meet your nutritional goals for that meal, and do you enjoy it? Then good. Are you someone who does not feel satisfied drinking calories or do you make smoothies that leave you hungry soon or don't meet your nutritional goals? Then not a good regular thing.

Anyone who claims they are inherently good or bad for all does not know what they are talking about.

I enjoy them as one of several breakfast possibilities.

On your specific comments about them, they aren't always great if you are in a rush. I like them, but the filling ones I enjoy take time to drink (there's a lot) and no less time to make than an omelet or some oats (if you plan ahead). Yogurt plus fruit would be faster.

The only sugar in them is from the veg and fruit (mine are more veg than fruit), so that's sugar I'd ideally get in my day anyway. Also, for me it's important to add fat (I use avocado and sometimes nuts or seeds) and protein (I usually supplement them with protein powder).

Calories? I aim for similar as any other breakfast, but I like 400 cal breakfasts, so for some that would be a lot.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Well I don't find them filling at all. Chewing seems to be key for my feeling full. A single apple would fill me up more then 10 times that many calories of smoothy
  • anetkastefaniak
    anetkastefaniak Posts: 45 Member
    edited February 2018
    I have a smoothie every morning, mostly because I'm not much of a fruit-eater and I struggle with eating breakfast.

I usually do a 1/2 cup of almond milk, a handful of spinach, 1 cup of strawberries/raspberries/blueberries, and half a banana. That comes out to no more than 200 calories I believe...

I've been drinking these types of smoothies for the last month or so and I find I have a lot more energy at work now! Mind you, before these smoothies, I never actually ate breakfast so the energy boost is probably the result of me eating something for once.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited February 2018
    They're neither good nor bad...

I'm personally not a fan as I get satisfaction from chewing. The only time I have one is when I'm 1/2 century training after a long ride because I'm not usually hungry afterwards but I need to replenish glycogen and get some calories in...the one I make is around 1,000 calories.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    I personally find that liquid calories just aren't satiating for me. I can drink a 300 cal smoothie and be hungry again in half an hour. I'd rather have 300 calories of solid food that will keep me full much longer.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    I love smoothies. I have one almost everyday for breakfast. The ones I make keep me full until lunch, don’t have a ton of sugar, and have no added sugar. I have much more energy when I drink smoothies regularly.
  • sommerrosee2
    sommerrosee2 Posts: 31 Member
    i have one every morning for breakfast. lately ive just been using protien powder(quest vanilla is the best), pb2(choc or regular), and almond milk. if i am not lazy ill do the same, but add in some type of fruit and chia seeds for fiber and such. with the first option, 205 cals and im good until lunch, with the 2nd its usually around 260-275 cals. still full until lunch. i just find it easier in the morning, and i am not an early eater so "drinking" my food in the morning doesn't make it feel so much like breakfast.
  • MewzuriKittie
    MewzuriKittie Posts: 10 Member
    I personally love them, I find them real filling, they're my favorite lunch. I like mine with 1/3 cup grapes, strawberries, blueberries, half a banana, and a bit of kale. Blend with either water or simply orange, it's yummy with either one.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    toxikon wrote: »
    I personally find that liquid calories just aren't satiating for me. I can drink a 300 cal smoothie and be hungry again in half an hour. I'd rather have 300 calories of solid food that will keep me full much longer.

This is how I feel, too. If you can drink your calories and not be hungry afterwards then they can be a great way to get specific nutrients and lots of veggies/fruit into your diet when you're busy. However, it might be a a psychological thing for me because I find if I drink any of my meals I am still hungry - even if I just "ate" 400 or 500 calories. I have to actually chew some food for me to register I ate something. It's a personal choice - if it works for you, and within your calories, it's great. Eating is unique to everyone, so do what works for you.