Probiotics

Options
My doctor recommended I start taking a daily probiotic, not necessarily for weight loss, but for overall health. Anyone have a favorite? (That includes food or pill.)

Replies

• Meelisv
    Meelisv Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    If it can be food then there is different yoghurts or kefir out there with probiotics on them. Useful in several ways, tastes good too
  • Agathokakological
    Agathokakological Posts: 136 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    My Dr. also recommended a daily probiotic. I have tried a few and the one I notice a difference with is Digestive Advantage. There are so many different ones to choose from though and I'm sure a lot of them are better than the one I'm taking, but it is what I can work into my budget. Here is a link to a post (with linked sources) that is pretty informative, and it lists some great choices. https://wholenewmom.com/health-concerns/the-straight-poop-about-probiotics/
  • casamoe
    casamoe Posts: 1 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I use Jarrow dophilus and it works fine for me. Less bloating with an improved food digesting
  • alicebhsia
    alicebhsia Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Kombucha is supposed to be loaded with probiotics. Yogurt has some but not that much. If you are interested in doing a course of serious probiotics I got a free sample full box of Align probiotics before and they worked wonders on my digestive system. I used to get constipated all the time and not anymore since I took those pills and it's been years since then. So I guess I would recommend the Align pills. I don't find that it's necessary to like take them everyday for the rest of your life though. Just like get a box and when it's gone you shouldn't need anymore unless you take antibiotics.
  • Kandisn29
    Kandisn29 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Good info.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Kandisn29 wrote: »
    My doctor recommended I start taking a daily probiotic

Ask them what they recommend for your particular issue. :+1:
  • doittoitgirl
    doittoitgirl Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I like the pearls brand or the rephresh. I also like kombucha (but I would recommend only drinking half a bottle at first, when I first tried it i drank a whole bottle and my intestines were not ready for it lol).
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I recommended probiotics to myself. I consume daily kefir, yogurt, kombucha, or kimchi. I ferment all those at home.
  • fluffyjames44
    fluffyjames44 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I make Kefir and kombucha at home - bloat busting, tasty and cheap (compared to shop bought)
  • louanngoguen
    louanngoguen Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    How do you make that?
  • faithrainbow1
    faithrainbow1 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I started fermenting my own foods after a particularly long/strong course of antibiotics. The easiest for me is sauerkraut. Just chop up the cabbage, massage in the salt until the juices cover it (add a little filtered water if needed), put a weight on top so no oxygen gets in, and put it in your pantry for a few weeks. If it tastes like salt it needs more time; once it ferments it tastes sour (like vinegar almost). I've also had good luck with green beans and beets. Cucumbers were my least successful. Just google "probiotic sauerkraut recipe" and you'll get step by step instructions with photos.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    How do you make that?

Google is your friend.