Calories?

Options
Hi,
I have been using MFP on and off for years and it has tracked my weight since when I first started.
Everytime I started MFP I’d cut myself down to only 1200 calories a day and eventually I would fail.
Since 01/01/2018 I have lost a total of 12 lb, but I’ve been eating anywhere from 1300-1700 calories, but keeping mostly around 1450-1600.

1200 calories is too little for me and I am trying to find out what everyone else’s calorie intake is?

Also, add me as a friend to support each other!❤️

Replies

• Meelisv
    Meelisv Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    ~20-25% deficeit is usually considered optimal and sustainable. So exact amount depends on your TDEE which includes your activities. In my case, my TDEE should be 2400-2500 with my typical activity, though some days I am more active, so calorie burn is higher. I 'm trying to keep my calorie consumption under 2000 but not below my MBR which is bit under 1800.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,106 Member
    Options
    Your calorie allowance is based a calculation using your BMR (Your body's resting calorie needs which is based on your gender, age, height & weight), it is then multiplied based on your activity level chosen (that of your work/home/school life) to approximate your non-exercise calorie burn per day and finally your calorie deficit for your chosen rate of loss is deducted (250 cals per 0.5lbs). It will not go lower than 1200 calories to ensure you get adequate minimum nutrition as a female. It does not account for any exercise so any intentional exercise should be logged which will then increase your calorie allowance accordingly.

So if you found 1200 to low that's likely because you set too aggressive a rate of loss, weren't honest about your activity level and/or weren't accounting for your exercise.

I have lost on 1500-1800 net calories which on an active day can be as much as 2500 calories actual food.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    On most days I am at about 1400 to 1500 minimum, 1700 if I exercise. On very rare occasions I have only 1200 cals. Usually if I have been excessively busy and made no time to eat (but then I usually feel very fatigued or ravenous the next day)
  • darrenbradshaw82
    Options
    My daily target is 1940. Easier some days than others. Have days where I fall 500 below that and days where in 500 over that but they even out and have more days under than over
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I have been using MFP on and off for years and it has tracked my weight since when I first started.
    Everytime I started MFP I’d cut myself down to only 1200 calories a day and eventually I would fail.
    Since 01/01/2018 I have lost a total of 12 lb, but I’ve been eating anywhere from 1300-1700 calories, but keeping mostly around 1450-1600.

1200 calories is too little for me and I am trying to find out what everyone else’s calorie intake is?

Also, add me as a friend to support each other!❤️

That is awesome that you have found your eating sweet spot for weight management. It is a fact we are all different to some extent and it can take a while to find our best WOE.

While I do not monitor my total daily calories I do compute mine from time to time. For the most part I stay in the 2000-2500 range. For great appetite suppression and pain management I to try to keep my total daily carbs just under 50 grams. Not eating any food with added sugar and/or any grain from any form I mainly have to watch over eating fruit and nuts since I love both. I have been under 200 now for three years after being well over 200 for the prior 25 years of yo-yoing diets that always lead to a 100%+ regains.

Best of continued success.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    My calorie budget as a sedentary male seeking to lose 0.5 lb per week is 1730 per day, which means that my maintenance is about 1980. I've gotten so accustomed to my 1730 budget that when I tried to consume at maintenance, I failed to stop eating the things. And gained. So now I'm back to 1730.