Non-lifters, favorite ways to strength train?

Options
To those like me who don’t pump iron, how do you make strength training fun? I know it’s important, but I’m having a hard time making myself do it. I’m currently using the Nautilus equipment at my gym, but the other day when there was a plumbing leak that closed that section for the day, I couldn’t believe how happy I was to have an excuse not to do it. I’d love to hear any strategies to use to keep from dreading strength training.

Replies

• mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    How about calisthenics? The act of learning new skills can make it seem more of a game than a chore.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    I started off doing the NerdFitness body weight circuit, and now I do FitnessBlender videos, which largely mix body weight stuff and cardio. I find the diverse activities fun and have noticed definite improvements in my strength, balance, and even endurance over the last couple of months. I also like the practical feel of body weight exercises - I don’t need to lift or carry anything heavy in my day to day life except my body! I’ve added in a plank challenge and am working on doing a full pushup by my birthday next month, so there are definitely ways to work in progression as well. It’s not as ideal for muscle building as a structured lifting program, but that’s okay with me. Keep trying different things - you’ll find something you like!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    TRX
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Have you heard of battle ropes? I don't personally declare it works but one of my mfp friends has 1. big guns 2. declares that battle ropes helped cause it.
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Body resistance is amazing. I saw drastic, faster, better results than I ever did lifting weights.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Former lifter here. I do strength yoga classes. Lots of body weight exercises.
  • cornplastic
    cornplastic Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I recently started TRX classes twice a week. I heard people love it, so maybe I will too once I get past the part where it feels like the instructor is trying to kill me!
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I've enjoyed using my Pilates Reformer, bodyweight exercises and TRX over the years.

Over the past couple of months I've discovered that using resistance bands (the kind with the handles) is a really great total body workout.

They are available in different strengths. I have a medium-strength and that is working very well. I've ordered an interchangeable 5 levels in one band and I'm looking forward to using that. I would like to be able to go lighter and heavier when I want.

I've seen great results using my resistance band. Plus there's a lot of variety in the exercises I can do so I don't get bored.

• RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    If you keep at the lifting it gets harder or at least it should... for me it is meditation... to enjoy something is a choice... a minimum of 4 sets and 8-15 reps on each apparatus whether free weights or machines... increasing the weight each session until you reach failure... eventually the gains become your motivation... where machines lack is in developing technique... they remove the need to focus on things like balance and body alignment. Ultimately... strength training should be done with free weights... the real question is are you interested in strength or endurance... do you want to be able to kill a zombie or be able to outrun the horde?
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I try to drag my butt to Body Pump class.
  • danaoira
    danaoira Posts: 20 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I stopped lifting. I do Pilates Reformer (classical order) every day and am much happier!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    pilates, there are some yoga classes/videos that focus more on body weight strength, strong curves has a bodyweight version of the program, fitnessblender and other online workout videos.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i do aerial classes. which essentially is bodyweight
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    Rowing

I'd say rowing but I'm biased (I love rowing). To be fair, there are a whole host of equipment that is changing the game now for cardio/muscle development. Though I love rowing, other options now are the SkiErg and any "Assault" style bike (Schwinn Air Dyne Pro, the original Assault Bike, Xebex or the new Rogue Echo -- that's the latest one everyone is raving about). A rower or these other two options both work cardio and pretty much full body muscle development at the same time.

The rower doesn't work chest or shoulders that well but pretty much everything else. Assault bikes work nearly every muscle but shoulders, maybe lower back.

SkiErg works everything except perhaps chest enough.

With any of these, killer workouts, very efficient and you'd only (perhaps) have to add in some pushups and maybe some overhead dumbbell presses and you could have killer body along with diet.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I do HIIT intervals. In a class setting
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    To those like me who don’t pump iron, how do you make strength training fun? I know it’s important, but I’m having a hard time making myself do it. I’m currently using the Nautilus equipment at my gym, but the other day when there was a plumbing leak that closed that section for the day, I couldn’t believe how happy I was to have an excuse not to do it. I’d love to hear any strategies to use to keep from dreading strength training.

Switching from low weights/high reps to high weights/low reps and having an awesome playlist made strength training a lot more enjoyable for me.

Oh, and I used to hop on the elliptical for a few minutes in between exercises and am so glad I stopped trying to do cardio the same session as weights.
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Barre class and we have a class called abs+ but really it's just a circuit style class where the instructor make a giant effort to use a different piece of equipment each week which I like from the bosu, stability ball, free weights, all sorts of bands, weighted bar.

Unfortunately I for the upcoming semester they are cutting down on the number of classes.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    TRX is great!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,967 Member
    Options
    Stair climbing
    Cycling - sprinting
    Cycling - hill climbing
    Rowing