Fellow long distance runners, how much do you run?

Options
alexastoutxo
alexastoutxo Posts: 139 Member
edited February 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
Hey guys so I don't see many people who are long stance runners on here, mostly just people who lift and/or cycle. But if you mostly run as part of your fitness lifestyle, how much do you run each week/day? And for what purpose? To lose weight/eat more or just because you like the sport?

I run 45-50 miles each week for 5-6 days. Seems like alot but I've ran for many years now and am used to this much. I do it solely because I love running and the endorphins of course ;)

I'm curious to know how much other runners go for so leave your comments down below! :)

Replies

• bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    I work out 6 days a week. 3 runs and 3 cross training sessions, though I'm hoping to replace one gym session with a run.

At the moment I run about 90km a week (55 miles) with two mid-twenty km runs during the week and a high-thirties-low-forties run on Sundays. I am, however, currently training for my first ultra, and I'm not sure if I'll continue this volume after. Though I'll probably just find another race to train for and go on, as I do.

I like running, I love the scenery, being able to get away from it all (read kids), listen to my podcasts, and being able to travel distances under my own steam. This weekend we went away to the beach and I went on a couple long beach runs and it was so beautiful. Or tomorrow, when I drop my kids off at school/kinder and go up the river, climb some hills and see the view of the city, and see if I can get any photos of rabbits or foxes to show the girls later.

Running is the best.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i run 3 x a week, cross train and weights 2 x.

working on getting my weekly mileage up after having December off running due to injury.

got a half marathon in 12 weeks
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    Doing a couch to 5k, I'm trying to get my distance up.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I run because I like running and to train for races. I train 7 days/week, with running typically included on 3-4 days each week.

My run volume varies. Right now, I'm rehabbing a cranky heel, so I'm only biking and swimming until early March. Then I'll start to build volume for a half marathon in April, maintaining a 25-30mph run schedule until a half iron distance triathlon in June. This summer I will build volume again for the marathon split of an Ironman race in August.

Finally, I"ll wind down to a half marathon in October.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I do about 20 MPW, spread out over three or four days, and train for half marathons. My goal isn't to be the best or the fastest -- it's simply to be competent. This mileage lets me do that, and get in the other activities (barre and swimming) that I like.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I run seven days a week, anywhere from 40-60 miles (depending on what in particular I'm training for). A typical weekday for me right now is five miles a day and I'll do longer runs on Saturday and Sunday. Since I do run daily, I pay close attention to how I'm feeling and will add a low intensity/low mileage day if I feel it is appropriate.

I do enjoy being able to eat more, but honestly I just love running. I'm a particular fan of racing so I'm usually training for an event (my current goal is a Ragnar relay next month).
  • ronocnikral
    ronocnikral Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I do about 40-50 mpw. Thrown in is about 7000 to 10000' of real stairs (which I need to jog down as well) per week. I log 6 days a week. Some weeks are more if I go out to bag a peak. Some, like last weekend are less, where I went to hack away at some vertical ice. I did a ragnar last year, but I'll probably never do them again and I'll stick to my mountaineering goals (6000m peak in peru this summer).
  • ko4q
    ko4q Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm also in the 50-60 mpw range currently, but not training for anything specific. My "long" runs are only about 10-11 miles, and I might do that 1-2 x per week, mostly sticking to about 7.5 for normal daily runs. On one of those runs I'll do some speed work on the road, maybe 3 mins harder pace with 90 secs EZ or I'll go to my favorite hill and do repeats.

My favorite time to run is first thing in the morning, before all the hassles of the day become overwhelming. Not every run is great, but I don't think I have ever had a problem or a frustration or setback that has ever looked as bad on the other side of 7 miles. Sometimes when I'm running my mind just wanders, thinking over the day, sometimes I'm totally focused on the run itself especially if I'm getting through intervals, sometimes its awesome to join up with my running group for a little company. Running restores my equilibrium in a way no other exercise even comes close to!
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    It depends what I am training for. Right now I'm around 30 miles per week. Once I start ramping up marathon training this Summer I'll be closer to 40-45 miles per week.

Check out the Long Distance Runners group here at MFP. There are more runners here than you realize. :D
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    Does rolling out of bed and running a 5-10k a few times/year count? I'm definitely more of a lifter but run on occasion on non-lifting days.

My wife is definitely more of a runner (not active on MFP) and typically sticks to 3x/week, typically around 9-15 miles total depending on what's next on the calendar. She ran a HM in 11/2016 and came away with a stress fracture in her femur (in the radius of the flange going to the hip ball joint) which has curtailed her mileage some and made her focus on recovery a bit more. I try to get her to do more traditional resistance training but she's taken to doing yoga on her off days and for warm-up/cool-down when she runs. Found some youtubers she likes with videos that target being complimentary/supplementary to running. Now that she's over a year removed from her injury she's planning to do some longer races to build her mileage back up. There's a 15k scheduled some time this spring and it wouldn't surprise me if she wants to try to do the same HM again in November.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    4 runs per week, 25 mpw. Training for half marathon mid March.

I lift as well, have my running recovery arranged around lifting. I do one complete no exercise/rest day a week.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    I like doing a few long races every year, usually a spring marathon and a spring and fall half marathon so I try to keep in shape year around. I run 5 days a week, 35-40 mpw when I'm not training, up to 55 when I am. I also walk a couple of miles every day and hike when DH is able and willing.
  • Vladimirnapkin
    Vladimirnapkin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I run as much as my body allows, and this varies from year to year. 2,000 miles per year is generally the baseline, although I've had lower years due to injury. I've started working in more cycling as I've gotten older, so I can sneak in fitness without breaking. I like to race.
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I have been running for several years, but I slowed down significantly over the winter for a couple of reasons. I have a marathon in September, so I’ll go from my 12-15 a week currently up to 40+ as I get ready for that. In the past, I have done more 10K and half distances, so I did 25-30 a week.

I run because I enjoy it and because focusing on a particular race goal (either distance or improving time) helps me focus on consistency with my exercise and eating.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    As soon as I shake this cold that has derailed my training, I'll be preparing for a 30k in mid May. Doing 2-3 runs per week.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    I run 4 x weekly along with biking, swimming & strength (I'm doing something pretty much 7 days a week)

My running distance varies wit where I am in a training cycle and what I'm training for. During the off season it may be as lows as 20MPW and when I'm near the end of a half-marathon training plan (haven't done a full marathon yet) peaks at about 40MPW.

The last couple of years my focus has been more on triathlon, forces me to cross train more.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I am training for a May marathon and am running 5 days per week, currently in the 35-45 mpw range. I will probably peak around 50-60 mpw in mid March-April. When I am not training for anything specific, I like to stay in "half-marathon shape", running 25-35 miles (4-5 days) per week. I also supplement my running with as much strength training, agility drills, yoga and cross training as I can fit in. In the past I have run 6-7 days/wk without doing any of these other activities, but I found that I always ended up injured.
  • Ebony_Kitty
    Ebony_Kitty Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I run about 35mpw over 5 days. My job keeps me on my feet moving around a lot. The days I don’t run, I still either ride my bike or walk. I am awful about doing any strength training nor do I do yoga. I don’t know how to get myself started with that.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,490 Member
    Options
    It varies spending on where I'm at in the training cycle and injury. In the last year it's been as little as zero and as much as 60 miles per week. On average it's been 23 mpw but that's skewed greatly because my running volume goes way down in the summer.