Low Calorie chicken meals?

Options
I really like chicken, and I figured that’s great since it can be pretty low cal, and I’m wondering if anyone has any really good low calorie chicken recipes for me to try

Replies

• sportychic87
    sportychic87 Posts: 214 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Chicken breast diced, shredded cabbage, toss with cumin, curry, garlic, turmeric sauté over medium heat and it basically makes something similar to a curry.

Or; chicken breast diced and sautéed with chopped broccoli. Add one tablespoon of soy sauce and keep sautéing for a bit.

Chicken soup: chicken breast diced, 1/4 cup carrot, cabbage or celery, 1/4 cup instant rice, 1/4 cup onion. Cook till veggies tender.

Chicken is really really versatile. Be creative!
  • DomesticKat
    DomesticKat Posts: 565 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Shirataki noodles with roasted veggie of your choice. I've used broccoli, beets, sweet potatoes, zucchini, etc. Sometimes I add black beans. I like to make a dressing for it with avocado, lime juice, cilantro, salt, and pepper in the blender. Then layer it all in a bowl.
  • sportychic87
    sportychic87 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Shirataki noodles with roasted veggie of your choice. I've used broccoli, beets, sweet potatoes, zucchini, etc. Sometimes I add black beans. I like to make a dressing for it with avocado, lime juice, cilantro, salt, and pepper in the blender. Then layer it all in a bowl.

Sounds like a burrito bowl almost!
  • abirdintherain
    abirdintherain Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty basic and love a chicken breast cut in half with some kick'n chicken seasoning and pan fried (without oil, covered, nonstick pan, yada yada). I am also the weirdo that saves extra dipping sauces from restaurants so I usually eat it with zax sauce from Zaxby's or honey mustard from wherever, but that can be a lot of extra and unneeded calories. But really, kick'n chicken seasoning - the stuff is bomb.
  • DomesticKat
    DomesticKat Posts: 565 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options

Sounds like a burrito bowl almost!

I do a lot of different bowl recipes with pulled chicken or shrimp but my kids say they love this one more than anything else I've ever made so I call that a win. The dressing is the best part. You could use any kind of citrus juice and I think it would be delicious.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    How low is low calorie? You can adjust any recipe to fit your calorie goal. You can also allocate your calories between meals as you want.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    If you also like eggplant, try this one

Ingredients:

6 smallish eggplants (about 1/2 lb each), peeled and cut in half (I personally like to cut them into long slices without peeling).
    4 tablespoons vegetable oil
    3 medium onions, peeled and thinly sliced
    2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon ground pepper
    1/2 teaspoon turmeric
    1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1 lb skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 2 inch strips
    1/2 teaspoon ground saffron dissolved in 4 tablespoons hot water
    3 tomatoes (about 1 lb), peeled and finely chopped
    1 cup water
    1/4 cup lime juice

Instructions:
    1. Preheat the oven to 450˚F.
    2. Arrange the eggplants side by side in an oiled sheet pan. Brush each eggplant with a little oil (2 tbsp total) and roast in the oven for 40 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside.
    3. Meanwhile, in a medium-sized, heavy-bottomed pot, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic, and stir-fry for 5 minutes, or until translucent. Add the salt, pepper, turmeric, cinnamon, and chicken and sauté, stirring occasionally, for 10 to 15 more minutes, or until golden brown.
    4. Add the saffron-infused water, tomatoes, water, and lime juice, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
    5. Arrange the eggplants on top of the chicken in the pot. Cover and cook over low heat for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the meat and eggplants are both tender.
    6. Adjust the seasoning, adding salt or lime juice, cover again, and keep warm until ready to serve.
    7. Serve hot with plain rice or quinoa.

Makes 4 servings about 400 calories each without the rice and is pretty nice on volume. With rice and how I like to have it, 550 calories, which I consider low calorie for a large satisfying main meal (about 1.5 lbs of food or more per serving). You could shave off 50 calories by halving the oil, but I often find 50 extra calories is worth it for a richer meal.

(From the cookbook: Joon - Persian cooking)
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    My favorite is marinated chicken on my George Foreman grill. The marinate is olive oil, brown sugar, brown mustard, lime & lemon juice and salt & pepper. I let it marinate 1 hour up to 2 days in the fridge and it cooks on the grill in about 5-8 minutes depending on thickness of chicken (even thickness is important).