Riding Lawn Mower? Calorie Burner? Really?

Options
Ok, is it just me or how can mowing a lawn with a riding lawn mower be on here as actual exercise? How is that any different than driving a car? I do that at least an hour and ten minutes a day, why would that not be counted?

Replies

• clrrrr
    clrrrr Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I've never used a riding mower, but I'd guess they involve way more muscle in turning the wheel, sitting up straight, etc. than a car does (depends on the car, though).
  • k121777
    k121777 Posts: 306
    Options
    I can see a push mower, but not a riding mower. I'm just sayin............
  • AJelinski
    Options
    I only add mowing grass to my exercise when I use my push mower. I'm with you on the riding mower.
  • yogavegan
    yogavegan Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    yeh but check it out, 10 mins burns like 30 calories. even when you sleep you burn calories, but it's not exercise! i guess you are burning calories by steering the wheel.... right?
  • Jamcnair
    Jamcnair Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Sweating from simply being exposed to the sun? I don't know lol
  • eichhorst
    eichhorst Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Driving a car is probably considered as part of your daily lifestyle when you first sign up so you don't need to log it every day where as cutting grass is not an every day thing so that's why even though it's not much different from a car you can still log it.
  • spaztastic13
    Options
    Im pretty sure that no one should count sitting on your *kitten* as exercise!!!
  • yogavegan
    yogavegan Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    i think i will wear my HRM while i commute on wednesday, i will be spending about 4 hours in the car... LOL
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I'd say chalk it up as daily activity and don't record it. My rule of thumb is... did i do this activity before starting this healthy lifestyle journey?....if the answer is yes, then I don't log it. I mean I did these activities before (mowing, cleaning, walking the dogs, etc) and it didn't contribute to me losing weight then why would it be much different now? If its something you have done routinely or habitually for some period of time I wouldn't log it. Now if you used to not push mow the yard and now you are for the exercise, then by all means log it.
  • racotten
    racotten Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Is it a Snapper or John Deer?
  • flutterqueen04
    Options
    I wondered the same thing!!!!!
  • IMYarnCraz33
    IMYarnCraz33 Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    that is rather strange but i do agree
    there's no power steering on those things and
    you've gotta crank hard on the wheel to turn.

random FYI: you burn calories drinking ice water--too bad it's not exercise :wink:
    Let's figure out exactly what you're burning when you drink a 16-ounce (0.5 liter) glass of ice water:
    The temperature of ice water can be estimated at zero degrees Celsius.
    Body temperature can be estimated at 37 degrees Celsius.
    It takes 1 calorie to raise 1 gram of water 1 degree Celsius.
    There are 473.18 grams in 16 fluid ounces of water.

Source: http://health.howstuffworks.com/wellness/diet-fitness/weight-loss/question447.htm