Ovarian cyst or endometriosis? How do you all deal with these problems

Options
So since June of 2017, I developed this dull pain in lower abdomen that radiates to my lower back. The dull ache comes and goes. I started charting when I would feel this pain and it always comes during ovulation, a week or days before my menstrual cycle, and towards the end of my menstrual cycle.
Some months I will have painful breasts and the dull ache would be more pronounced on the left side.
I went to the ER in September and the ER dr found an ovarian cyst the size of a dime on the left ovary and they were dissolving on the right ovary.
At first, I did not believe the ER doctor because I came to the ER 8 times and was misdiagnosed. A nurse even told me I had PID and a UTI which was untrue because my pelvic exam showed no signs of an infection but a cyst and my urine culture came back negative
Now that I have been charting my pain, I believe that it may be a cyst or endometriosis. I have gyno appointment next Wednesday.

I am now having an ache on the left side that has been aching all week and my cycle is due in 3 days. When it starts, the ache leaves and for 2 weeks I feel no ache what so ever.

I thought that maybe if I lose weight the cyst will leave but I have lost 26 pounds so far and it's still giving me an issue. I also believe that I may have PCOS.

If there is anyone out there, how do you deal with these issues while maintaining a healthy lifestyle? What were your symptoms

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I took a lot of iboprofen. I guess I just got used to it. I'm sure your gynecologist will be able to help you or least suggest some options. I was put on birth control which alleviated some of my symptoms.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you have a gyn appt scheduled. I can diagnose myself with everything from a brain tumor to toenail fungus with Dr. Google.

I've had ovarian cysts a various times. My pain is usually sharp (especially if one bursts). I also often get a dull aching pain around ovulation (officially called mittelschmerz) but that doesn't seem to correlate with whether or not I have a cyst. The frequency and severity doesn't seem to change with my weight. I've had just as many when I was 135 pounds as when I was 200. Ibuprofen helps, as does a heating pad or hot water bottle.
  • pinuplove
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    I am going through the EXACT same thing right now. I'm literally lying in bed because the stupid cyst hurts so badly.

I've gotten sonograms and pelvic exams that don't see anything. But I believe the cysts form every month and burst, which is when the sharp pain happens. By the time it bursts, they won't see anything on a sonogram. The most I have ever heard is "it looks like there may have been some fibroids there".

This summer I was walking down the street alone (I live in NYC) and I collapsed with the pain of what I thought was a cyst bursting. I could not walk. I literally laid on the sidewalk sweating in pain until I finally asked a man if he could walk me to the Urgent Care down the street.

Last night I was looking into castor oil packs for fibriod/cysts. I was wondering if they were woo or not.

I wonder if it is endometriosis as well.

The radiologist noted mine on the CT scan I had when I presented with appendicitis. Not saying you should fake appendicitis to get a CT scan, but I did find that interesting. On a related note, I only went in with my appendix because my husband insisted. The pain wasn't really any worse than a cyst bursting, just different :confused: I'm sorry you're in so much pain today!
  • TeachergirlCeleste
    Options
    Thanks, everyone. I took a nap and the ache has subsided. I also found that when I go for long walks the ache leaves or when I am sitting near a fan I ache more. I really feel that my cycle is about to start because of these symptoms
  • TeachergirlCeleste
    Options
    I've experienced similar pains off and on. I almost have a cycle of cycles that vary in intensity.
    I went to a doctor the first time over 15 years ago, and they said there was a cyst but nothing to worry about. I have tried birth control in the past to keep the battling hormones in check.
    Over the years, I've noticed that times of increased stress make it worse. I found some things helpful: light cardio, deep breathing, heating pad, ibuprofen, dark chocolate and dilligent hydration. Probably the most instant relief is heat.
    It's kinda nice to have people to share with.

OMG Thanks for this! I will be purchasing a heating pad and ibuprofen. Why is dark chocolate good?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    So since June of 2017, I developed this dull pain in lower abdomen that radiates to my lower back. The dull ache comes and goes. I started charting when I would feel this pain and it always comes during ovulation, a week or days before my menstrual cycle, and towards the end of my menstrual cycle.
    Some months I will have painful breasts and the dull ache would be more pronounced on the left side.
    I went to the ER in September and the ER dr found an ovarian cyst the size of a dime on the left ovary and they were dissolving on the right ovary.
    At first, I did not believe the ER doctor because I came to the ER 8 times and was misdiagnosed. A nurse even told me I had PID and a UTI which was untrue because my pelvic exam showed no signs of an infection but a cyst and my urine culture came back negative
    Now that I have been charting my pain, I believe that it may be a cyst or endometriosis. I have gyno appointment next Wednesday.

I am now having an ache on the left side that has been aching all week and my cycle is due in 3 days. When it starts, the ache leaves and for 2 weeks I feel no ache what so ever.

I thought that maybe if I lose weight the cyst will leave but I have lost 26 pounds so far and it's still giving me an issue. I also believe that I may have PCOS.

If there is anyone out there, how do you deal with these issues while maintaining a healthy lifestyle? What were your symptoms

Hold on, you're just starting to get pain now? You're a lucky person. I've been having horrible pains every month for a week before my period since I got my first period when I was 10!

But anyway, I alternate between Advil/Ibuprofen and Tylenol. I get the gel packs because they work much faster. Often I have to use both at once or it still hurts. Couple days at ovulation for the last 10years as well, then for a week before my period (was actually way worse on the pill).

I have cysts too, ended up at the ER a year ago because one of them twisted while I was exercising... They're 1 and 1.5 inch or something. Typically they will just do ultrasounds to monitor them. I'm sure your GYN will help.
  • TeachergirlCeleste
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Hold on, you're just starting to get pain now? You're a lucky person. I've been having horrible pains every month for a week before my period since I got my first period when I was 10!

But anyway, I alternate between Advil/Ibuprofen and Tylenol. I get the gel packs because they work much faster. Often I have to use both at once or it still hurts. Couple days at ovulation for the last 10years as well, then for a week before my period (was actually way worse on the pill).

I have cysts too, ended up at the ER a year ago because one of them twisted while I was exercising... They're 1 and 1.5 inch or something. Typically they will just do ultrasounds to monitor them. I'm sure your GYN will help.

Seems like there no relief. Just pain pills. My cycle starts in two days and it will all go away
  • Dandelie
    Dandelie Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    IF you have PCOS, every release of an egg forms a cyst instead of getting released. So if you feel you are having this issue, go to your doctor and insist that they test your hormone levels. There isn't much they can do (medicine wise). I have PCOS and I was taking metformin. It killed my stomach and actually caused me kidney pain. I stopped taking it for a herbal choice of Vitex. It supports hormonal balance through the pituitary gland.

I am still without a period after 3 years, but since taking the vitex, I am having the typical symptoms of my period with spotting when I would have a period. So it is a success in my book.
  • Dandelie
    Dandelie Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    Hope it's okay for a man to comment here, but I have a mother, two sisters, a wife, and two daughters, so I think I qualify.

In almost 30 years of marriage, my wife has had both these conditions, and every other thing you ladies get. The ovarian cysts were removed surgically. The endometriosis was treated for a time with Vitamin K, but that wasn't sustainable long term.

Why is everyone here guessing about their condition and searching for temporary relief? Ultimately, you'll need medical intervention to fix the aggravating conditions.

I have been diagnosed and have help for it. Unfortunately, with PCOS, cysts are normal. If it was normal to have surgical intervention every time you had a cyst, you would need surgery every month or every few months.
  • pinuplove
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Hope it's okay for a man to comment here, but I have a mother, two sisters, a wife, and two daughters, so I think I qualify.

In almost 30 years of marriage, my wife has had both these conditions, and every other thing you ladies get. The ovarian cysts were removed surgically. The endometriosis was treated for a time with Vitamin K, but that wasn't sustainable long term.

Why is everyone here guessing about their condition and searching for temporary relief? Ultimately, you'll need medical intervention to fix the aggravating conditions.

Cysts, as noted earlier, will form over and over. Surgery isn't normally necessary or even preferable. Another possibility is fibroids, which are more commonly removed surgically than cysts. I've had polycystic ovaries for years, diagnosed (no guessing - my ovaries were covered in cysts and 4-5 times normal size when my 2nd baby was delivered via C-section so my on/gyn actually SAW them. Doesn't get much more definitive than that). There is no cure (well, menopause or complete hysterectomy I guess), just management.
  • calicogem1
    calicogem1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Last June, I would feel a pain near my ovaries whenever I would walk on my treadmill. I went to my gynecologist, and it turned out that I had a cyst on both ovaries. He used a scope to remove them and said that by using the scope, he could determine if I had endometriosis. I didn't have endometriosis and felt a lot better once the cysts were removed. I would suggest getting in to see your gynecologist as fast as possible. He can determine a lot of things by using this scope.
  • BecMarty14
    BecMarty14 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    tinaalisa15,
    OMG Thanks for this! I will be purchasing a heating pad and ibuprofen. Why is dark chocolate good?[/quote]

Even just a fraction of a serving size of 86+% dark chocolate greatly improves my mood. :)
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    My endometriosis was managed once I got Mirena
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I'm confused. I assume my cysts break and then I just get new ones every month...

Because the doctors have been no help.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,868 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I almost always have ovarian cysts ... some quite large, some hemorrhagic, one that got to the size of a chicken egg and then burst. That was painful. Most of the time they're about the size of a grape ... and come and go.

Much more troublesome have been the large polyps I get in my uterus. I've had 2 surgeries to remove them so far.

Fortunately my doctors and gynaecologists have been on top of things and have been very helpful.

• Janice6543
    Janice6543 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Losing 20 lbs has generally cured my cycts and PCOS. Plus a lower carb diet - I still eat fruit, veggies, lentils etc but have dramatically cut back on bread, rice, pasta and desserts.