Slow yoga/pilates videos for beginners?

Options
Please post here

I was on another fitness site, and I watched a "beginner" yoga and pilates video... because I weigh twice what I should, and am not flexible, I had trouble keeping up with the video, and figuring out exactly what the instructor was asking us to do. The video was already supposed to be slow, but it was still 2-3x faster than what I could deal with!

What would you recommend for an absolute beginner? Should I even be following a video, or should I just be looking up diagrams on google and trying to replicate them? I read that it's not about speed, but about how you engage your core, and how accurate/effective your movements are. So whats the rush in the videos then?

And also, how many different yoga or pilates movements are there besides like downward dog? Could I put my own program together, or move through something at my own pace?

I want to get the benefits from doing yoga/pilates, but feel like I'll never be the right fitness level, size or flexibility. It's frustrating, because I feel like I could actually do some of the movements if I could see the tv screen from every angle on my yoga mat, or had an instructor there with me, but not moving at ninja speed.

Replies

• justlog
    justlog Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Various styles of yoga. To start, I found this to be a great place to begin: Gentle Yoga: 7 Beginning Yoga Practices for Mid-life (40's - 70's) including AM Energy, PM Relaxation, Improving Balance, Relief from Desk Work, Core Strength, and more. - Jane Adams

Pilates is a different practice than yoga. Involves more focus on engaging core, etc... Again, different styles of Pilates. Though I began with a book & a DVD, I quickly moved to a teacher who could pinpoint all of the subtle nuances which allowed the most benefit and reduced injury. The DVD I used is "Pilates for Beginners" - Kristin McGee. Book is "The Pilates Body: The Ultimate At-Home Guide to Strengthening, Lengthening and Toning Your Body" - Brooke Siler.

There are a gazillion of clips on YT for Yoga & Pilates. Depends on your comfort level and how involved you want to go with it.

• dreamer12151
    dreamer12151 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Personally, I love YogaTX on YouTube. The specific yogi I like is Cole Chance, yes, I "stalk" her on other social media as well! But other yogi's there are good, too. They do take the time & explain moves. For a more fun Pilates work out, try "Bolilates" by Cassey Ho, also on YouTube, but she also has a web-site. She has monthly challenges, and a slew of videos, some starting at the very beginning.

Check out some local studios, sometimes they will offer a deal on 1st classes, you can get a good feel or help on some moves.

And PLEASE don't worry about your weight or flexibility. Everyone starts somewhere, just start at YOUR level & build up from there. So what if you don't hit every move now, or look like a perfect yogi now...keep at it, build up your flexibility & stamina, eventually you will get better, and before you know it, you will be going with the flow!
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Have you seen Windsor Pilates? You can watch the beginner video on Youtube. It's a very slow pace and Mari does a great job of explaining what you should be doing.
    You can also look into restorative yoga on Youtube. It will help you get the feel for the very beginner poses.
  • wi1234567890
    wi1234567890 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I would recommend that you start with a Jessica Smith video. She a free yoga video on YouTube and also a dvd that you can buy.
  • Crosbinium
    Crosbinium Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Gaiam Easy Pilates - I downloaded it from Amazon. It’s is a 25 min video that teaches some foundational moves.
    Yoga: Just My Size With Megan Garcia
  • jmw6019
    jmw6019 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Some good inspiration on instagram. Love seeing her yoga progress. https://www.instagram.com/dollyswholelife
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    Consider Tai Chi instead. Some of the benefits of yoga/pilates (works core, gentle on the body, mindfulness training) along with it's slow and rhythmic, intentionally very slow paced. It works on body flow, balance, gentle conditioning and flexibility all at the same time.
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I find yoga with Adrienne is a good pace beginners and she has some videos specifically for beginners
  • DamienAngelica
    DamienAngelica Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    sarjenki wrote: »
    I find yoga with Adrienne is a good pace beginners and she has some videos specifically for beginners

I second this recommendation.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    For an absolute beginner the real best thing to do is work with a trainer for several sessions to understand the positions and getting in and out of them and what workable alternative positions look and feel like.

Then you can progress to video or book drills.

Which reminds me, I need to try that one pose we were talking about a few weeks back.
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I'm not a huge fan of yoga, and I'm not particularly flexible (my hamstrings are always embarrassingly tight) but I've done well with the Beach Body Yoga Retreat. It's a 3 week program but I honestly haven't followed it in that way, I just do a video 2-3 times a week at my own pace. They are great about slowly explain moves though, and the first "week" is just about learning the movements. Plus they don't say phrases that irritate me like "breathe through your pelvis" like most crunchy granola yoga videos I've seen before.
  • boehle
    boehle Posts: 5,062 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about a class?
    My first time with Yoga was a 101 class and granted I didn't know most the poses, she helped a lot.