Workout Question

Options
Is it possible to work out to much? Im starting to fee like if I dont get to work out every day Im not happy....not like an im in a bad mood because im stressing about weight sorta way tho.... Its kinda hard to explain but the way I feel when I work out its like a high to my body (excuse my refrence) i worked out monday to friday then i rested yesterday and now all i can think about is hitting the Tredmill.

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking, if you feel fine, you're fine. If your performance drops, or you feel sluggish throughout the day, you might need more rest (or more calories).

You do strength training too, right?
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    It depends on a number of factors, I guess. I'm not an expert, but I personally exercise every day. However, I need to point out that little of what I do is the kind that gets me out of breath and feeling like I'm going to die.

I try to walk for 2 hours every day. If I don't hit at least 90 minutes, I use a fitness glider for 65 minutes. Three days a week, I strength train with light (3–17.5lb) dumbbells, body-weight exercises, and some other equipment, like a stability ball, ankle weights, a couple of medicine balls... The strength training IS strenuous—for me—but it's rare that I experience DOMS.

I find that exercise helps me as follows:
    • It curbs my appetite. I do eat back half my exercise calories. A couple of months ago, I had surgery and was unable to strength train for a couple of weeks. I also had a catheter bag for five days, and I wasn't comfortable with the idea of exercising until it came out. Those five days were the hardest days I've had staying on track. Even cutting my deficit from trying to lose 1lb/week to 0.5lbs/week didn't help much. Once the bag came out and I started exercising again, everything went back to normal.
    • I'm a stress eater. Exercise is a stress reliever.
    • I'm a boredom eater. Exercise occupies a good chunk of my time.
    • I'm an emotional eater. Exercise is a mood regulator.

If I don't do something physical every day, I don't feel at my best. But, note that the exercise I'm getting isn't strenuous. I wouldn't do, for example, zumba 7 days a week. Or spin. And I don't strength train daily. But a good walk at around 3.25mph (last time I clocked it)? No worries doing that every day.

You mention the treadmill. I guess it comes down to how intense the workout is and how you feel the next day. (And what would be intense for me, might not be intense for you.)
  • CurvyPrincess66
    CurvyPrincess66 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    Generally speaking, if you feel fine, you're fine. If your performance drops, or you feel sluggish throughout the day, you might need more rest (or more calories).

You do strength training too, right?

Not at the moment. The only weight michine i have access to has a broken cord. I want to get a few hand weights and get involved in a real gym
  • CurvyPrincess66
    CurvyPrincess66 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    It depends on a number of factors, I guess. I'm not an expert, but I personally exercise every day. However, I need to point out that little of what I do is the kind that gets me out of breath and feeling like I'm going to die.

I try to walk for 2 hours every day. If I don't hit at least 90 minutes, I use a fitness glider for 65 minutes. Three days a week, I strength train with light (3–17.5lb) dumbbells, body-weight exercises, and some other equipment, like a stability ball, ankle weights, a couple of medicine balls... The strength training IS strenuous—for me—but it's rare that I experience DOMS.

I find that exercise helps me as follows:
    • It curbs my appetite. I do eat back half my exercise calories. A couple of months ago, I had surgery and was unable to strength train for a couple of weeks. I also had a catheter bag for five days, and I wasn't comfortable with the idea of exercising until it came out. Those five days were the hardest days I've had staying on track. Even cutting my deficit from trying to lose 1lb/week to 0.5lbs/week didn't help much. Once the bag came out and I started exercising again, everything went back to normal.
    • I'm a stress eater. Exercise is a stress reliever.
    • I'm a boredom eater. Exercise occupies a good chunk of my time.
    • I'm an emotional eater. Exercise is a mood regulator.

If I don't do something physical every day, I don't feel at my best. But, note that the exercise I'm getting isn't strenuous. I wouldn't do, for example, zumba 7 days a week. Or spin. And I don't strength train daily. But a good walk at around 3.25mph (last time I clocked it)? No worries doing that every day.

You mention the treadmill. I guess it comes down to how intense the workout is and how you feel the next day. (And what would be intense for me, might not be intense for you.)

I do 2.5 to 3.5 mph about 20 to 30 min a day
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    If you can handle it without feeling stiff and sore the next day, you're probably fine. Listen to your body's messages. If it's okay with what you're asking it to do, you're (in all likelihood) okay.
  • karsei01
    karsei01 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Working out too much is possible, but not normal. What you are experiencing is quite normal. I myself have to go to the gym at work four times a week, otherwise I feelt really bad, even though I went there first time i september...

It's your body getting used to a new habbit, much like if you eat chocolate every day, and then one day quit, the mood would be bad too...this is just a more healty habbit :smile: