Graduate Student trying to focus on self for once!

Options
Hey everyone! Im a 23 yr old grad student. Really haven't focused on myself in a long time and need to get my body back in shape! Just looking for some support along the way :smile:

Replies

• overzoelous
    overzoelous Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Welcome! This is a great place for motivation and support :]
  • sweetsapphire85
    Options
    graduate student going into social work. I'm always about putting everyone else first and have really let myself slide until I woke up the end of June and decided enough was enough!

I'll friend you, welcome to the site, it's really great and keeps me motivated!
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    As a fellow grad student, I completely understand. I'm currently trying to strike a balance between focusing on myself and on my dissertation! Feel free to add me.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    howdy! I am just finishing up grad school this week and im so glad to hear that you are focusing on YOU!

Packing snacks and exercising will help you grades so much!

Best of luck in grad school! (what are you studying?
  • katekrise
    katekrise Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Go you!! Me too! I did my bachelors in pre-med Biological Sciences and minored in Chemistry, so I had a ton of caffeine and bad food and zero activity. I was overweight and felt terrible. Now I'm in grad. school (Nurse Practitioner) and I've lost over 20 lbs. I exercise regularly, eat better and feel better.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    Add me! I'm a college student :)
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    5th year phd student in history and I totally know what you're going through! Hang in there and good for you for making time for yourself!
  • ladolcevita26
    ladolcevita26 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi! 3rd year Psychology graduate student here. I think the stress of school definitely helped contribute to my weight gain...along with tons of sugar filled coffee drinks (I still miss my Starbucks) and late night fast food runs. Good luck on your journey!
  • tramaine81
    tramaine81 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    OH EMM GEE! I am a grad student, too, and I sooo know what you are talking about. Exercising when there is an exam is almost a joke; however, it can be done. You might want to try walking, it reduces stress, you can do it anytime, and it gives you a workout. Also, I do Jillian Michael tapes (the 20 minute workouts: Ripped in 30 and 30 day Shred) because I don't have all that time to exercise.

GOOD LUCK!!!
  • officiallymrswhite
    officiallymrswhite Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Hey! I am 23 and also a grad student! I made the same exact decision to focus on myself in May. Since then, I have lost 16 pounds and I feel great!! I am hoping I can keep it up once the semester starts....but this site is so awesome! Everyone is so supportive and motivating! Welcome!!!!

Friend me if you'd like! I always like finding people in the same boat as me on here!:smile:
  • 25andfit
    25andfit Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It's definitely hard to find a balance on school/life, but fitness should really take the #1 spot. Good luck - we can do this!!
  • officiallymrswhite
    officiallymrswhite Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    It's definitely hard to find a balance on school/life, but fitness should really take the #1 spot. Good luck - we can do this!!

It is super hard!! So much time spent on planning healthy meals, cooking, and working out. Last year I was able to lose 20 pounds over the summer...and I got out of my good habits come fall. Thank goodness I only gained 8 pounds back. This fall I am setting myself up for success. I am scheduled to work with a personal trainer 3 times a week and I have been forcing myself to get up and work out super early in the am...night time workouts just won't work for me with the class schedule. I also have been researching recipes that I will be able to cook a lot of on weekends and freeze so I have healthy portioned meals during the fall (beats fast food and pizza!). I am praying I can stick to this...anyone else have any tips on how to keep it up with classes??
  • 25andfit
    25andfit Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yeah it's so easy to lose track with classes and work. I hope this fall goes better for you!
    I am gonna try to make lots of salads and I like cooking my meats ahead of time. That way I can quickly chop stuff up and throw in some protein and have it for lunch/easy dinner. It's hard to resist quick/easy unhealthy snacks and meals - but they are not worth it. I'm not sure how to lose track, but I'm hoping structure of this site will help.
    Hope Fall'11 treats you well!