Holy Moly. I am out of shape.

Options
I have been on this journey for almost 2 years and today was the first day I really attempted to work out. I started the 21 day fix workout along with MFP. I am really proud of myself for getting up and doing it but also bummed I am so out of shape. The modified lady still kicked my butt. I hope my stamina improves over time. I would never be hard on anyone else and congratulate anyone on their effort. I am just hard on myself, I guess. But. I did it! How long did it take your stamina to improve?

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    My stamina "improved" within a few weeks, but it took a couple of years for it to get where I "wanted" it.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I saw improved stamina in my steady state cardio after I started incorporating 3xweek HIIT bursts to my routine, in about a week and a half. It was fast! HIIT is absolute Satan and I never learn to get used to it, lol, but it is extremely effective if you can work up the guts to get it done!

Btw your hair is so pretty!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    I saw improved stamina in my steady state cardio after I started incorporating 3xweek HIIT bursts to my routine, in about a week and a half. It was fast! HIIT is absolute Satan and I never learn to get used to it, lol, but it is extremely effective if you can work up the guts to get it done!

i find that too whenever i restart as a bike commuter after several months off, BUT i would never just get on a bike and do that in my first week. if someone is extremely unused to exercising i think it's even more inadvisable for high-impact cardio stuff like running. not so much for your cardiovascular system, but things like muscles and joints.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    My stamina "improved" within a few weeks, but it took a couple of years for it to get where I "wanted" it.

Ditto but I'm still not quite where I'd like to be

Most of us just keep raising the bar for ourselves so we're never quite there lol.
  • 2deltacharlie
    2deltacharlie Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    If you stick with it you will be amazed at the gains you can make in the first couple of months. It is as much mental conditioning as it is physical. Sort of a "once you know you can do it, then you can do it" kinda thing.
  • cjsacto
    cjsacto Posts: 1,421 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I sympathize. I just started TRX and I've gone four times now. There are things (atomic pushups!) I just can't do, while others in the class can. I have to work through being kind of embarrassed that I'm struggling, I hope to get a lot better. Makes me feel like I'm back in PE class, ugh.
  • onerealmaria
    onerealmaria Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    After many years of denial (and inactivity), I broke down and hired a personal trainer. She's awesome and pushes me. Today is the 2nd week of working out regularly again and it is the first time that reality spoke to me. I am so out of shape.....I was upset at first but it took me years to get this way. I am trying to be easier on myself and just take baby steps. I am sure I will get to where I want to be but I'm short on patience. It feels so good to hang out at the gym and work out. It's the best thing I've done for myself in years. Good luck to everyone!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    It takes time to build up fitness and stamina. Today you made a start, just keep doing them now, they will become easier.
  • DanniB423
    DanniB423 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Got up early did finished day 2 before work. Felt good.
  • DanniB423
    Options

Btw your hair is so pretty!
    Thanks! That is so sweet.
  • DanniB423
    edited February 2018
    Options
    After many years of denial (and inactivity), I broke down and hired a personal trainer. She's awesome and pushes me. Today is the 2nd week of working out regularly again and it is the first time that reality spoke to me. I am so out of shape.....I was upset at first but it took me years to get this way. I am trying to be easier on myself and just take baby steps. I am sure I will get to where I want to be but I'm short on patience. It feels so good to hang out at the gym and work out. It's the best thing I've done for myself in years. Good luck to everyone!

That is so awesome. The thought of working out in front of other people and especially one single person focusing on me makes me nauseous lol. I really hope to get there someday. Right now the only one watching and judging is a the dog.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    5 years ago I made a promise to myself to do the 30 day shred, I got up at 6am every morning for 30 days without fail to keep that promise...and the exercising habit stuck. I still work out on week day mornings. I was pretty unfit back then, but now I am lean and strong :smile: Stick with it, you will be glad you did :smile: