Those 3+ years maintaining

Options
Curious for those who have been maintaining 3 years or more....what sustainable lifestyle changes have you incorporated? Logging, exercise, meals, rest etc...Do they take discipline or have they become more of a habit? And how has this particular change worked for you to help overcome past struggles to lose or maintain. Thanks!

Replies

• swim777
    swim777 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I have maintained a healthy weight for 3 years, 4 months. I don't track food in my food diary anymore, but I plan my meals in a spreadsheet, and don't delete, so it acts like a log. I eat regular meals, balanced and varied meals I look forward to, no snacks, and aim to have only planned treats. I weigh myself every morning, and use the weight trend to decide size and frequency of treats. I don't do much exercise just to exercise, but I walk, dance and play. I aim to go to bed before midnight :# The things I do have become habits, but I still need discipline to stick to them. I am much more flexible and relaxed, and at the same time more vigilant, now, this means that I'm caring for myself, getting my needs and wants more in line, so I don't feel the resentment and urge to rebel, like I used to, which always lead to "falling off the wagon" and feeling miserable. There is no wagon. It's just days followed my more days. AKA life.

Hmmmm I want to be you when I “grow up!”
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    swim777 wrote: »
    I have maintained a healthy weight for 3 years, 4 months. I don't track food in my food diary anymore, but I plan my meals in a spreadsheet, and don't delete, so it acts like a log. I eat regular meals, balanced and varied meals I look forward to, no snacks, and aim to have only planned treats. I weigh myself every morning, and use the weight trend to decide size and frequency of treats. I don't do much exercise just to exercise, but I walk, dance and play. I aim to go to bed before midnight :# The things I do have become habits, but I still need discipline to stick to them. I am much more flexible and relaxed, and at the same time more vigilant, now, this means that I'm caring for myself, getting my needs and wants more in line, so I don't feel the resentment and urge to rebel, like I used to, which always lead to "falling off the wagon" and feeling miserable. There is no wagon. It's just days followed my more days. AKA life.

Hmmmm I want to be you when I “grow up!”
    Well - last night "3+ years" would have been a more befitting desciption, when my #¤%& dishwasher wouldn't let me fill it with the things I needed to wash. "Let's equip this thing with room at both sides!", said idiot designer. "I hate you!", I said. Ok, cried.
  • dailyzey
    dailyzey Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    rainbow198 wrote: »
    Consistency, having variety and not being hard on myself helped me to reach my goal (80+ pounds gone and 7 dress sizes lost). I'm in my 5th year of maintaining a 10 pound range.

Here are some of the things I do that helps me maintain my weight:

- Getting in a workout first thing in the morning.
    - Planning my meals and workout for the next day the night before.
    - Not cutting foods out, but being aware of my calories intake and portion control.
    - Keeping a journal where I keep tabs on my food intake, exercise, measurements, weight and any notes for the day.
    - Food prepping on Sundays (I do things like boil eggs, make protein bars and veggie burgers etc., not the meal in the container thing).
    - Proper, good quality sleep.
    - I eat good-sized balanced meals and cut out all snacking (which got me into trouble).
    - I'm always trying new recipes, workouts and activities and keep making new fitness goals.
    - I move as much as I can during the day. Park further and walk. I run around with my puppy/take him out on walk several times a day. Do bodyweight exercises while watching TV. Take short breaks while working and do 5 - 10 mins. of exercise. All of this really adds up.

Lastly, I just keep going. I'm very proud of myself and I love the way I look and feel, but I still continue to keep working at it everyday.

It took time for all of this to come together and some things were quite challenging, but again I just kept going. Once I kept doing the above day in and day out it became a habit. And now it's my new normal.

Good luck! :)

This is amazing. Kudos to you. Thanks for sharing
  • 1fitwong
    1fitwong Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks for taking the time to respond. Seems it’s a mix of things you all enjoy mixed with a bit of purposeful intention. A recipe for sustainable success...I love that!

• 1fitwong
    1fitwong Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Congrats to all on maintaining your success! Appreciate all of your great insights! Hear ya, noted and applying .

You are right about fitness goals...they have certainly been more fun and motivating than any maddening scale goals.