Sticking to my diet while travelling

Options
Hi, during this month I have to travel a lot for work and while I’m away I work really long hours. It’s hard sticking to eating healthily as I eat in restaurants and hotels for all meals. I also feel so tired at the end of a long day I do t have the energy to hit the gym. Any tips or advice? I have a 4 day trip this week ..

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Are you saying you can't get healthy food where you're going? People find healthy food at McDonalds :/ Maybe you don't have to exercise if you're tired, prioritize sleep instead. Or conversely, maybe exercise will give you energy.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Do you fly or travel by car? I travel monthly (mostly drive) - I premake easy staples (rice, barley, chicken) to take with me - tgat limits the amount of food I eat out
  • thatsillyshana23
    thatsillyshana23 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    When I travel I try to challenge myself with what I eat. So I'll go vegan or vegetarian, drink only water, and focus on getting as much movement as possible either by taking a tour of the neighborhood or finding some stairs to pace if there's no gym. I try to do that in the morning to wake up and get my brain working for the day. If there's a store near by, you can make simple salads or get some frozen microwavable veg bags. Basically, you'll be tired and uncomfortable, but you know yourself enough to set the goals you want and make a plan to achieve those goals. You got this!
  • faithrainbow1
    faithrainbow1 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Will you have a mini fridge in your room? Ask for a to-go box when you order your food, and pack half of it up before you start eating. That can help!
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,468 Member
    Options
    If it’s a road trip, I do pretty well at McDs. Yes, McDs. All day Egg McMuffin, and oatmeal. Salad with LF dressing. It helps that almost everything else they sell has zero appeal.

If your eating the hotel continental breakfast, hard boiled eggs, oatmeal, even if it’s instant, cereal with yogurt. No baked good. None. Not even the little muffins. Muffin is another word for cake.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    When traveling I usually eat one larger meal each day, lunch or dinner. Drink plenty of water and as 88olds suggested go with boiled eggs, oatmeal, fruit from the hotel's breakfast offerings. Honestly I sometimes find it LESS challenging to eat healthy on a business trip because I'm not at home where I can bake delicious things or go back for seconds.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I lose weight while traveling. My choices are laid out and fairly obvious and I will not eat the blatent fast food burgers and fries. So many perfect choices and grocery stores on the road!