Has anyone done a dietbet?

Options
What are your experiences?

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I tried it out last month, too aggressive a deficit for my liking and to be honest with scale weight there are too many variables outside an individual's control, so even if you stick to the deficit there is no guarantee you are going to be at your target weight on the official weigh in day.

I do however like their StepBet app.
  • glitterrainn
    glitterrainn Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    It’s good for people who have a lot to lose. I almost didn’t win my last dietbet. I am at 179 right now and would not join another one because I don’t think I could lose 4% in 4 weeks. But it’s an overall good site to motivate people into getting healthier, losing weight, and winning some extra cash!
  • MHarper522
    MHarper522 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I did 2 bets and won about $20 over my original entrance fee each time. Unless you have a lot of weight to lose though it can be a bit hard.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
  • fastfoodietofitcutie
    Options
    4% is pretty aggressive.
  • BootyEvolve
    BootyEvolve Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Yeah I keep going back and forth. 4% for me is about 6.5 pounds total so about 1.5 to 2 pounds a week. When I am 95% on my plan I can loose 4% easily. But with the fall backs of giving in to unhealthy choices it sets me back. That's why I thought money would help lol.
    I tried it out last month, too aggressive a deficit for my liking and to be honest with scale weight there are too many variables outside an individual's control, so even if you stick to the deficit there is no guarantee you are going to be at your target weight on the official weigh in day.

What is StepBet?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I would stay away from kickstarters (1 month challenges) unless you're just starting and expecting plenty of water weight loss - it's in the name. I did well on transformers (6 month challenges) which start at a more reasonable 3% loss first month then whittle down to maintaining the last month, which is good practice. You are supposed to lose 10% of your weight by month 6, and that's quite reasonable. I'm currently on a couple of transformers, and I only lost one month of one challenge because I was stressed with work and didn't lose anything, which from experience doesn't make much of a difference to your winning because most of the earnings come in the last month and the first month has everyone motivated to lose so you aren't winning much anyway.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Yeah I keep going back and forth. 4% for me is about 6.5 pounds total so about 1.5 to 2 pounds a week. When I am 95% on my plan I can loose 4% easily. But with the fall backs of giving in to unhealthy choices it sets me back. That's why I thought money would help lol.

What is StepBet?

Same sort of premise, but it's aimed at increasing your activity, you download the app and sync it to your device or phone step tracking app, it gives you a goal based on your previous step count data with 4 days normal goal, 2 days slightly higher "stretch" goal and a day off. If you hit your goals over the stepbet you win a share of the pot.

So for example my steps were around 12000 before I did a free stepbet to test it out, the goals it gave me were 12500 ish for the 4 days and 14000 for the 2 stretch days, it really pushed me to be that little bit more active. I will probably do it again in the winter when I am less inclined to go out for walks.
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I have done many of them. The idea of losing my money was very motivating, so I never lost one. I have kept about half of the weight off since I stopped doing them.
  • pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I did a stepbet a while back and it had 598 and the pot was about $24,000 and in the end the payout was getting back the $40 buy in and about another $8. I just joined another 6 week stepbet and used the $40 I had in my account to buy in.

The one thing I noticed is that my step count goals have dropped considerably since the last one. Like my 2 stretch days were almost 16,500 and this time it is only 12,600. It still keep me motivated to not lose my $40 and it ends the day before I leave to go scuba diving in Bonaire for 2 weeks. :p

OH and I did not check this time, but last time stepbet took 12% cut of the pot. easy money I would say, but then they made the app. I heard they were going to increase it to like 24%, but I will have to check on that.

I just read it is 15% however, if everyone wins they will forfeit their 15% so that everyone will at least get their buy in money back so that's nice. ;)
  • cc3833
    cc3833 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I am on my 3rd dietbet right now. I like it. I know how to lose weight and I've done it before but I just needed the extra motivation. I hate losing money.... I'm a bit thrifty. It was just what I needed to keep in line when people wanted to do happy hours. I can have a drink but not the apps or something to that extent. And for example this weekend my friend is doing game night so instead of indulging in all the snacks I offered to make a dish to bring so I can stay on track. I believe it really depends on the person. I've been doing them since January and I have lost 18.4 lbs so far. I've won $33 on top of my bet amount to date. I am currently in one where I had to lose 7.4 lbs and I am 1.8 lbs away from my goal and it ends April 15th. I am 5'0, 28 yrs old, started at 191.6 and as of today I am 173.2.
  • kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Step Bets, steps are easier for me to push for than weight loss. I've won about $10 over a couple challenges, so no huge payouts but very motivating.