Heart health

52 yrs, heart patient, multiple Strokes, getting started on a new me. Looking for encouragement, low cardio exercise plans, looking to chat with others

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    46, circulation issues (chronic venous insufficiency), have been working on a new me for the last 16 months. Walking, even at a leisurely pace, is great for your heart. I started with 25 minutes daily minimum. Now I shoot for 2 hours, or use a fitness glider on days when it's not feasible.
  • BRENDAJOYCE1965
    BRENDAJOYCE1965 Posts: 8 Member
    edited February 2018
    I have just started 1 week down, feel hungry a lot
  • BRENDAJOYCE1965
    edited February 2018
    Thank you Esther, i have started on 30 minute walks and low cardio training at the gym twice a week
  • estherdragonbat
    Excellent! And just so you know, exercise (that you are medically/physically able to do, of course) is great for fitness. If you're also trying to lose weight, you just need to be taking in fewer calories than you burn. Exercise can help with that, but it can be done with diet alone.

What kind of cardio are you doing at the gym?
  • BRENDAJOYCE1965
    No cardio allowed, I can only raise my heart rate to 111 beats per minute, mostly strength training for muscle tone
  • estherdragonbat
    Got it. I use light dumbbells and body-weight mostly, working out in my basement. (Also, some other equipment like a stability ball, ankle weights, and a cardio step.)
  • BRENDAJOYCE1965
    edited February 2018
    Still struggling with steps due to left side deficiency my trainer has me on light weights and exercise bike treadmill will come at a later date when strength improves on left side
  • estherdragonbat
    Makes sense. Recovery takes time.
  • BRENDAJOYCE1965
    I would like to add you Esther, but don't know how to send out a request
  • estherdragonbat
    Just sent you a request. If you click the username, you'll get a pop up asking you if you'd like to send a message. Click it again, and you get the option of adding a friend request.
  • BRENDAJOYCE1965
    Thank you, was looking all over for a request button
  • estherdragonbat
    No problem!