I've binged badly this week on a number of occasions

Replies

• Fivefootcaloriecounter
    Options
    Need advice guys ....

• Fivefootcaloriecounter
    Options
    what does everyone do when they binge ? I look at my calories on a weekly basis so I always try to restrict for the rest of the week to compensate
  • sarajbright3613
    sarajbright3613 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I binged yesterday for the first time in ages, mainly on peanut butter sandwiches! I have no idea why . This morning I put every extra crumb into my food diary, deleted the exercise I never got round to doing because of various delays and frustrations of the day and looked at the message that said 'if every day was like this you would be 13st 8 in 5 weeks' and I think that was a conservative estimate! New day, new diary, peanut butter in the bin. Not going to compensate or cut low. One bad day won't make me fatter, one good day won't make me slimmer. Also I felt really bloated in the evening so I'm not tempted to repeat it.
  • buggsby83
    buggsby83 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    My advice is to start looking at your calories per day instead of per week. In my opinion it'll be easier to forgive yourself and start anew when you have a binge, rather than beat yourself up for the rest of the week and try to compensate.

Binges happen sometimes, lord knows they happen to me. When I end up overeating or binging I treat myself like I just got into a fight. I wrap up in comfortable clothes, take a nice soothing shower, curl up on the couch with some water or hot tea to comfort my tummy and just take some me time.
  • fatguy_fitness
    fatguy_fitness Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I've struggled with emotional binges as well. In fact, yesterday I could feel one coming on. I was standing in front of the pantry searching for something to shove in my face, but I talked myself out of it. I haven't always been so lucky. I had one a few months ago that lasted a few weeks.

-Get the food out of sight. I once took all the junk food and put it on a shelf in my pantry and covered it with a pillow case.

-If you feel like binging, try another activity. Go for a walk, go to the gym, etc.

-If you feel one coming on reach out to friend, relative or even someone on here. (Hell, shoot me a message if you want). Talk to them and talk through it.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,997 Member
    Options
    Consistent daily intake is the way forward.

Binge/restrict is frustrating and you don't need to do that. Set your goals reasonably and eat the amount suggested, include a couple hundred more on exercise days.

• fatguy_fitness
    fatguy_fitness Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Also if you binge, leave it at that. Start fresh the next day.
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    You have to be discipline.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    If you have a binge or overeating episode, ask yourself why? Reflect on what the root cause may have been, and try to avoid it in the future. Ask yourself how were you feeling? Was it because you were feeling ravenously hungry? Were you feeling emotional? If it was hunger look at your calories. If you ate too few and had plenty of room to eat up to your maintenance, simply bump up your calories. You might not lose as fast as you'd like, but it'll come off eventually. Did you meet or exceed your calorie goal, but were still hungry? Look at your macros and see where you could make some tweaks to make your food last longer in your tummy. Maybe bump up your protein, fats, or fiber all of which help your food stick around. Lastly, if it was because of emotional eating, try to replace the behavior of eating, with something else you enjoy. Reading a book, drinking some hot tea, going for a walk, pamper yourself, whatever helps you cope with that emotion without turning to food. And something I have to remind myself of- is that it doesn't need to happen fast. So just take it easy on yourself, and move on to the next day. Good luck. :blush:
  • Sam29a
    Sam29a Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I suffer from binge eating too. I thought I had got over it as I'd stopped for a year and a half, but it seems to have come back in full force over the last half a year - just as I was within a few pounds of my ultimate goal weight! I binge when I feel hungry and also when I feel fat and think what's the point, I'm fat anyway.

When I've binged, I try to just forget it and go back to eating normally the next day. I don't try to compensate by undereating the next few days, as I know that will only lead to more binge eating. Seriously, that's the worst thing you could do.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Um. Sometimes I restrict a little for the rest of the week. I actually tend not to restrict if it was an out of control binge. I feel like it is just too harsh of a punishment when I already feel bad for doing it.

If I have a dumbass high calorie day, because I was having fun at a party or something, I'll clean up for a couple of days.

I struggle though. I'm working on "self compassion" (barf) when it comes to these binges. It's much easier to be hard on yourself.
  • UltraVegAthlete
    UltraVegAthlete Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I went through 6-7 months of binging and it’s just recently stopped. I had this period of extreme hunger in August..it was crazy. I could eat between 4-7k in a day easily, but I was so active that I didn’t gain anything. I actually lost more weight! Then school started and I kept binging, but I wasn’t riding my bike everywhere or walking around or running as far, and I was sitting for 8 hours or more a day, so I gained 20 lbs. I’ve learned that I can’t restrict the types of food I eat. If I want Dates, I’m going to eat Dates. If I want popcorn, I’m going to eat popcorn. Even if I go over my calories, even if I gain weight...because as long as I can let myself have what I’m craving, the cravings will eventually go away overtime. As long as I am able to feel good, get good sleep, be able to concentrate, and run as much as I want without feeling like it’s a chore, then I’ll be fine.
    After a binge, i never restricted my intake the rest of the week. I ate as healthy as I could, but made sure to only eat what I wanted (lots of fruit and vegetables and popcorn haha). I wouldn’t even go for a run to try and burn the calories, because that’s not why I run. Drink water, listen to your body, and relax. You have years ahead of you to lose the weight slowly and maintain that weight. Health first.
  • threec
    threec Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    no point in obsessing over what’s already done. I haven’t stopped eating for the last three days, and nothing healthy. It’s that time of the month, I’ve been sick since the 4th and i haven’t been logging since I got this plague and as much as I’m dreading the scale I really don’t care. Come tomorrow I’ve got to get on it, face the scale and get back on the wagon, but what’s done is done and I can’t change it. Just have to accept it and roll with it.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Need advice guys ....

@Fivefootcaloriecounter I do not have any advice but at the age of 63 and health failing fast on a hunch I cut out all foods with added sugar and/or all foods containing any form of any grain.

Well the first two weeks were hellish (did not know I had a problem with carbs) but within 30 days from the start my arthritis pain was down from 7-8 levels to only 2-3 levels and now it stays <1 most of the time.

The carb cravings left quickly as did my pain and 50 pounds of excess weight. If I keep total carbs under 50 grams daily the cravings do not come back.

Keep looking and testing and you will find the best Way Of Eating for your body at this point in life. Best of success.
  • dena789
    dena789 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I know how you are feeling but I agree with others who have advised not to restrict calories to try to "make up" for the binge. I came up with something that works for me and perhaps you may find helpful.

First off, I did what most of us do when we decide to get on this weight loss roller coaster. I set my goal to lose 2 pounds per week and MFP set my calories at 1200 per day. I tried that for a while and was getting really discouraged. Then, I decided to see how many calories I’d have daily if I set my goal to lose just one pound per week. MFP said I could have 1530 per day. So, I left it set with the one pound goal but I look at that calorie number as my maximum per day. I consider the 1200 as my minimum per day. This gives me some wiggle room to have a little extra on some days when I really need it without feeling like I am "blowing it" for the day. My weight loss has worked out to about 1.5 pounds a week which I am ok with. I also have learned to LOG EVERYTHING no matter what. Sometimes the damage isn’t as bad as I thought it would be. If I’m over on a day, that was what I needed that day. The next day is a new slate and I start again at zero.
  • eminater
    eminater Posts: 2,477 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    One bad day won't make me fatter, one good day won't make me slimmer.

I love this. Let go of the guilt and make today a good day. Do that every day until your binge is behind you.

Although I would think about what others said - why did you binge? Hunger or emotions. Are you calories too low?

BTW - don't restrict heavily on the next day after a binge, always try to him your calorie goal.
  • zafira
    zafira Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I had a 4 day binge from weds to sat - put on 6.5 lbs in those 4 days! :# Back to it today - just got to let it go and get back to it ..