How to lose the last 10-20 lbs of stubborn fat?

Options
Hello. I am 5'2 and weigh about 140 and my goal weight is to be 120. I eat 1200 calories a day and try to walk 10,000 steps a day. How come I can't seem to lose the final 15lbs of stubborn fat?
Am I eating too many calories or not working out enough?
Most of my fat clings to my stomach and arms.
Any tips to lose 10-20 lbs would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I think people will probably ask to see your diary.
  • altairego21
    altairego21 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Get accurate with calorie counting. Do you use a food scale to weigh everything?

Yes I do.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    lnmuse wrote: »
    Get accurate with calorie counting. Do you use a food scale to weigh everything?

Yes I do.

How long have you been at this?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Hello. I am 5'2 and weigh about 140 and my goal weight is to be 120. I eat 1200 calories a day and try to walk 10,000 steps a day. How come I can't seem to lose the final 15lbs of stubborn fat?
    Am I eating too many calories or not working out enough?
    Most of my fat clings to my stomach and arms.
    Any tips to lose 10-20 lbs would be greatly appreciated.

How long has it been since you've lost weight? For the last 10 or so lbs, you will prob have to settle for losing half-a-lb per week, which can easily hide behind normal water weight fluctuations for weeks at a time. When I was there, I would sometimes see nothing on the scale for 3 weeks, then a lb would drop off.

Use a scale for absolutely everything possible - whole food, packaged food, PB, snacks. Double check that the entries you are using in the database are correct - many are user entered and quite wrong. Do a gut check to make sure you are being honest and logging everything.

And then be patient and hang in there, you don't have a lot of wiggle room and it will be slow. Good luck!
  • SteamPug
    SteamPug Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    S l o w l y
    I’m at 124 now and still losing, but I’ve had to stop weighing as often because the results just don’t come as quick. I’d estimate a loss of 1lb a week on my current diet though it has slowed somewhat by eating out at the weekends.
  • Mandy72M
    Mandy72M Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Im not eating exercise calories back I started off at 129lbs currently at 125lbs. I aim to be 112lbs. I have set my diary at 1400 calories a day. I eat protein at every meal to keep me full.
  • SteamPug
    SteamPug Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Mandy72M wrote: »
    Im not eating exercise calories back I started off at 129lbs currently at 125lbs. I aim to be 112lbs. I have set my diary at 1400 calories a day. I eat protein at every meal to keep me full.
    We have the same goal :D
  • BitofaState
    BitofaState Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    If you're not losing then it means you're in equilibrium.

First check that you are not actually losing, it's going to slow down as you approach your goal, you weigh less so will have a lower BMR. Look at the 4-6 week trend not the week to week variation so that you have a chance to see that 3-6lbs loss above the natural fluctuation.

Next check your energy balance - are you recording accurately? What about oils when cooking, or other small add ins to meals. It's easy to have an extra couple of hundred Kcal creep in if we don't include them in the tracking. When you say you "try" to walk 10,000 are you monitoring that as well? Are you making sure that you "do" hit your activity goal for the day/week?

If that's all as it should be your choice at 1200Kcal would be to increase your activity as going below this would probably trigger metabolic adaptation, that is slowing down your system. Maybe add in some resistance training to boost lean tissue. Try jogging or running instead of walking. The thing is it's going to take months not weeks so compliance with the eating and exercise will be key to get to that goal.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    The problem is most likely to be found in your diary - which only you can see.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options

Yes I do.
    Are you sticking to your calorie allowance, too, or do you sometimes cheat, forget or leave out something, or give up becauce it "isn't working"?
    Yes I do.

How long have you been at this?
    This is important.
    SteamPug wrote: »
    S l o w l y
    And this is true.

• littledainty
    littledainty Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft and 115 down from 143, aiming for 105 (ish). The last few pounds are tough! Our deficit is much smaller as we can't cut as many calories so we have to get really strict.

Really basic rules-Having cheat meals (or days?). Don't. Eating exercise calories? Cut it to 20-50%. Weigh EVERYTHING and always double check packaging in case the info has changed.

If it's only been a couple of weeks it may just be that any loss is masked by water weight, if it's been longer than 6 then it's a logging issue. 1200 is enough of a deficit for your stats. If you're struggling to stick to it try 1300/1400 as that should still create a loss with your activity and you'll be less likely to snap and binge, which is so much easier to justify to yourself when you're nearly there.

It's going to be slow. That's the worst about the last few pounds. Marathon not a sprint and all that-good luck!
  • Biker_SuzCO
    Biker_SuzCO Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Op—I started about your stats and have almost reached my goal weight of 120 (at my original goal of 125 but would like to drop a few more). I reLly had to up the exercise to lose anything. I ran about 20 miles per week, did 1-2 body weight videos per week, and on weekends did a very strenuous mountain bike ride or two. All the while I ate 1500-1800 Cals. I didn’t weigh my food but measured some—so maybe I was eating more. It was really hard and I was very hangry! It still took me a year!
  • PowerliftingMom
    PowerliftingMom Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    As soon as I started doing minimal cardio and started lifting weights, the weight came off easily and quickly