Why the F am I not losing weight?

Options

Replies

• aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    ...My husband is giving me 100$ this week to get some stuff to help me with my goals and diet. Any recommendations on stuff I should get?...

A food scale.

Weight is lost by consuming less calories than you expend. Exercise can help create the calorie deficit and is a good idea for a lot of reasons, but if you're consuming more calories than you're burning you won't lose weight. It's where the old saying "You can't out-exercise a bad diet" comes from (not "bad" in the sense of what you're eating, "bad" in the sense of how much you're eating). Green tea, benefiber, vinegar, etc. are all a waste of time and money, as none of them will have any significant effect upon weight loss. It all comes down to CICO (Calories in/Calories Out).

This.

This, this, this.
  • pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone that is saying WEIGH everything cause to go by servings you are eating much more then you think.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Oh good!

BTW my husband is pescetarian and he eats a lot of different food besides fruit & veggies. I'm not saying you don't...obviously we don't know what all you eat on a daily basis and you mentioned beans, tuna, etc, all great. He likes to cook a lot with lentils, chickpeas, and a few meat alternative products. I think variety keeps you from getting too bored. Actually we get a lot of ideas for what we cook/eat from people on YouTube and Pinterest who are vegan. We aren't vegan (he eats seafood/eggs and I eat some meat) but they just seem to have a lot of really good ideas. Also cookbooks from Isa Chandra Moskowitz have a lot of great ideas.

Anyway I am rambling but I wish you the best!
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Erfw7471 wrote: »
    Great advice above, but I do have to ask - you're eating 95% fruits & veggies? Is that correct? So no meat, eggs, dairy, healthy fats? I'm just trying to figure out what type of plan you're attempting to follow.

I eat brussel sprouts for brekfast strawberries, blueberries, cucumbers or green Beans for snacks. Can soup for lunch or an avacado with tuna (thats where the most meat comes from) And salad for dinner every night. I eat 2 kinds of salad one has Baccon peices in it but very little. And sometimes I eat a wrap with chicken or turky lunch meat and spinich.

It sounds like you may not be eating enough protein. Your body needs enough protein intake to make the blood cells that carry oxygen to your cells, and protein is needed to repair/build muscle. If you get fatigued, it can be from a lack of enough protein intake.

I hope you do eat some vegan sources of protein at least like tofu, beans/legumes, nut butters. What about eggs? Are you getting in some fat calories also?

If you are excluding a lot of protein sources like lean meats, poultry, dairy it will make it harder to get in enough high quality protein. Not impossible, but harder.

I do hope you are working alongside a Dr as you diet and excercise given your starting weight being so
    high. You need monitoring for any current health issues.

• Lyrica7
    Lyrica7 Posts: 88 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I looked at your profile and you have a health issue which can slow weight loss- pcos. Pcos can also cause insulin resistance and also contribute to thyroid disease. I would go for a complete checkup with your Dr with a full thyroid panel. Research pcos many find a lower carb type dietcan help with pcos.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Break things down into individual behaviors and habits. Instead of looking at this as an all at once, or all or nothing proposition, find ways to break things down into smaller and more sustainable habits. That makes it much easier to pinpoint where something is not working, and fix it, rather than staring at the whole jumbled mess of NOT WORKING. Plus, when you do backslide, you are less likely to drop everything, just one or two habits, that can then be fixed again. Otherwise, trying to everything at once, means that you are likely to leave out something important (like weighing food), and pay excessive attention to things that aren't. (Like fiber drinks and vinegar)
    Log EVERYTHING.
    Don't JUST weigh (with a scale is best) everything you eat, also write why you are eating it (i.e, lunchtime, hungry, kind of bored, out with friends, watching tv) and how you are feeling right before, right after and an hour after (hungry, comfortable, normal, full, very full bloated, drowsy, OMG I am so damn sick of this crap I want to throw the whole plate out a window, etc).
    This gives you a baseline pattern for your normal habits and routine. From there, it's just a matter of experimenting. Are you very full after dinner? Cut back on a few things. Does lunch leave you bloated and gassy after an hour, try less or no mayo, and see if there's something you don't mind dropping each meal (fries, or cheese, or maybe only 2 tacos instead of 3).Are you starving an hour after dinner?
    Maybe more fats during. It's amazing how quickly these small and easily sustainable changes will add up to big calorie cuts. Only cut one or two things at a time, until they become habit instead if trying to do everything at once. That way they become individual habits instead of one big "diet".
  • mamav1234
    mamav1234 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water. Write down everything you eat when you eat it , not at the end of the day. It's easy to forget if you don't do it when you eat. Keep up the good work, you'll get there.

• DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    So glad to see you consulted your doctor! Best of luck with everything you do.
  • kq1981
    kq1981 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Weigh EVERYTHING. Log everything. Be 100% honet, even if you eat too much. Give it time. Be consistant and go slowly. Good luck :)
  • jasondjulian
    jasondjulian Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    ...The Benifiber is because i feel like i need the fiber.

There are plenty of high-fiber foods that you can consume that will do the trick just nicely.. I'd much rather fill a nutritional void in my diet (noun) than take supplements any day. Talk about not natural... humans aren't meant to take pills for nutrition (unless an underlying medical need necessitates it).

Beans, lentils, artichokes, broccoli, raspberries, avocados, whole-wheat pasta (pasta is NOT a dirty word people!), chia seeds, air-popped popcorn, dried figs (pretty darn tasty too, and satisfies a sweet craving), carrots, sweet potatoes (I hate them, but there they are)..

That's enough, but you get the idea. It just goes to show you that a varied and diverse diet of pretty much everything, inclusive of meat and dairy is perfectly fine for us (unless that underlying medical reason comes into play, clearly).

Good luck!