Do you work out when you're sick?

Options
ahavoc
ahavoc Posts: 464 Member
I feel like I'm getting a cold, always a set back for me. I've got the beginning post nasal drip, the sinus pain, it sure seems like it. I started taking my elderberry zinc lozenges to thwart it, but I'm supposed to work out tomorrow, and weigh in or course, so I'm wondering, how does everyone else handle being ill and 1) dieting and 2) working out.

Replies

• vallejos6
    vallejos6 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    With a head cold, I always go ahead and work out, actually seems to make me feel better. If I have chest congestion I don't, because it's just too hard to breathe. If I had fever, body aches, I'd probably just rest and wait to feel better until working out again.

~~Veronica
  • jesilva80
    jesilva80 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I have felt bad since friday, im trying my best to complete my exercises but i dont feel as if im putting my all into it, but i dont want to give up and stop.
  • sufikitkat
    sufikitkat Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    symptoms above the neck (minus a headache or severe congestion) work out. Symptoms below the neck such as sore throat, cough, upset stomach, etc, stay home and rest :-)
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I always go workout when I'm sick.

"Sweat it out."
  • hm_day
    hm_day Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Try to keep your workouts to a minimum when you're sick. Go for a walk, not a run. It's good to do a little cardio, but your body won't be able to handle a regular workout when it's trying to fight off a cold. Your immune system doesn't work that way.
  • ambermichon
    ambermichon Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I was told from neck up its ok....anything neck down, including fever, cough etc you should rest until you are better otherwise you could prolong the sickness. I find if I take a good 2 days to get better thats better for me than trying to exercise when I am sick.
  • yeahfatty
    yeahfatty Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    no way .. i stay home & cry!
  • RebelliousRibbons
    RebelliousRibbons Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I had the stomach flu yesterday, so obviously I won't be working out for a few days. XD
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I'm on the downside of a cold right now and I just can't work out when my chest is congested. I'll deal with the sore throat and the stuffy nose (I ran 4 miles last Saturday when it was just setting in), but when I can't breathe well, it's time to tap out. I have been riding my exercise bike at a very easy pace (200 calories/hour) just to keep things moving, but even running a half mile leaves me with a coughing jag that lasts for hours. I know, because I just had to try it. :noway:
  • Tracy184
    Tracy184 Posts: 74
    Options
    I always figure my body needs my energy reserves to make itself better, so I don't exercise. The most I'd do is a moderate walk to get the blood flowing. And then only if there's no fever and all symptoms are above the neck.
  • carrie1128
    carrie1128 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Unless I'm puking or have a fever, I give it a try. I take one day off a week anyway so if I felt horrible, that would be my day off. I have had a terrible sore throat for a few days but I've forced myself to workout since I've been a slacker on vacation for a week.
  • sf08003
    sf08003 Posts: 30
    Options
    I usually work out as long as there's no fever or congestion that would impair my breathing. Of course, if I am coughing and I want to work out in a gym, that's a no-no in my book and I would stay home. Otherwise, working out makes me feel better.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,568 Member
    Options
    If you're sick (not a cold, but suffering from fever, etc.) then stay home. If you try to work out, you will compromise your immune system and it will have a harder time ridding your body of the ailment.
  • IrishCloud
    Options
    Only You know how you feel....if your sick then don't put your body under any extra stress,
    If you don't feel well enough to work out........ then don't.
    your body needs a bit of time to recover ,so give it what it wants and you'll feel great again in no time.
    Get Well Soon :flowerforyou:
  • Abigailblue39
    Abigailblue39 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    In never work out on my own when I'm sick. I still teach my aerobics classes when I'm sick, tho
  • kerrbear79
    kerrbear79 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Right now I have a cold with severe congestion (can't taste or smell a thing). It is driving me crazy that I can't work out right now. I NEVER miss my scheduled work outs but sometimes you just have to. I figured if I can't breathe through my nose then how the heck would I be able to work out.
  • bethy0316
    Options
    I have been sick for over a week with a head cold that has moved into my chest ... I have worked out every day. I would feel worse about everything if I didn't.
  • Ianultrarunner
    Ianultrarunner Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I have gone to the gym when I'm sick but I listen to what my body tells me.
    If you're feeling too weak it might be better to use some cans from the pantry if you have any and just do some light exercises at home.
    I've actually aborted a few work outs when I've not been sick because of other physical symptoms such as light headiness or sudden weakness (jelly legs).
  • livingonpurpose77
    livingonpurpose77 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'll workout as long as it doesn't hit my throat (sore throat, cough, ect) or below. I may not look pretty with the nasal drip but with enough tissue, I usually manage to get it done. I wont lie though, I am NOT one of those who'll "feel better" working out when sick. I still feel gross. Relaxing afterword's doing something I find relaxing is what make me feel better so a cup of hot tea with honey, a blanket, and a book usually gets me there :)
  • Gianmendoza
    Options
    Usually just do what you can but still try what you usually do but if you cant thats ok =)
    At least your trying and putting in the effort!

Keep up the good work! =)