New member...any good recipes?

Options
I'm a mom in my 40's with only one kid left at home. I have a ton of time on my hands now and have come to realize that I no longer have an excuse for not working on losing weight. I have about 50 lbs to lose and need to stay motivated! I really need some good recipes. I just left an expensive diet program, which had me starving all the time. I don't want to eat salad for every meal. Does anyone have good recipes? I also need breakfast ideas.

Replies

• CorrieV1976
    CorrieV1976 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Here is the Fajita-Ranch Chicken wraps I omitted the salsa...it was still great!Ingredients
    12 ouncesskinless, boneless chicken breast strips for stir-frying
    1/2 teaspoonchili powder
    1/4 teaspoongarlic powder
    Nonstick cooking spray
    ...1 smallred, yellow, or green sweet pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips
    2 tablespoonsbottled reduced-calorie ranch salad dressing
    2 10-inchwhole wheat, tomato, jalapeño, or plain flour tortillas, warmed*
    1/2 cupEasy Fresh Salsa*
    1/3 cupreduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese

Directions
    Sprinkle chicken strips with chili powder and garlic powder. Coat a medium nonstick skillet with nonstick spray; heat over medium-high heat. Cook chicken and sweet pepper strips in hot skillet over medium heat for 4 to 6 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink and pepper strips are tender. Drain if necessary. Toss with salad dressing.

Divide chicken and pepper mixture between warmed tortillas. Top with Easy Fresh Salsa and cheese. Roll up; cut in half.

*To warm tortillas: Wrap tortillas tightly in foil. Heat in a 350°F oven about 10 minutes or until heated through.

*Easy Fresh Salsa: In a medium bowl combine 2 seeded and chopped tomatoes, 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion, 1/4 cup chopped yellow or green sweet pepper, 2 to 3 teaspoons snipped fresh cilantro, 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic, 1/8 teaspoon salt, a dash of black pepper, and, if desired, a few drops bottled hot pepper sauce. Serve immediately or cover and chill for up to 3 days. Stir before serving. Makes 1 2/3 cups.
  • punpunks28
    punpunks28 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I love smoothies as a snack, but they have so many calories so I make my own at home. The one I make is very filling and it is a great pre/post workout snack. It is really simple and really cheap too with only about 80 calories, but it gives 8 grams of protein.

Carb-Master Smoothie

1 Kroger Carb-Master Smoothie (any flavor)
    1/2 Cup of Ice
    1/4 Cup Fat Free/Skim Milk
    1 Sweet & Low packet
    Blend it all up in the blender
  • cillytilly
    cillytilly Posts: 243
    Options
    Here are a couple of my favorite recipes!!

Tortilla Soup:

1 tbls olive oil
    1 cup of onions chopped
    3 green onions
    4 cloves of garlic
    ½ cup of celery
    ¾ cup carrots
    4 cups of low sodium chicken broth ( I use Pacific Natural Foods it has 70 mg per cup)
    8 cups of water
    1.50 lbs of chicken
    2 ripe tomatoes
    1 cup red bell pepper
    1-2 jalapenos
    1.5 tablespoons of cumin
    1.5 tablespoons of chili powder
    1 tablespoon of oregano
    1 tsp black pepper
    ½ small can of tomato paste 2-3 tablespoons
    2 corn tortillas small chopped (for thickening)
    ½ cup brown rice (uncooked)
    1 can of reduced sodium black beans rinsed
    ½ cup of corn
    ½ cup fresh cilantro
    Directions:
    I advise chopping onions, carrots, celery and garlic before starting.
    1. Place olive oil in stock pot and turn to medium heat. Add onions, garlic, carrots, and celery to pot. Stir until onions start turning translucent 3-5 mins.
    2. Add chicken broth and water to pot along with chicken. Chop peppers and tomatoes up adding to pot as you cut them up. Let simmer for 15 mins.
    3. Add spices to pot along with the tomato paste. Let simmer for 20 mins then add the rice.
    4. Once rice is done about 20 to 30 mins add beans and corn and cilantro cook for 10 mins.
    5. I serve mine with reduced fat Mexican cheese, avocado, sour cream, cilantro and tortilla strips depending on my caloric needs.

Makes 5 pretty good sized servings at 395 cals each approximately.

Slow Cooker Thai Red Curry Chicken
    Use a 6 quart slow cooker. You can lesson veggies and chicken if you have a smaller one.
    1 (14 oz) can of lite coconut milk
    ½ cup low sodium chicken broth
    1 tablespoon fish sauce
    6 tablespoons red curry paste
    1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
    2-3 tsp fresh ginger grated
    1 medium onion sliced
    1 red bell pepper chunked
    1 yellow bell pepper
    2 medium potatoes (peeled)
    2 medium to small zucchinis
    2 medium to small yellow summer squash
    1.5 cups of carrots
    1 can of bamboo shoots drained
    8 chicken thighs skinned bone in about 3 lbs
    2 cups fresh green beans

Directions
    1. Place coconut milk, broth, soy sauce, curry paste, and ginger into slow cooker. Whisk together in slow cooker until curry paste is dissolved.
    2. Place in onions, peppers, carrots, zucchini, summer squash, potatoes, and bamboo shoots. Stir around in the sauce.
    3. Place green beans on top of the veggies and place chicken on top of the green beans.
    4. Cook on low for 8-10 hours. High for 4-5.
    5. Cooks Note: I would have preferred mine a bit spicier so next time I will be adding some sirachi as the red paste was not too spicy. You can also add garlic to this I would recommend 1 to 2 cloves as not to be too overpowering. I served mine with brown jasmine rice but it would be good as a soup if you add a little more chicken broth.

Makes about 6 good sized servings at approximately 381 cals

Tofu Scrambler

2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
    1 cup chopped onions
    2-4 cloves of garlic
    2 small to medium zucchinis
    2 medium yellow summer squash
    2 cups sliced mushrooms (then chopped)
    1 red bell pepper
    4 cups spinach fresh then chopped
    2 16 oz packages of firm tofu
    2 teaspoons of black pepper
    1 teaspoon of curry powder
    1 teaspoon of turmeric
    1 teaspoon dry mustard
    3 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
    ¼ to 12 teaspoon red pepper flakes or to taste.

Directions
    1. Chop up veggies. Depending on how big of chunks you want will depend on the size of your chop.
    2. Place large chefs pan or stock pot on medium heat with olive oil. Sautee onions and garlic until onions start to turn the add bell pepper, squash, zucchini and mushroom. Sautee until they soften. (may need to turn to higher heat as these veggies give off a lot of water) 5-15 mins.
    3. Crumble tofu into pan. ( I prefer smaller chunks to having large chunks of tofu so it can absorb flavor) sautee for 2 mins
    4. Add spices and soy sauce and sautee for 3-5 mins.
    Servings 7 (for me it was just over a cup each) for about 205 calories

Cook’s Note: I served mine with reduced fat cheese and some medium salsa. It was tasty and filling. Depending on how spicy you like it be careful with the red pepper flakes.

Tofu Scrambler

2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
    1 cup chopped onions
    2-4 cloves of garlic
    2 small to medium zucchinis
    2 medium yellow summer squash
    2 cups sliced mushrooms (then chopped)
    1 red bell pepper
    4 cups spinach fresh then chopped
    2 16 oz packages of firm tofu
    2 teaspoons of black pepper
    1 teaspoon of curry powder
    1 teaspoon of turmeric
    1 teaspoon dry mustard
    3 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
    ¼ to 12 teaspoon red pepper flakes or to taste.

Directions
    1. Chop up veggies. Depending on how big of chunks you want will depend on the size of your chop.
    2. Place large chefs pan or stock pot on medium heat with olive oil. Sautee onions and garlic until onions start to turn the add bell pepper, squash, zucchini and mushroom. Sautee until they soften. (may need to turn to higher heat as these veggies give off a lot of water) 5-15 mins.
    3. Crumble tofu into pan. ( I prefer smaller chunks to having large chunks of tofu so it can absorb flavor) sautee for 2 mins
    4. Add spices and soy sauce and sautee for 3-5 mins.
    Servings 7 (for me it was just over a cup each) for about 205 calories

Cook’s Note: I served mine with reduced fat cheese and some medium salsa. It was tasty and filling. Depending on how spicy you like it be careful with the red pepper flakes.
  • cillytilly
    Options
    White fish in tomato wine sauce
    Ingrediants:
    1.25 lbs of white fish ( you can use code, tilapia, orange roughy etc you want a mild white fish)
    1 (14 oz) can of diced tomatoes
    ¾ cup diced green onions
    2 (16 g) cans of sliced black olives
    1 small to medium zucchini
    1 small to medium yellow summer squash
    1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
    1 pinch of thyme
    ¼ teaspoon of black pepper
    1 pinch of rosemary
    2 tablespoons fresh basil
    1 cup white wine

Directions:
    1. Heat olive oil in medium skillet over medium heat and stir in chopped green onions. Cook until tender 3-8 mins
    2. Mix white wine, tomatoes, olives, zucchini and summer squash in bring to a boil.
    3. Stir in basil, thyme, rosemary and black pepper. Place fish on top of mixture.
    4. Simmer for 15-20 minutes until fish flakes. If you need to flip fish.

Servings 4 calories 264

Cooks Note: I sprinkled mine with feta cheese. This is a wonderful fresh spring dinner. You can add rice to it also for a full dinner. This goes well with a dinner salad too.

Sorry didn't mean to send two of the tofu.
  • cillytilly
    Options
    Spicey Cabbage

So here is my recipe. It makes 8 servings about 135 calories for over a cup serving but you can half or even quarter the recipe. I use vegetable instead of olive oil in this one for its higher heating point. I use a food processor to shred my cabbage also.

4 tablespoons vegetable oil
    2 tablespoons fresh ginger
    1 cup diced onion
    8 cups green cabbage
    8 cups purple cabbage
    2 teaspoons srirachi (if u want it milder use less)
    4 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce

In a deep sautee pan or wok heat oil on medium to mediumnhigh heat.

Add ginger and onion to oil heating until onions start to become translucent. Add srirachi and stir around intil evenly sspread.

Add gcabbabe and sautee until limp can take 10 mins or 15. Add soy sauce heat until cooked to your desired cooked cabbage texture.
    Usually served with brown rice and chicken portioned out.
  • sdvely
    sdvely Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks guys...definitely going to try these. Especially the fajita's and the spicy cabbage.
  • bomomar
    bomomar Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    He we have a group that has fun competition. We motivate and try to encourage. Check us out and if you like invite me as a friend. If not I wish you a lot of luck.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/bomomar

Ps Im a chef and post recipes for friends on a regular bases.