Oatmeal kills me

Options
I love old fashioned oatmeal but when I have it in the morning I drop in energy severely for a couple of hours does this happen to anyone else?? Why does it happen??

Replies

• gymprincess1234
    gymprincess1234 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Same! I love the taste of oatmeal, but it only keeps me feeling full for like 2h and the minute I put my spoon down I want to go back to bed!
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Yes. I can't eat oatmeal. I think it's delicious too but I don't really touch it. Too calorie dense for what it provides for me.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    It does the same to me, unless I combine it with something like eggs and onions, or casein and nut butter. Rice is the same.

It’s definitely not just the carb aspect though, as I can slam several potatoes or sweet potatoes by themselves and have zero issues.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,998 Member
    Options
    Are you eating the packaged stuff with sugar in it?

I have oatmeal a few days a week, but I have nuts on it and 2% milk and butter. Plus I have eggs and some kind of breakfast meat with it too. If I had just oatmeal or oatmeal with sugar (and no fat or protein) it would do that to me too.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,998 Member
    Options
    It happens because of an insulin spike/crash. Are you diabetic or pre-diabetic? Or do you have PCOS?
  • DarianJP
    DarianJP Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Yup, I feel the same way. I use to eat oatmeal every other day boiled with almond milk, a frozen banana and frozen blueberries but realized how it affected me so now I’ll eat it maybe once a week on my day off because it’s too delicious to not eat.
  • MossiO
    MossiO Posts: 164 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Overnight oatmeal with almond milk and a scoop of tasty protein powder has become my new favorite breakfast. The combination staves off hunger for me until lunch. Previously I'd eat one or the other and be starving within an hour or two.
  • frida001
    frida001 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    MossiO wrote: »
    Overnight oatmeal with almond milk and a scoop of tasty protein powder has become my new favorite breakfast. The combination staves off hunger for me until lunch. Previously I'd eat one or the other and be starving within an hour or two.

I do 1/4 cup of overnight oats with almond milk too. Then 2 have a hard-boiled eggs 2 hours later.
  • Pam846
    Pam846 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Overnight oatmeal with almond milk and a scoop of tasty protein powder ...

Could you share your recipe/technique for making this? It sounds like something I need to try.
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I love them too but the slower digested oats (steel cut) eaten with protein avoid the crash while still giving me energy and that awesome oatmeal morning comfort food. For overnight oats, put steel cut oats in a jar and add anything you want: berries, nuts, plain yogurt, coconut, dark choc chips, protein powder, fresh peaches, apple etc. The options are limitless. Shake and leave in fridge overnight. Done. Try put a good amt of protein in (20-30g) from any source (dairy, powder etc).
  • MossiO
    MossiO Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Pam846 wrote: »
    Overnight oatmeal with almond milk and a scoop of tasty protein powder ...

Could you share your recipe/technique for making this? It sounds like something I need to try.

48g (1/2 cup) rolled oats (I use Bob's Red Mill extra thick rolled oats), 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk, 1 scoop (32g of mine) protein powder (current favorite is PE Science Select Protein in peanut butter cookie--it is amazing!).

Mix well, let sit overnight in fridge. In the morning, stir, eat. 330 calories, lasts for hours, for me, at least.

I'm experimenting with other flavors too--Quest salted caramel and cinnamon crunch, PE Science snickerdoodle, etc.
  • huntersvonnegut
    huntersvonnegut Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    Can't say I've ever had an issue with oatmeal for breakfast but I'm kind of off that meal for the time being anyway. Oatmeal with some natural peanut butter, raw honey and cinnamon is a favorite guilt-free evening snack though.
  • JRSINAZ
    JRSINAZ Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I made 1/4 cup steel cut oats in my pressure cooker this morning 4 minutes in 1 cup almond milk. After cooking added 2 T ground flax, scoop of chocolate protien , 70 g of frozen blueberries and a little water. It was yum in a bowl.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    The only way I can have oatmeal is with some nut butter or something... otherwise I totally crash too. And then really, it's not so great calorie-wise. Protein powder doesn't fill me up either (nor does milk) so it never worked for me either sadly.

I'm amazed at the number of people who think that pure carbs keeps them full until lunch, honestly.

I tried overnight oatmeal too and nope, it filled me up as much as a 120 calorie cup of yogurt would (for obviously way more calories). Sad.
  • jumpsquats
    jumpsquats Posts: 20 Member
    Options

Always used to eat overnight oats like this, minus the powder because it tasted disgusting. Maybe cherry bakewell wasn’t the best flavour to pair it with...

But yeah, I don’t eat oats for breakfast that often anymore, didn’t really do much for me. Eggs are my go to if I have the time.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal works fine for me, but I always make sure to eat it with some fat and protein. Maybe if you had a smaller amount with some add-ins?
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I use 40 grams of the quick 1 minute oats, cooked in water, then add about an ounce of cheese (usually cheddar or American) and melt/mix it all up with salt and pepper. I eat this everyday for breakfast and I am able to go about 5 hours between breakfast and lunch.
  • Nudgey02
    Nudgey02 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I make overnight oats with Skyr protein yogurt with a bit of coconut milk to loosen it up, then throw in a few blueberries. It's yummy and filling!