Actually GAINING Instead of Losing?! Discouraged in Bellevue

I'm grateful for this forum: thank you.

I'm a 54 yo woman who became fit and lean in her mid-forties. I ate my way through a depression the past few years, and am now focusing on losing the weight gained, and getting back into shape.
I weigh 158 lbs, and am 5'7". I'm eating 1200 calories a day, and am meticulously measuring/logging/tracking that. I'm trying my best for a 40/30/30 carb/fat/protein balance. I've been doing the Jillian Michael's "Beginner Shred" six days a week for over a month (and don't add those calories back into my allowance since it's probably only about 160 a day). I'm not drinking alcohol, and I'm getting sleep. I weigh myself every-other week.

Why the #*@#*+ then would I have GAINED 1.2 pounds in the past two weeks?! I was expecting a slow and steady loss of a pound a week, and was prepared to be patient, but this... this is confounding, and my body has never reacted like this. I'm so discouraged... and a bit scared.

Replies

• scoutsback
    scoutsback Posts: 10 Member
    Thank you, @cmriverside . I want to lose 30 pounds, and in the not-too-distant past, was able to lose at a predictable rate. I had a baby when I was 43, and took off about 80 pounds afterward. I re-gained 10-15 lbs here and there over the past, 12, years, but shed it easily with a month of reduction and work. This time, it's very different. I am determined to not go below 1200 calories a day so as not to mess up my metabolism. 1200 isn't too low given my age, sex, weight, and height, (54,F, 158 lbs, 5'7"), and the fact that I'm working out only about 25 minutes a day, though!
    I unlocked my diary.
    Thank you, again.
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    Agree with the others (not @Omnimous69 - starvation mode doesn’t exist). If you are 100% on your tracking (ie you are weighing everything you consume) you haven’t gained fat. It’s probably water weight.
  • scoutsback
    Thank you, @GrumpyHeadmistress (LOVE the name, btw).
    Agree with the others (not @Omnimous69 - starvation mode doesn’t exist). ...
    Is "starvation mode" a myth? I've been so anxious about messing up my metabolism, and thought 1200 (given that I'll probably need to consume only 1800-2000 to maintain 130 lbs at my age/heigh)- was not too low. I was tempted to go lower!
    Thank you, @seska422 : it's helpful to see a graphic.

I suppose what's frustrating is losing my goal: 30 lbs in 6 months felt reasonable. Shifting to it taking 9-12 months has me discouraged.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,340 Member
    scoutsback wrote: »
    Thank you, @cmriverside . I want to lose 30 pounds, and in the not-too-distant past, was able to lose at a predictable rate. I had a baby when I was 43, and took off about 80 pounds afterward. I re-gained 10-15 lbs here and there over the past, 12, years, but shed it easily with a month of reduction and work. This time, it's very different. I am determined to not go below 1200 calories a day so as not to mess up my metabolism. 1200 isn't too low given my age, sex, weight, and height, (54,F, 158 lbs, 5'7"), and the fact that I'm working out only about 25 minutes a day, though!
    I unlocked my diary.
    Thank you, again.

Okay, well that's on the low side so you'll need to be patient. 128 at 5'7" puts you at 20 BMI.

I'm going to disagree that 1200 is enough. It becomes very difficult to get enough nutrition. Believe me, I've tracked food religiously since 2007 on this site, and I was about your age when I started. I just don't see a need to be uncomfortable or to be malnourished. You're already just inside the healthy weight range and being too thin at your age leaves no room for error nutritionally. I can't possibly hit my nutrition goals at 5'7" Female at 1200 calories.

I am the same age (actually older) and I'm retired and I don't exercise a lot and I ate 1500 to lose. You don't have that much to lose - even though you *think* 128 is your goal, the body has a need to hold on to some fat, as you get down into the 140s you can always do some heavy weights for the look you want.

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Omnimous69 wrote: »
    I am far from being an expert, but I think you need to eat a bit more to help boost your metabolism. Your body probably thinks it is almost starving, so it is packing away a bit of fat in response, when it can. You could also have lost 5 pounds of fat and gained 6 pounds of much heavier muscle. Stay the course, but eat a bit more IMO.

The average woman can gain about 1-2 pounds of muscle per month under optimal conditions (a surplus, enough protein and carbs, and a heavy lifting plan). A man might be able to do twice as well. There is simply no way the OP has put on 6 pounds of muscle in a couple of weeks.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    edited February 2018
    "Starvation mode" as it is commonly portrayed is a myth. It is true that when people eat too little, their metabolic rates will start to drop somewhat. Most of that, though, is due to the fact that as they lose weight, they weigh less, so they need fewer calories to go through their daily life. In extreme cases, it slows down even more, because the body stops repairing non-essential parts (for example, their hair falls out, wounds don't heal, and other bad things). As long as they're in a calorie deficit, though, they keep losing weight; it's just that the CO of CICO goes down, so weight loss slows.

This article offers a pretty good account if you want to read more: https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/starvation-mode/
  • scoutsback
    Thank you @bwogilvie : that's quite comforting, and I appreciate it. I've always wondered, as there's a LOT of miss-information out there surrounding stress (cortisol) and metabolic shifts, yet there is PLENTY of evidence to the contrary. (Too many tragic examples of stressed, starving, people who aren't "keeping weight on". Look at any refugee camp footage.) We're all so anxious for "the answer" and solution, we forget to think critically.
    @diannethegeek : Weird to read about myself in the third person (it took me 3 minutes to figure out what "OP" meant.) Thank you for that (somewhat discouraging) info.
    @cmriverside : Thank you for taking the time to look at my diary. I actually neglected to complete some days, but was tracking my intake on them. Some of the foods are actually recipes (and I think it's remarkable that you can locate a recipe on MyFitnessPal to log it!). I agree about the protein: that's been a hard one to keep higher than the fat (I am trying to stick with healthy fats: olive oil, nuts). I'll keep doing what I'm doing, because it IS healthy, and see where it takes me. I may try dropping to 1,000 cals., as a buffer, even though I am carefully weighing and measuring foods. This may all be a sobering reminder that our bodies shift dramatically between 45 and 55... just as they did between 35 and 45. (Aging is not for the faint of heart!)
    Ahem. I may also be "chicken-little-ing" it a bit: and it could be a few water pounds. I'm sure you can all sympathize with the discouragement, and I'm grateful for the community.
  • scoutsback
    @deannalfisher : No worries. The nutrition count for each recipe is posted in the recipe book, it just happens to be posted in the MFP database too, making it easier to log. They must be popular books.
  • lois1231
    lois1231 Posts: 330 Member
    edited February 2018
    Some days you are only eating 450 calories. Try eating a few more calories especially if you are exercising.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Would I be correct in assuming that you didn't log Friday dinner because you either ate out at a restaurant or with friends or just ate what you felt like?
  • scoutsback
    @MelanieCN77 No.. because I forgot to, but knew I was at/under 1200. (I've pretty much assumed that eating out at a restaurant is not happening for a while: don't want to get de-railed!)
    @lois1231: I'm actually always hitting 1000-1200: I just forget/neglect to log some days. As you can see, my food repertoire is fairly limited right now, so some days, I just know by adding it up myself. Thank you for the advice.
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    lois1231 wrote: »
    Some days you are only eating 450 calories. Try eating a few more calories especially if you are exercising.

450 kcals is not enough calls for an adult Hunan being to eat for a day. I hope you aren't eating that little.
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    scoutsback wrote: »
    @MelanieCN77 No.. because I forgot to, but knew I was at/under 1200. (I've pretty much assumed that eating out at a restaurant is not happening for a while: don't want to get de-railed!)
    @lois1231: I'm actually always hitting 1000-1200: I just forget/neglect to log some days. As you can see, my food repertoire is fairly limited right now, so some days, I just know by adding it up myself. Thank you for the advice.

I think you should consider enlarging your food repertoire for health & nutrition's sake, and to make your diet more palatable. No need to restrict your eating so much.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    < 1200 calories is too few for women our height. You're undereating, which is stressful to the body, and so you are likely retaining water due to elevated cortisol levels.