Ice Cream Craving!!

Options
Suggestions to take care of my ice cream craving? I do not mind fat free or frozen yogurt at all (I personally can't tell the difference between this stuff and the regular). Any suggestions on what to have? Thanks!

Replies

• charsauce
    Options
    Blend up a banana and some fat free soy milk, then freeze it! it is DELICIOUS and healthy.
  • Twoody83
    Twoody83 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I love ice cream too! I will make a smoothy with frozen banana, unsweetened almond milk, cocoa powder, and ice. Delicious! It takes care of that craving!
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Skinny cow single servings.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Suggestions to take care of my ice cream craving? I do not mind fat free or frozen yogurt at all (I personally can't tell the difference between this stuff and the regular). Any suggestions on what to have? Thanks!

Hi Soontobemrswhite, my suggestion would be for you to have some ice cream. There's nothing wrong with eating something that you feel is bad for you. If you have to go to McDonald's and get a kiddie cone do it.

I don't diet. I don't believe in diets. I don't believe in depriving myself of anything that I want or crave. I believe in moderation and portion control. I believe that if I deprive myself or if people deprive themselves, we will wind up hurting ourselves. Love is too strong, to hurt oneself.
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Slice a banana and freeze until solid. Blend in food processor until it's creamy. Throw in a squirt of chocolate sauce or a tablespoon of peanut butter, some vanilla, honey, almonds or nuts, whatever you are craving.

The consistency is amazingly like ice cream! You'll love it.
  • MuchoGusto
    MuchoGusto Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I just discovered Hood's Fat Free Frozen Yogurt Maine Blueberries and Cream with live and active cultures! It is DELICIOUS and coming in at 90 calories for 1/2 cup you can't beat it!
  • mesafford
    mesafford Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Someone posted a recipe for homemade ice cream (the old fashiond way where you shake it in a bag) with almond milk. Search "almond milk ice cream" in the recipe section. :)
  • Echo17121
    Echo17121 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I just made my own! There is a recipe floating around here where you can use almond milk, sugar, and vanilla. I put it on top of a vita top and added a bit of hershey's light syrup...it was soo good!
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Skinny Cow is seriously good stuff.
  • edinat
    edinat Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    definitely the skinny cow ice cream...i had some tonight and it oh so gooooooooood....and the cup is 150 calories 4g of fiber and 1g of fat, yes it has 21g of sugar but hey , sometimes u gotta have ice cream ;) and this is the perfect substitute...it actually tastes really good and its a generous cup of ice cream.
  • ambermichon
    ambermichon Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    the so delicious brand ice cream sandwiches are 100 cals and great and fat free!! I usually blend a protein shake with ice n peanut butter or banana and that takes care of that
  • mkaluzny
    mkaluzny Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Give in to the craving. I just split a Blue Bunny Neapolitan ice cream sandwich with my son (cut the long way so we both got all three flavors) - total calories for me, only 75.
  • lisahightower2
    Options
    I would say to have some ice cream. Nothing wrong with treating yourself once in a while. Now if it's a daily "need" for ice cream - yeah, look for some substitutes. But an ice cream cone a week isn't going to hurt anything.
  • nrvo
    nrvo Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I eat the Edy's/Dreyer's Slow Churned individual cups; they are 170-190 cals each. I buy the individual size because I don't have enough self control to eat just one serving on my own. I'm a whole-container kind of girl.
  • akgrl1020
    akgrl1020 Posts: 179
    Options
    I love Skinny Cow...yum!
  • shydaisi
    shydaisi Posts: 833 Member
    Options

Hi Soontobemrswhite, my suggestion would be for you to have some ice cream. There's nothing wrong with eating something that you feel is bad for you. If you have to go to McDonald's and get a kiddie cone do it.

I don't diet. I don't believe in diets. I don't believe in depriving myself of anything that I want or crave. I believe in moderation and portion control. I believe that if I deprive myself or if people deprive themselves, we will wind up hurting ourselves. Love is too strong, to hurt oneself.

Great post!!
  • myiceisonfire
    myiceisonfire Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I eat ice cream every night! Blue Bunny Fat Free-Sugar Free Vanilla is only 80 calories... =)
  • tramaine81
    tramaine81 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt with fruit (sliced strawberries) is OFF THE CHAIN!!!! ("Off the Chain" means very good or in this case, incredibly delicious)

However, if you can handle it you might want to just get a single serving icecream. I buy the fatty kind (Banana Pudding) so I just stand at my fridge and take a few bites after I eat dinner.
  • greengold
    greengold Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    frozen fruit - frozen raspberries are particularly good, as are frozen banana slices.

If you have an ice cream maker, try making fudgesicle ice cream using chocolate pudding and lowfat milk ( it takes slightly less milk for ice cream than pudding). You can use other pudding flavors too - just be sure to get the "cook and serve" type pudding, not instant - instant pudding turns into a rock in the freezer, even after churning.
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Someone posted this recently. Made it tonight, it's good. Even my 9 and 14 yr old sons like it!!!

Here's a recipe for a non-fat, low-cal tasty ice cream treat.

Fill a large zip lock bag with ice and add a 1/2 cup of table salt. The salt is to make the ice super cold and speed freezing. It does not touch the ice cream.
    In a measuring cup, pour 1 cup of almond milk (I like PureAlmond Unsweetened only 35 calories for 1 cup)
    1/2 tsp vanilla
    2 tbsp of a natural or artificial sweetner (Splenda, Truvia, honey, etc..).
    Mix well and pour liquid into a smaller zip lock bag and seal it tight.
    Place the small bag inside the larger bag, seal and then shake vigorously for 4 to 5 minutes until the mixture hardens.
    Tip: use oven mits to keep your hangs from getting too cold as you shake the bag.
    Also, consider adding cinnamon, cocoa or instant coffee to the mixture for variety. Enjoy!
    * Add a scoop of vanilla protein and you its an awesome meal replacement!