bit confused HELP

Options
ok so my daily calories.is 1200 now if I do a work out where I lose let's say 300 calories do I have to replace them or let them be

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    You should eat at least half of it back. If you are losing too fast or not at all adjust your numbers.
  • Eelkov
    Eelkov Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Personally I find that eating back 100% of those calories makes me stop loosing weight. Not sure if my logging isnt accurate enough or what... So I am trying to only eat back 30% of the "earned" calories.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    The way the website is designed is you got your calorie deficit before exercise. So ideally you could eat 100% of your exercise calories back and lose weight at your expected rate.

However, your exercise calorie burns are estimates. The food you log is also an estimate, some people are accurate with logging and others not so much.

Start by eating back a portion, say 50-75%. After a few weeks tweak this % up or down based on actual results.
  • Eelkov
    Eelkov Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Thanks Malibu927, Great link.
  • suzyjmcd2
    suzyjmcd2 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    A nutritionist recently told me
    1 - mainly listen to your body. If you feel really hungry after working out, eat a little something, namely protein
    2 - if you're working out rigorously, then yes, you should eat back some of the calories, but not all, namely protein
    3 - if you're simply walking, or anything else less rigorous, try not to eat back the calories, and count it as extra loss potential
  • wefts
    wefts Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    at 58 my metabolism is slow to loose I need to not eat back my calories I tend to eat back less than 25% of my work out cal this has allowed me to loose an average of 1 lb a week ( 42 lbs lost in 276 days ) follow your bodies cues if you are loosing more than 1 lb a week add in healthy foods. this is about loosing weight with out depriving yourself of nutrition .
  • suzyjmcd2
    suzyjmcd2 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    tinkerbellang83 -- most people logging walking as exercise aren't burning 500 calories. I think anyone would agree that anyone burning that many calories should eat some back - like she said, listen to your body and eat back some if you're rigorously working out (or walking).
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,081 Member
    Options
    suzyjmcd2 wrote: »
    tinkerbellang83 -- most people logging walking as exercise aren't burning 500 calories. I think anyone would agree that anyone burning that many calories should eat some back - like she said, listen to your body and eat back some if you're rigorously working out (or walking).

Listening to my body is how I got to be 75 pounds overweight.

I have always eaten all my exercise calories. That is the way this site is designed, and it works perfectly for me.

Everyone should do their experiment, but "listen to your body" will get you in trouble unless you're already at a healthy weight and all the hormones are rebalanced and hunger cues are reliable again.

Log all food and exercise. Use a realistic Activity Level. Do that for 4-6 weeks. Make small adjustments AFTER that trial period.

I can easily use up 500 calories on an exercise day. I found that out by doing the work.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,069 Member
    Options
    suzyjmcd2 wrote: »

Anyone with a higher BMI could be burning that doing less than the 10000 per day we so often see as a "healthy" recommendation. Much more sensibile to eat a set percentage for 4-6 weeks and then adjust based on real world results rather than how you're feeling, like @TeaBea and @Tiny_Dancer_in_Pink have suggested.