What do you watch?

Options
Hi everyone,
This week starts my 6th week of using MFP and I feel like a failure. I have lost three pounds but seem to gain it back without doing anything differently. I am really ready to give up! I noticted on MFP today that when I look at my daily progress I am way into the negatives on sodium most days. Could this be my problem? I have been focusing more on watching calories and not on anything else. What should I be watching? Thanks for your help.

Replies

• XxBri22xX
    XxBri22xX Posts: 183
    Options
    Sodium could definitely be a problem. Sodium retains water so more than likely, you're gain is water weight. So make sure you are drinking plenty of water to wash out all that unwanted sodium.
  • lisapickering
    Options
    Yes, the sodium could be your problem. Whenever I go over in sodium my weight goes up (water retention), this usually only happens when I go out to eat. I work really hard to get back down -- drink lots of water and do lots of cardio. Sodium and protein are really the only things that I pay attention to.

Don't give up!
  • k121777
    k121777 Posts: 306
    Options
    Are you drinking a ton of water, and exercising a solid hour every day? Are you burning more than you are eating?
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    If you are eating that much sodium, a good portion of your diet must be processed foods. These foods are not nutritious for your body and contain large amounts of sugar, bad fats, sodium, chemicals, and empty calories. Try making the majority of your food intake be fruits, vegetables, whole-grains, nuts, protein, things like that.

There are lots of great recipe ideas in the message boards if you need inspiration for what to cook.
  • MiaMcBetty
    Options
    If you're exercising and not eating back most of the calories you've burned, this could also halt you progress. If you don't give the body enough energy to fuel it, it will go into "starvation mode" and you won't lose.

Try reading this, the lingo is kind of intense but you can get the idea and really explained things thoroughly for me and made me realise why it's important to eat most of your extra exercise calories.

www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

Good luck!