Levator Scapulae killing me

Options
I have been in agony for 48 hours. As a result of excessive swimming I have severe pain in my neck and shoulder. I have tried pretty much everything. Heat pack, hot bath, massage, pain killers, changing pillows, stretching etc. I want to get back in the pool tomorrow evening, but I really don’t think it’s going to happen. I swam 6Km in the last two days, combination of front crawl, breast stroke and kick drills and now I can’t drive. I warmed up and stretched off. Really is not very funny.

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Is this a "whine" post, cause I'm sure I can top that one ;).

Get better.
  • mandy_godfree
    mandy_godfree Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    No, looking for more tips on how to get it to heal quickly so I can get back in the pool sooner rather than later.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Stop swimming 'excessively'?
  • joyoakey
    joyoakey Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    You might need to see a sports physician/orthopedist. It sounds to me like you have significant injury, if you can't do daily activities like driving. I'm a runner and have torn soft tissue, requiring rest, physical therapy, scar tissue break-up and massage. Also, the first thing after injury is ice, not heat. If you can take ibuprophin (advil), it's an anti-inflammatory. Take it with food, as to not irritate your stomach. Good luck and if it's not better tomorrow, call a doctor, for real!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Try this stretch every 5 minutes:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=Y5SAKcsUGXE

Ice reduces circulation, which delays healing. It's more for reducing excessive swelling, after breaking or tearing something. :+1:
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    How often and how far do you usually swim?
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options

No, looking for more tips on how to get it to heal quickly so I can get back in the pool sooner rather than later.
    If you have been excessively swimming, I would hazard trying not to get back on the pool sooner rather than later would help the healing process.
    I have tried pretty much everything. Heat pack, hot bath, massage, pain killers, changing pillows, stretching etc. I want to get back in the pool tomorrow evening, but I really don’t think it’s going to happen.

Those are often adviced for pain, not to heal and I would question some of them beyond a placebo effect.

Probably just common sense and lessen the frequency and/or intensity of your activity to a point the pain is manageable and doesn't worsen.