Why am i gaining weight?

Options
kaykayolson93
kaykayolson93 Posts: 21 Member
edited February 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
I generally eat between 1000-1200 calories a day. Once a week usually I'll be closer to 1400. I am 1 month and 10 days into my diet. I had lost just about 15 pounds but than stalled out on weight loss for 3 days and now for the past 3 days have been gaining weight. I'm up 3 pounds! I just don't understand what I'm doing wrong. I swim laps twice a week and just started doing zumba once a week and usually go for a walk alltleast once a week. Starting weight was 205 I'm now 192.6. What am I doing wrong that is making me gain instead of loose?

Replies

• RachellaJ
    RachellaJ Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Have you eaten a lot of salt? Is it your time of the month? There are varying factors, but remember that weight loss is not linear; everyone has ups and downs even when they are within their calories. 15 lbs is a great start! Don’t give up, just make sure you are accurately weighting and tracking your food and it will keep coming off.
  • netitheyeti
    netitheyeti Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    salty food? not.. uh... "going" as regularly as usual? new exercise routine? if you're a woman - that time of the month? any of those will easily make me temporarily gain up to 5lbs
  • kaykayolson93
    Options
    salty food? not.. uh... "going" as regularly as usual? new exercise routine? if you're a woman - that time of the month? any of those will easily make me temporarily gain up to 5lbs

I did just start doing zumba and it's been since my First Class that I've been gaining. I wasn't aware a new workout could increase weight.
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options

I did just start doing zumba and it's been since my First Class that I've been gaining. I wasn't aware a new workout could increase weight.

When you start new exercise regimes, your muscles will retain water to aid in repair.
    Give it time, it will drop off again.
  • kaykayolson93
    Options
    3 days, are you really that impatient?

Lol I am. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong that would make me continue to gain. 3 days is fine I just didn't want to gain it all back by making some stupid mistake that I was unaware of.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options

I also wonder if you’re eating enough. 1,000-1,200cal per day is very low. Starvation mode is a thing.... the idea is to eat up to the calories MFP gives you, you should still lose weight. I’ve read comments on here in the past where people have done the same thing and struggled to lose.... sometimes you need to feed your body to lose weight!

Starvation mode is not a thing to make you gain weight. If you're eating less calories than you burn you should have weight loss. If starvation mode were a thing how do people with eating disorders get so thin and lose so much weight.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,867 Member
    Options
    Look at weight trend over time and adjust based on 4 to 6 week long stretches of results based on your trend.

It is obvious from your results that your current deficit is excessive.

Eat more to support your activity level and continued healthy weight loss at a slower rate.

Lots of things cause water retention and weight bounces around. Educate yourself on this to avoid poisoning excellent results with unreasonable expectations...

Same applies to rate of loss...

Take care and have fun!

• OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I started weight training this week and gained 3 over pounds. Why? Well going to the gym every day seriously altered my schedule so I missed lunch a couple days in a row. Then I got so hungry I couldn't think straight and ordered who knows how many calories worth of Chinese takeout. Took more than two days to eat it but certainly more calories than I had been eating and a whole lot saltier so added water weight as well. But the bottom line is life is gonna throw curveballs and weight is going to go up and down no matter what. Keeping the trend line headed in the right direction over the long haul is all that matters to me.

Turned my 4-week weight change graph into the shape of a fish hook but it will turn around again and this will just be a little bump in a long road.
    uq5lmy70tb2b.png
  • kaykayolson93
    Options
    Do you usually gain weight ffrom a cheat meal? How many calories for the day do you usually have when you have a cheat meal? I had a date night the other night and ate 2534 calories for the day. I weighed my self today (2 days after meal) and I gained 2lbs. Is it from the cheat meal?
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Do you usually gain weight ffrom a cheat meal? How many calories for the day do you usually have when you have a cheat meal? I had a date night the other night and ate 2534 calories for the day. I weighed my self today (2 days after meal) and I gained 2lbs. Is it from the cheat meal?

Chances are its water weight (sodium, carbs, alcohol can all do that). Push the water and go back to your routine. It will be gone within a few days.