I want to be a runner...

Options
I hate to run. I have always hated running. But I don't want to hate it anymore. I want to be able to run any time I want. But I don't know how to start training myself to be a runner? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Replies

• wildcard29
    wildcard29 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    C25k program...www.c25k.com/.....I love it
  • TxAngel79
    TxAngel79 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I was thinking the same thing earlier!
  • annieb49
    Options
    Check out the Couch to 5K program. It gets you started really slowly into running!
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Yup, the Couch to 5k program turned this former couch potato- won't run unless being chased with a big knife-former chubby woman into a runner! Even training for a 1/2 marathon now! It really works... just give it a try! What have you got to lose/??
  • chrissyb571
    Options
    The Couch to 5K is great..I am starting this week, hoping to run a 5K on September 10
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I'll also recommend C25K with this caveat: if you need to take it slower, then do. Re-do weeks if you don't feel comfortable moving on to the next level. It's not about running to meet their schedule, it's about making running fun and easy for you. Enjoy!
  • HeatherSuzanne123
    Options
    Can I ask you why you want to run, especially if you hate it? However, with that being said, I guess I was kind of the same way. Then, almost 2 years ago a friend asked me to run a 10k with her. I had never ran a day in my life! I put on a pair of shoes one day and just started running. I actually didn't enjoy it all, even then. Then, I ran the 10k and from then on I was hooked. If you really want to start running, I would good novice running programs, there are millions out there and pick one that best suits you. But, if you find you still hate it, move on to something else. Best of luck and happy running!
  • JenaleeJabaut
    Options
    :smile: Good thing we became friends lol! I work at a specialty running store and lead a couple social running programs. We are always helping people to start running. I have trained for a half marathon and run 5K's here and there. First off, where are you running? Find a place that you love to run at. Best would be some place close so you don't have to work hard to get there. Second bring music, a friend, and enthusiasm! I don't know how far you have run, but once you get past 3 miles it becomes an addiction! Reason for it is because of the endorphins relased once you get past 30 minutes and after an hour you can't wipe the smile off your face! It takes a couple weeks to fully start feeling the changes in your body. The way you use to become fatigued takes longer and feels different. It encourages you to push yourself harder and reach goals you once thought impossible!
  • mccrockl
    mccrockl Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I didn't do the couch to 5k so I don't know much about it. I started by walking with short bits of jogging mixed in regularly. Doing this on a track helped so that I could evenly space the walking and jogging. Then as I felt comfortable I stretched out the jogs between the walking. Eventually, I started cutting out the walking. I never pushed it to the point that I was miserable. I got up to jogging 5 miles straight within a few months. Anyway, good luck with whatever you choose to do.
  • adamcf
    adamcf Posts: 126
    Options
    I hadn't heard of c25k before getting on MFP. But I wish I had. I started running earlier this year and I didn't really like it either. But now I love it. Here is a good way to find your "love" of running. Just start running. commit to 4 days a week. It doesn't matter how far you run. But it does matter how long. try for at least twenty minutes. Run out in one directions and walk back. Try to go a little longer or a little further each run. Eat right and run like this for 2 weeks. The Saturday after the two weeks plan for a long run. Eat oatmeal for breakfast, wait two hours and do the long run. You'll feel awesome. It'll all come together during that run.
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    C25k program...www.c25k.com/.....I love it

Yes! I just finished my W1D3 workout (I do it on a treadmill) and I already seriously love it! A bunch of my family members are doing this and there's a local 5k in about 9 more weeks that we're all going to run together. It's a lot more fun, IMO, when you get to compete with other people that are also new at running. There's a facebook page for C25K too that you can join that's pretty cool too. Good luck!
  • jenajkay
    Options
    I just started running in March, and have quickly come to love what I used to loathe. I didn't start off using any C25K programs or anything like that, just lots of walking at first. My biggest motivator was being able to burn more calories in half the time. My advice to you would be 1) Push yourself walking first. Do hills, brisk paces, etc to get your CV system in shape. 2) Get some good tunes. 3) Find a local running group to join. 4) Invest in good shoes, fitted for your needs. If you hurt, you won't run. 5) Give yourself rest days; if you're not feeling it, take a break and switch up with some elliptical or other aerobic exercise. 6) Do not concern yourself with speed, or keeping up with someone else. All of these suggestions come straight from my experiences, and I hope they help you. Running has become such a love for me now. It's an awesome way to get away to clear my head. Also, there's nothing like finding yourself in the midst of a few thousand like-minded people at a race. Good luck and happy running!

4992261.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • dbaronness
    Options
    Thank you for your advice all. I am super excited to see what works for me.