Passing the time away walking

whodeany1
whodeany1 Posts: 13 Member
I go for long walks. I pass the time talking on the phone, reading (yes crazy dangerous), listening to podcasts of all sorts, audio books, etc. Anything that keeps me interested is what I crave. I'm taking any suggestions of anything new I should try...and no, I am not going to push a piano around and learn how to play while I walk. Anyway, I hope this is a fun topic, maybe I'll learn a new podcast or audio book...my tastes are all over the place.

Replies

• Meelisv
    Meelisv Posts: 235 Member
    I listen to a lot of podcasts and audio books too. Not only when walking, but also when commuting to work and back and generally doing stuff while by myself.

Curiously as I get older I listen to music less and less, mainly I put on headphones and turn on Spotify when I need to concentrate at work.
  • All the best and go ahead for such stupid but amazing things...
  • huntersvonnegut
    huntersvonnegut Posts: 1,176 Member
    I take very long walks every day but I don't listen to music. I listen to the voices in my head. But seriously, sometimes I just get lost in thought whether I'm thinking of a solution to a problem at work or just off in Walter Mitty land. Sometimes I have a fight with my wife over something she hasn't a clue about and by the time I get home, I'm over it.
  • THeADHDTurnip
    THeADHDTurnip Posts: 413 Member
    I suggest nunchucks.
    Listen to the swish as you whizz them around your body while you walk.

No one will enter your safe space. Ever.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Yes a bit crazy to read or watch your phone while walking LOL. Where do you walk? The sidewalk is so uneven here, I'd probably trip all the time.

For me it's audiobooks or music. Really though, get a treadmill, it will be much safer if you like reading, lol.
  • whodeany1
    whodeany1 Posts: 13 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Yes a bit crazy to read or watch your phone while walking LOL. Where do you walk? The sidewalk is so uneven here, I'd probably trip all the time.

For me it's audiobooks or music. Really though, get a treadmill, it will be much safer if you like reading, lol.

I walk both on the sidewalk and streets. The streets are wide here in Virginia Beach and the sidewalks are not too bad, except a few places where the slant is a bit too uneven. When it rains, I like to stay the heck off the sidewalks as water pools between the grass. I have several walking paths depending on the time of day or the adventure I'm looking for. Sometimes I will see rabbits, owls, hawks, blue herons, woodpeckers..lots of noisy crows. I when I talk on the phone sometimes they will say: "It sounds like you are in the bird room at the pet store". At night it's safe on the most part if I don't get paranoid about something. My dog used to go with me, but she can't walk more than the length of my yard due to numerous medical problems. I have decided being outside is ten times better than sitting on exercise equipment in a gym. It just gets boring and should I say, lonely, at times.