Low calorie snacks?

Options
What are some of the best, healthy, low calorie snacks for me to munch on in between meals or at night if I get hungry again?

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Some of mu go-tos are string cheese, hard boiled eggs, Greek yogurt, beef jerky, popcorn, protein bars, fudge pops, fruits, hummus & veggies
  • getalife9353
    getalife9353 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    grapes, blueberries, strawberries, cantaloupe, watermelon are my "low" calorie snacks. I also snack on other fruits and some nuts, but they may not qualify as "low" calorie.
  • CourtneyUT
    CourtneyUT Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    One slice of Ezekiel bread with a tiny bit of pb on it. String cheese. Apple dipped in a tbsp of pb.
  • SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Currently it's sun-dried tomatoes. Not the ones in oil, just the dried ones. Salty and chewy so take a while to eat, usually find about 4 is enough. Previously it has been dill pickles. I also like grated carrot and finely chopped onion with some balsamic vinegar thrown over it.
  • rikkejohnsenrij
    rikkejohnsenrij Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Carrots and spicy humus...I can eat a rather large portion for 150 kcal :)
  • CatL1911
    CatL1911 Posts: 50 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Here's some of my go-tos:
    -Sliced bell pepper with 1 tbsp of hummus
    -Pretzel sticks (compare brands to find the lowest cal) with labaneh
    -Multigrain cracker with 1/2 tbsp hummus and a sliced hard boiled egg
    -Sliced cucumber dipped in mustard (weird but I love it)
    -Low-fat cottage cheese
    -Beef jerky
    -Sunflower seeds - just be sure to weigh them out and don't mindlessly eat them
    -Saurkraut

Some premade salads I keep stocked in small portions that actually taste better the longer they sit in the dressing:
    -Chopped cucumber and tomato w/ vinegar, lemon, and garlic
    -Chopped roasted beets with vinegar and dill
    -Shredded carrot, beet, and kohlrabi with equal parts low sodium soy sauce, ACV and garlic, ginger and sesame seeds
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    The habit of grazing is not going to serve you well if you want to maintain a healthy weight. It's healthiest to not snack at all, but if you want to, eat whatever you want within your calories - healthy snacks is the same stuff as healthy food. Being hungry isn't dangerous, it's normal. You're not supposed to eat so little that you starve. You're supposed to eat enough, and if you eat enough at meals, you'll be hungry just before meals.
  • rikkejohnsenrij
    rikkejohnsenrij Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    The habit of grazing is not going to serve you well if you want to maintain a healthy weight. It's healthiest to not snack at all, but if you want to, eat whatever you want within your calories - healthy snacks is the same stuff as healthy food. Being hungry isn't dangerous, it's normal. You're not supposed to eat so little that you starve. You're supposed to eat enough, and if you eat enough at meals, you'll be hungry just before meals.

...And we're back to "everyone is different"...I can come home from a Danish Christmas Party (that's 20+ dishes in my family)...and 3 hours later I'm hungry again
  • CatL1911
    CatL1911 Posts: 50 Member
    Options

I wish that was how it worked for me, but I've found that whether I eat a small meal or a huge meal, I'm hungry again at relatively the same time after. By the time I get to the next meal, I'm "starving" and I could end up overeating because of it. Plus, while being hungry is fine, being super hungry is distracting and annoying.

For me I've found the most success in making my breakfast, lunch, and dinner smaller and adding in a preplanned midmorning and midafternoon snack (usually one of the foods I listed above). I know plenty of people who can eat 3 square meals and be fine, but I'm not one of them. I think all that really matters is your deficit and eating on whatever schedule allows you to achieve it.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options

...And we're back to "everyone is different"...I can come home from a Danish Christmas Party (that's 20+ dishes in my family)...and 3 hours later I'm hungry again
    And then maybe it's time for a meal? :)
  • melissarose4
    melissarose4 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I like to have some pre-made salads in the fridge to grab with a healthy dressing option. Apples are easy to keep in there too (and if I'm not hungry enough to want an apple, am I really that hungry?)

I also like popcorn, cucumbers/hummus, a brothy soup, green beans, string cheese, a small piece of chocolate (for sweet cravings).
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I like popcorn, dry cereal (for me personally, it's Quaker Corn Squares. It's somewhat sweet, not super-sugary and 30 grams are 110 calories and 30% of my iron RDA), string cheese, Fibre One bars, Yo Bars (basically, solid yogurt with a thin chocolaty coating), Simple Protein chips, occasional lower-calorie chip substitutes like Veggie Straws or Popcorners (they satisfy a salt craving, but from a nutritional standpoint, they don't give me enough to help me hit a protein or iron goal—which are two things I shoot for, and they aren't as filling as popcorn. So, while I do enjoy them, they're not a regular snacking staple for me), or a bit of homemade dessert—I keep those to 200 calories or fewer per serving.
  • anetkastefaniak
    anetkastefaniak Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    -Fruit
    -Hard boiled egg
    -Hummus and vegetables to dip
    -String cheese/babybel
    -Oikos greek yogurt
    -Dark chocolate
    -Popcorn, no oil
    -Tomato and cucumber salad, herbs (like dill or basil), with squeezed lemon and some salt and pepper

Not exactly healthy but helps with my cravings:
    -Crispy mini rice cakes (ex. Savory tomato & basil)
    -Chocolate or blueberry eggo waffles
    -Granola bar
    -Chocolate pudding (JELL-O)
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I'm keeping A1c low: strawberries and beans & quinoa! They totally like cuban black beans!
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Popcorn & i put a tiny 1 tsp of MELTED salted butter on it. It’s fiber!!! And low cal! 1 tsp butter=35 cals, air-popped popcorn is 31 cals per cup. And it will fill you up!!! AND, popcorn is actually a superfood bc of all the good things in it.
    https://healthline.com/nutrition/popcorn-nutrition-and-health#section3
  • brtgl
    brtgl Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    -Fruit
    -Hard boiled egg
    -Hummus and vegetables to dip
    -String cheese/babybel
    -Oikos greek yogurt
    -Dark chocolate
    -Popcorn, no oil
    -Tomato and cucumber salad, herbs (like dill or basil), with squeezed lemon and some salt and pepper

Not exactly healthy but helps with my cravings:
    -Crispy mini rice cakes (ex. Savory tomato & basil)
    -Chocolate or blueberry eggo waffles
    -Granola bar
    -Chocolate pudding (JELL-O)

Great list. Greek yogurt for breakfast and for an afternoon snack is common for me.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    Raw cauliflower and hummus
    Raw carrots and hummus
    2% Greek yogurt
    Half of a protein bar
    Hard boiled egg
    Banana
    85% dark chocolate is my treat
  • Connie1979
    Connie1979 Posts: 77 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs
    Broccoli and carrot with tzatziki greek yogurt ranch dip( by Sabra)
    Cucumbers and tomatoes with vinegar and herbs
    Banana and peanut butter
    Mixed nuts
    chunk chicken with hot sauce
    apples, oranges, grapes
    Pickles
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    What great ideas!