Weight loss Vs. Muscle gain. What to do? (pic heavy)

Options
So I started my journey at 262lbs. I currently weigh around 203-205. Here is the dilemma. I want to keep putting on muscle and lots of it. But I have a little bit of leftover flab around my stomach (not much at all). Should I adjust my calories so that I am at a maintanance level and keep doing my routine of cardio and weights (which is pretty intense and is usually 6-7days per week)? Or should I still keep my calories in a weight loss mode and try to keep up with the protein intake and build muscle? Here are some pics to show progress and add some depth. Thanks in advance.

nateunfit.jpg
april2011pic2.jpg
april2011pic1.jpg
june2011pic1.jpg
IMAG0095.jpg
IMAG0116.jpg
august82011-1.jpg

Replies

• aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I think you could be fine with setting yourself on maintenance depending on how much %-wise you want to lose in fat. If your routine is as hardcore as you make it sound, I don't see why you would have a problem burning fat from it.
  • BeckyKSmith
    BeckyKSmith Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Well, if you want a woman's point of view....I think you should NOT focus on a lot more muscle. Too much is gawdy and fake. You look great! I would focus on cardio to cut a little or do nothing b/c you look great just the way you are :)
  • beedo30
    beedo30 Posts: 186
    Options
    I am in the same boat as you and right now I am working on a cut, dont worry about making dramatic gains in the gym but focus on keeping the muscle you have and trying to cut as much fat as possible. Eat your maint. calories and hit the cardio hard but also lift as heavy as intense as you can. Hope it help man, good luck and looking nice and thick!
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I agree with arielle that you can probably go to maintenance and still lose fat - as long as you fill in those maintenance calories with a lot of protein to support the muscle building, but if you are asking whether you should emphasize fat burning or muscle building more based on how yo look right now, I'd say you should focus more on fat burning (but weight training is an important part of fat burning of course) than on bulking up.

Its going to be easier for you to decide exactly how muscular you want to be if you drop the fat first so you can see your muscles well then bulk up to where you want to be.
  • mark03264
    mark03264 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Contrary to what some may tell you you can cut the fat and build muscle at the same time. Keep doing what your doing.
  • dancingphoenix
    Options
    Looking at your pics, I think you are on the right track! Great job so far! :) Perhaps look at amping up exercise for your problem areas. Maybe switch up your routine a little... add some new moves?? :) Hope this helps! :)
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Looks like what you have been doing is working....I'd stick with the current plan for a little longer. You are burning fat and gaining muscle at the same time and its been working so keep it up. Remember squats burn more fat than any other form of exercise, including running. Keep up with the cardio and keep up with the weights. Couple more months that fat may be gone and then you can reassess based on how those muscles underneath the fat look.
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    i am with Becky, as a women I think you have plenty of muscle already. I would focus on fat loss, and maybe more toning, but I do not think you need to gain loads of more muscle.
    Again that is just me, I personally do not like those giant beefy guys. You already have great wide shoulders and back, also your arms already big enough.
  • bobbybdoe
    bobbybdoe Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Eat about 1g of protein per pound in your bodyweight, and eat as if you were still trying to burn fat (eating clean). Drink lots of water and have a protein/recovery/whatever-you-call-it shake after your finish exercising. You'll continue to maintain your muscle while still burning fat at the same time! :)