Options
godblessourhome
godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
do you have a list?

Replies

• MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    well...is this long term or just for a night? i haven't really had to worry about this, since during the day my son is at a day care and when we have gotten babysitters they were family. however, we recently stumbled upon a couple of early 20's girls at our church who adore our son, so they totally babysit for free and it's great!
  • dragonbait0126
    dragonbait0126 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I don't have kids but I baby-sat for years and made such good money doing it I purchased all my own school supplies, clothes, and gas from the 7th grade on. I can tell you what made parents hire me. I started sitting when I was 11. Some people may think this is young but I was already keeping the nursery at the church and had more experience with kids than several teenagers I knew. I was also a certified baby-sitter by the time I was 12 (this was a program offered through the local hospital) and was red-cross certified in CPR and first-aid through this program.

1) I was responsible and trust-worthy. I know, I know. It's hard to imagine an 11 year old having these qualities.

2) They should be able to maneuver in a kitchen even if it's just to make a sandwich, frozen pizza, or mac & cheese. Kids get hungry and the baby-sitter needs to be able to feed them especially if the time they are there covers a meal time.

3) They must be respectful. It's your house, those are your kids, and the baby-sitter needs to respect your rules on everything from punishment to bedtime.

4) They must be willing to play with the kids. The only time I ever did my homework while baby-sitting was my senior year of high school when I had my goddaughter every afternoon. She was less than a year and she'd go down for a nap and I would study. I baby-sat for 4 other familes on a regular basis and never took my schoolwork with me. Ever. Pay attention to the kids and play or read or whatever with the kids. Help them with thier homework. Sitting on the couch macking with your boyfriend while telling the kids to go play is not acceptable. On that note...

5) A babysitter should never, ever invite a friend/boy/girlfriend over. I'm sorry I just think that if a friend is there then you aren't paying attention to the kids which is what you are being paid to do.

I can't thing of anything else at the moment. I can say I never had a set amount that I charged. I let the parents decide. My average though was $8 - $10 per hour. I had one family that I had a standing job with them every Saturday night and every Sunday afternoon. I didn't even call to confirm. I'd just show up at the house (they were neighbors). I'd typically be with thier 2 girls for about 3 hours on Saturday night and another 2 - 3 hours on Sundays. Easiest job I ever had but I'd average about $60 per weekend with them. Then there were several other families I sat for on a regular basis Sunday - Friday nights when I didn't have theater rehersal in addition to keeping the nursery at church on Sunday mornings. I could gross $60 - $100 on just about any given week and $150 - $200 on a good week.
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    Responsible
    Friendly
    Sane
    Safe
    Has some common sense
    Can drive!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,629 Member
    Options
    One thing to consider. Check your home owners insurance for liability on people you may "employ" in your home. If you have a baby sitter in your home and they get injured, you will be liable for their medical. Just had a neighbor pay out $32,000 in medical bills for a gentleman they employed to cut some branches off a tree. He wasn't a contractor, but a neighborhood fix it man. While stepping down the ladder he lost his footing and damaged his heel. He had to have surgery done on it to the tune of $32,000.
  • diet45
    diet45 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I've had some trouble in the past with some babysitters. I mostly only need a babysitter for my 4 yr old. I try to hire sitters that will just watch Sarah. I also try and have them along with her pick-up before they move on to another project. I don't let them swim or play out front. We live on a busy street. No juice or food in the living. I don't like them on facebook or watching tv, unless she has gone to sleep. So, as long as they play with my daughter and she is happy, then I'm happy. My daughter will tattle on the babysitter if they are doing something they shouldn't. I had her tell me...Mommy they were on facebook and I was riding the elliptical....I about had a fit with that one.