Do you exercise every day?

I am currently doing 30 day shred + 20 or more minutes on the stationary bike every day. Is it Ok to just do the video (30 day shred) once in a while? I feel guilty for not wanting to ride the bike but I just don't feel like it right now! Am I being lazy or is it ok to take a bit of a break?

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    I exercise daily, but have at least one active recovery day a week.

On my active recovery day, I won’t do any intense workout. I might do some Yoga to stretch everything out and/or a walk. This allows my muscles to recover from the intense workouts I did earlier in the week.

I have read that Jillian Michaels said that 30 day shred isn’t supposed to be done for 30 consecutive days without rest. She was asked during a pod cast several years ago. Most of her workout dvds are 5-6 days a week with at least 1 rest day a week.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    There is a calendar online for 30DS. It’s 2 days on followed by one rest.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    I do, but I also pay attention to how my body is feeling and one day my workout might be some really mellow yoga and a walk.
  • W8WarI
    W8WarI Posts: 567 Member
    When I've yeah, I'll be relaunching that tomorrow because my exercise duration and/or intensity isn't high enough, for recovery to be necessary! Therefore I mainly exercise, for health {to maintain, my agility} & to obtain at least an extra 100 calories daily {I bank those calories for a time when I'll be consuming something that I'd have to guesstimate, due to Nutrition Facts being unavailable}!
  • debbieled12
    debbieled12 Posts: 13 Member
    I try to but with a toddler and doctors appointments it gets hard. So I average about 5 times a week.
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    edited February 2018
    Maybe you've burned out. Did you struggle more than usual just to complete your workout? Do you feel chilly and cold or sickly? Do you feel like you need air? Nausea hours after the workout while at rest?

No matter how fit your muscle groups are, the most important one is your heart and if you're doing cardio that puts your heart under stress for prolonged periods, your body will fight back for self preservation, you probably reach the point of diminishing returns.

Take a week or two off and after you've recovered, you need to change or scale back the intensity of your workout or you will burn out again at your current fitness level.

If you're just lazy though, it's okay to take a break too.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    I would suggest just walking on the days you don't feel like doing any harder exercise. It gets the blood moving and you outside in nature.

As to your question, I do exercise every day but at different intensities. I have a dog who needs to be walked twice a day, at least, so I always get a minimum of 2-3 miles. I run (currently training for an April marathon) so I do that 5 days a week. On my non-running days I sometimes do stationary bike. On my shorter running days, I'll do 30-45 minutes of yoga and/or Pilates.
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    I try to! But it's tough in the winter (US).
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    No, I tend to get burned out easily, so I usually end up exercising 4-5 times a week. Sometimes more, sometimes less.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Currently 3 times/week
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    edited February 2018
    I currently row 10k meters (usually in two 30 min sessions) daily and spend an hour lifting every other day or so.

Been doing this for about 4 months now. I try to make the rowing more interesting by breakingvit up into different intervals, 5x1k, 2x2k+1k, 5k, 2x2.5k or 10x500).

I also always do something a bit differently each time I lift. Only do 3 compound barbell or BW exercises each time and always work both upper and lower body doing DL, SQT, OHP, BP, pushups, dips and/or pullups.

The variation in routine helps keep things interesting although the exercises themselves are always the same.

It also helps that I have all the gear at home and can exercises at anytime 24/7 w/o having to schelp to the gym which would severely reduce the incentive to workout as much as I do.
  • ponyosquid
    ponyosquid Posts: 18 Member
    My Schedule: Tuesday - Saturday 2+ hours in the gym, Sunday 6-7 Hard skiing and Monday is my rest day.

I'm recovering from a pretty serious accident and not being able to walk for 10 months, damn was it hard to get back into cardio and working out from sedentary without thinking 'is this too much too soon'. Stick with it, it get's easier and in that it becomes fun when you find the exercise you enjoy! Mindless cardio is boring man.

If it's effort or energy your lacking just remember: The only workout you regret is the one you didn't do! The feeling when you're finished is always worth it. You don't need to finish your tape all the way through; catch your breath, get your water and return. Those who say breaks aren't good clearly haven't tried HIIT. Take your time then you can return at full effort!
  • marym6066
    marym6066 Posts: 21 Member
    Yes, I only work out from home and am a stay out home mom of 3, so right now in this frigid Montana winter, I can't change it up too much
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Like @shadow2soul, I exercise almost every day, but I have 1-2 active recovery days a week when I'll take a walk, or do 20 minutes of easy cycling or rowing on the erg, to offset the days when I do more intensive activities.
  • marym6066
    marym6066 Posts: 21 Member
    I have been feeling pretty tired riding the bike, but I've attributed it to adding in this new exercise just a few days ago. I used to do 8-12 miles a day but dropped that in half with the 30 day shred added. I did end up riding for 20 min today because I felt so guilty
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    I lift 4 days a week, yoga stretch 2. I also formally walk 4 days a week for an hour, but while at work I make myself get up and walk my hall ways. I also refuse to sit too much at work. not sure if walking intentionally at work is exercise, but if it is, yes I do.
  • ponyosquid
    ponyosquid Posts: 18 Member
    marym6066 wrote: »
    I have been feeling pretty tired riding the bike, but I've attributed it to adding in this new exercise just a few days ago. I used to do 8-12 miles a day but dropped that in half with the 30 day shred added. I did end up riding for 20 min today because I felt so guilty

Does it always have to be the exercise bike? Sounds like you don't enjoy it and based on my experience with stationary bike you're only looking at burning 120-170 calories max and probably on the lower scale if you're not enjoying it. Since you're a stay at home Mama there are plenty of fun fitness videos on youtube, do some research and look for one you think seems like fun and replace the 20 mins of boring bike with maybe a Zumba or a low impact cardio? Check out FitnessBlenders videos on youtube, they're a great starting point for building exercise endurance - also, you'll be working your whole body and not just your lower half.

You got this girl, you just need to find something that fits you ;)
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    No. 4-5x per week, sometimes less, sometimes more.