Your storys for putting back on?

Options
A year and a half ago when I started this I was so so into it, never going even 1 calorie over, excersize 30-120 mins per day every day, barely any 'bad' days. Last July I got down to my lowest weight of 13st from 16, we went on holiday for 3 weeks and obviously being abroad I went off the wagon, when we came back I tried getting back to it but we shortly moved in together and so I didn't really keep much track. Since November I've been sort of on and off but more recently trying to be on, I now weigh 14.9 stone (although feel that's going to go up adter a disaster 2 days) and I just can't seem to stay on track, I'll go a week, maybe 2, feel great, but then go off again for a few days or a week and just lose it all! Last week I was in calories for 2/7. I just don't know why I can't seem to stick to them. Sweet food is my enemy! I don't ever really excersize either, my partner says and I do think it's true, that when I use to before it was mostly out of boredom as when I got home from work when I lived at my parents I had my excersize bike and nothing else to do really, so I would excersize from finishing work until going to bed however I'm a lot busier now with a house and we have a puppy ext.i just want to get back on it!
I always use to say when I started that I just didn't know how people could put all/most the weight they lost back on but now I totally get it and it sucks!
This seems probsbly like a pointless rant. But I am curious as to others stories like mine where they put back on, how much and how they got back to it?

Replies

• amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    Mine was due to two babies in two years. I was my smallest at my wedding almost three years ago. Two months later I'm pregnant and when that baby was 5 months old I'm pregnant again. I was an avid runner and worked out 5 days a week without fail. I watched what I ate meticulously.
    In pregnancy I did pretty well but of course gained weight and a little more than I wanted with my second child.
    yes, it is hard to get that motivation going again but I've started running again and I see it as "my time" and it clears my head. I get up at 5 a.m. while hubby and babies are sleeping and get it out of the way. When I was single or even newly married I had A LOT more time on my hands but that's no excuse. I just needed to carve out a time to make it happen and I am. I'm in week two of c25k training and I've lost about 16 lbs since starting to eat better and try to get healthier, which was about three months ago.
    You can do this, just know that it is up to you and no one else to make the time to feel good. Eating well makes me feel better too.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I regained, several times - in the end I had 50 excess pounds - because the diet I followed was boring, strange and restrictive. It was enough calories, and normal food, but too low fat, focusing on limiting salt and sugar and increasing fiber, and recommending unfamiliar foods and combinations - and I really like to decide for myself what, how and when to eat. I regained because I was terrified of the health problems eating the wrong foods would lead to. In my head, everything that tasted good, became unhealthy, and every healthy food, was boring, bitter or just disgusting. Food became the enemy. I also exercised because that's what you're supposed to do. I stopped that too when I hit goal weight. I just wanted to do all the things I had missed. I had missed it so much that I ate some more, and kept eating and eating.

I regained because I had learnt to count calories and eat diet food and exercise, not to eat and move and think and feel like a normal weight person. I needed MFP for that :)
  • pacingoamy
    pacingoamy Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I have three teen boys (9th, 8th and 7th graders), a full time job and I am caretaker for my brother and his wife. During the winter sports/holiday season, I put on 7-9 lbs of the 35 I lost. I think my life is like juggling balls and when they are all in motion, I can make it. But, when one ball gets out of whack, feels heavier or is lopsided, my whole momentum gets off. So, I have to set really small goals to get back on track. REALLY small goals considering where I was. Some days, it may be getting 12k steps in. Some days, it may be not eating more than 400 calories a meal. I have to keep it creative with little goals because I get easily overwhelmed. Then, as I gain momentum and strides, I can do more. It's not easy, but it's the only way I have been able to 'trick' my brain into working this stuff in some weeks.
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    Options
    I regained probably around 15lb over the past year because I didn't cope well with a move and the inherent disruption to my routine. What helped me get back on track was identifying what worked for me in the past, what had been a crucial part of my daily routine upon which everything else was built. For me that was having a cardio machine in my house. I'd had an elliptical and treadmill that I'd had to leave with my sister and it wasn't until I replaced that that everything fell back into place.

It sounds like a lot of what's going on with you is the change of moving in with someone, which is really difficult to adjust to. If you haven't, consider talking with your boyfriend about how important it is to you to lose weight and get back into shape. He sounds like he may not understand how exercise and eating well makes you feel better, if he thinks it's something you only did before out of boredom. Set aside a specific time each day to work out. For me, it's as soon as I get home from work; if I sit down on the couch there's too good of a chance I won't get off it again.

Once I started exercising consistently I went back to tracking my food again, which helped me be accountable about what I'm eating. I feel enormously better and I'm actually enjoying losing the weight a second time around because I'd forgotten how fun it is to rediscover a "new" bone or muscle.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I joined MFP in 2013 and lost 32 pounds fairly easily. I maintained for 2 years then I quit smoking in October 2016 Then went off the rails totally. Went back to eating way too much and not exercising. Put back on 28 pounds. I just couldn't seem to get back to the way I felt the first time. Then I developed Arthritis and was in so much pain that just getting up off the couch was an ordeal. I have got that under control with a cocktail of meds but still have bad days.

I started again this January and have lost 5 pounds but it is a real struggle this time. I have problems with will power this time around and procrastinate all the time about exercise. I need to step it up but can't seem to get back to the same mind set I had back in 2013. But I am going to stick with it as every pound counts.
  • mfpfreedomnow
    mfpfreedomnow Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Stress.