Time to Make Some Changes in my Life

Options
Hi There. I just signed up for this app this morning. I am a 55 year old woman who, for most of my adult life, has been active in the gym and never had to worry about my weight, ever. Now, at 55, I find myself experiencing more aches and pains every day, slow metabolism, less flexibility and diminishing arm and leg strength. Thus, I have gained over 30 lbs in the last 3 years. My clothes are tight, my self esteem is low, and I'm feeling a bit down. It is time to turn things around, but I'm a bit lost as to where to begin. I suppose I need to completely eliminate ALL sugary foods such as cookies, brownies as well as my burgars, fries, pizza trips. I currently exercise 6 days a week, but am now beginning to question whether or not anything that I'm doing in the gym is even making a difference. I feel that I have good workouts, but I'm not feeling like I'm getting anything out of all the work I put in 6 days a week. I'm gaining weight instead of losing weight. I NEED HELP!!!!! Thank you for reading my post

Replies

• Tblackdogs
    Tblackdogs Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    You don't have to give anything up. But find out how many calories you need a day to lose weight. Find out how many calories you're actually eating. And then go from there. This totally works. But if you are/have been gaining weight, you are taking in more calories than your body needs. Exercise is good but most people who gain weight, are eating too much. I've lost almost ten pounds since the beginning of January and in that time I've eaten pizza, cake, pie and pasta. Not too much of any of those things and I watched what I ate on the days I ate those things but I've been at or slightly under my calorie goal every day and though it isn't linear, my weight continues to go down. I exercise for a little more wiggle room, because it feels good and it's good for my overall health.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is mostly about eating less calories than you burn. Exercise is great for overall health, but it you are eating more calories than your body is burning, no matter how many days you exercise, you will gain weight. Keeping an accurate log of everything you eat and drink, and staying at a calorie deficit will result in weight loss. MFP is a great tool for helping you get results.

Barring any medical reason, age should not be a factor. It is not easy at any age.

At age 60, I lost over 1/2 of my body weight. The first 7 months without any exercising and there are a lot of people here that have done the same. My problem was maintenance and not adhering to a stricter plan for keeping the weight off. Hence, I gained back some of the weight I lost (thank goodness not all of it). This time I plan on not letting myself go back to my bad habits.

Good luck to you! You can do this!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Your metabolism isn't slow, you have gained weight because of overeating/inactivity. You don't have to elimininate anything, you just have to eat fewer calories, but you'll still want good nutrition, so you'll probably end up with a more balanced diet. Weight always fluctuates, but an increase in exercise will make your muscles retain water for repair. If you exercise for weightloss, you'll find yourself struggling. Exercise for fun and good health. To control weight: Log your food intake correctly and be patient.