18 weeks pregnant best tips from experienced pregos

Options
Hi, im 24 & 18 weeks pregnant with my first! I started at a slightly higher weight 160-5'6 and kinda blamed currently being in graduate school (i'll have my DNP in '20) and working (finally got dayshift and part-time so i can no longer use the "night shift" excuse). At this point im up 9 pounds (although I'm guessing 2-3 pounds is pure water-swelling) and I would LOVEEEEE to know some tips from those who have survived pregnancy with a 25-30 lb gained.

What did you eat? Avoid? Carbs?

I do cardio x2 weekly. What did you do?

Replies

• kelseymallen
    kelseymallen Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Hi there. Congratulations! My daughter is 2 1/2 months old now and I’m working on losing the last few pounds I gained while I was pregnant. I was similar to you, a little heavy for my height. My OB recommended I gain between 25-30 lbs., and I ended up gaining the full thirty. During my pregnancy, I did some weightlifting (check with your doctor about weight limits), and about 2 hours of cardio per week until I was too big and uncomfortable to workout anymore which was around 8 months for me. I only avoided foods that aren’t recommended for pregnant women: raw fish, unheated deli meat, caffeine, etc. Otherwise, I ate what I felt like as long as it fit in my calorie budget. I kept my activity level set for my daily routine (sedentary), added my exercise in the app, and then at back about 75% of those calories. Also, I used my maintenance calorie recommendation and then added 150-250 extra calories to account for my recommended weight gain in the second and third trimesters since the app doesn’t allow for it. If you find you’re gaining too much or too little, you can add or subtract calories by about 100 per day until you get it right.
  • CrystalLFit
    CrystalLFit Posts: 9 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Do not avoid anything besides trans fats and the general foods to avoid for pregnant women . Focus on a variety of healthy greens, carbs, fats, and proteins.
    You also don't eat for 2. Depending where you were before pregnancy, it can be anywhere from 0 to 500 extra calories.
  • ACanadian22
    ACanadian22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Oh, I remember my first pregnancy. I was going to do everything by the book....until the cravings hit. Haha..Just wait :wink:
  • Kandisn29
    Kandisn29 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I just had my third child, my daughter is 12 weeks old! :) I had a 30 pound weight gain. For me, the secret was staying active, not drinking any sugary drinks (as much water as possible), and grazing (eating several small meals a day). I was blessed this time around, I craved banana peppers! With my first son I craved ice cream! LOL But most importantly, if you are eating healthy foods and staying active, don't beat yourself up if you do put on pounds or succumb to cravings. It might happen and that is okay. What is important is a healthy mommy and a healthy baby! :)