Intimidated by free weights

Options
MessyApron
MessyApron Posts: 206 Member
edited February 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
My non-scale fitness goals for 2018 are to build functional strength and work on body recomposition. I have a YMCA membership, and I've used most of their equipment before; the cardio machines, the weight machines, and (dabbled with) kettle bells, but I really want to use the free weights. All the research I've done has lead me to the conclusion that weighted squats and deadlifts will do much more for me than running on a treadmill ever could.
The problem is that I have no idea what I'm doing, and I don't want to injure myself or damage any of the equipment or inconvenience the other people using that area with my inexperienced bumbling.
To get around this I've requested a session with I've of their on-staff personal trainers to help me develop a routine and teach me the right to use the equipment.
Does anyone have any tips or pointers for me? Maybe an anecdote about how you started using free weights?

Replies

• cassondra13705
    cassondra13705 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I avoided free weights like the plague until I was 25. I spend a couple years in a crossfit gym and now have a home gym. No real advice except don't be intimidated! It's great you are getting some instruction.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    MessyApron wrote: »
    All the research I've done has lead me to the conclusion that weighted squats and deadlifts will do much more for me than running on a treadmill ever could.
    I don't know about more, but these exercises will certainly work toward different fitness goals. Cardio will do some things for you that squats and deadlifts never will. And squats and deadlifts will do things for you that cardio will never touch.
    To get around this I've requested a session with I've of their on-staff personal trainers to help me develop a routine and teach me the right to use the equipment.
    Does anyone have any tips or pointers for me? Maybe an anecdote about how you started using free weights?
    Sounds to me like you're going about this exactly the right way. Getting over that feeling of intimidation is nothing more than becoming used to the equipment, form, and establishing a routine.
  • michellebirtleeds
    michellebirtleeds Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I also paid for a couple of sessions with a trainer to learn to use weights. I use Youtube to try to improve my form from there. Every year or so I pay for a couple more sessions with a trainer for form check and form advice that is more personalized than Youtube.

I used to hate free weights and now I do lifting 3X a week. Can I give you some advice that helped me? Learn the lifts and try them several times to get a feel for them. If you absolutely hate one lift--don't do it. I personally loathe bench press, and that kept me from any kind of lifting for a long time because it seemed like *the* lift that all weightlifters have to do. Things got better when I gave myself permission to ignore it.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    i got a free hour with a trainer. I showed up prepared with a book of the moves i needed to learn properly and specific questions. trainers are extemsive pick a program you wanna follow do your research online and come prepared to learn what you cant off youtube. Youll thank yourself later. Way beter to be prepared for what YOU need vs just sort of pissing around wasting the time. My trainer was impressed lol i was worried id offend her :p
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    @ccsernica Thank you for the feedback. I know running has its benefits for cardiovascular health and endurance, and I genuinely enjoy running
    You will likely also find that the weight training helps your running. I did. More muscle development will always help other functional activities.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Look into what programs your Y offers. Mine offers FITPATH which is a series of free fitness consults, including an intro to weights if desired. We also have an intro to weights class and a women on weights class. These include machines and free weights and get you comfortable in the weight room. There are always staff in the Weight room you assist you. Personal trainers are available for a fee or you can bring your own.
    Personally, I found working with a trainer at a private studio (before I considered joining the Y) was most helpful because I benefit from the repeated practice to get comfortable and remember all the details. It's hard when someone shows me how once or twice then I'm left on my own. I'm still that way with new equipment or exercises.
  • buffalogal42
    buffalogal42 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    It is absolutely worth paying for a couple of sessions with a trainer to get the form right. Lifting is awesome - I was terrified of “that side of the gym” for so long. But knowing what to do has given me the confidence to crush it. The boys know not to get in my way! Lol
  • Anamargonz
    Anamargonz Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hi @MessyApron !
    I can see myself on u. A couple of years ago I started lifting after maaaaany years of just pure cardio and not seeing the results I wanted.
    My advice... Dont be intimidated, do some research onlinr about the exercises that could help u to achieve ur goals, ask for help to the trainers in the gym if u dont know how to carry out an exercise, that is what they are there for....
    I am not an expert but I think I have a pretty good idea of what muscles I am exercising and most important the posture u take during the exercise.
    I must say that now I love going to the gym. Never before I have seen results so fast and have fun testing and pushing myself every training day.

Best of luck!!
  • amyteacake
    amyteacake Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I had a trainee teach me about free weights and then I started to look up different workouts I could do with them and ones that I've started to incorporate into my workout. The free weighs are great and I really need to start using them more!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    amyteacake wrote: »
    I had a trainee teach me about free weights and then I started to look up different workouts I could do with them and ones that I've started to incorporate into my workout. The free weighs are great and I really need to start using them more!

Wouldn't you be the trainee and the person training be the trainer?
  • leannehathaway1
    leannehathaway1 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Would def recommend seeing a trainer for even just a couple sessions if nothing more. I to was intimidated by the free weights and the whole vibe in that part of the gym until I started with my trainer. Now that is our main focus during my sessions and it’s given me the confidence and knowledge to lift in my own too. It’s a much harder workout than any machine will offer you!
  • nic_27_grassisgreener
    Options
    I know you already said you don't want to do dumbbells, but I personally decided to start there. I was very worried about my squatting form (and overall weakness), and wanted to start smaller. I read the starting strength book, that's the program I'm doing now. It's a great book! I watched a lot of youtube videos (Alan Thrall has some on deadlifts and squatting that I found useful). Start with the empty bar, and practice your form.

After all of that, my biggest hurdle was my fear in entering *that* part of the gym. It's scary, but worth it. Go when the gym is not as busy, that helped me to not be as self conscious.

Good luck!!
  • gtm197
    gtm197 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    My non-scale fitness goals for 2018 are to build functional strength and work on body recomposition. I have a YMCA membership, and I've used most of their equipment before; the cardio machines, the weight machines, and (dabbled with) kettle bells, but I really want to use the free weights. All the research I've done has lead me to the conclusion that weighted squats and deadlifts will do much more for me than running on a treadmill ever could.
    The problem is that I have no idea what I'm doing, and I don't want to injure myself or damage any of the equipment or inconvenience the other people using that area with my inexperienced bumbling.

Go to Amazon and order this book: Strength Training Anatomy by Frederic Delavier

https://www.amazon.com/Delaviers-Strength-Training-Anatomy-Workouts/dp/1450466036/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1519064610&sr=8-3&keywords=strength+training+anatomy+women&dpID=51cPuK5bbJL&preST=_SX218_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_&dpSrc=srch
  • gtm197
    gtm197 Posts: 58 Member
    Options

Women's Strength Training Anatomy Workouts

https://www.amazon.com/Delaviers-Strength-Training-Anatomy-Workouts/dp/1450466036/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1519064610&sr=8-3&keywords=strength+training+anatomy+women&dpID=51cPuK5bbJL&preST=_SX218_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_&dpSrc=srch