10K Steps

Options
Suly09
Suly09 Posts: 88 Member
edited February 2018 in Chit-Chat
I am starting to feel really insecure about my fitness goals. I have been researching a lot and a 1200 calorie a day works because normally a person should take about 10000 steps a day. That is roughly -1200 calories which is then how one loses weight. I sit all day at the office and then my home is right above my office. I never leave this area therefore I never take more than maybe 2500 steps a day. How will I ever make it to 10K steps. Maybe it will not be as easy as I thought to lose weight. I was already feeling so motivated.
Some will say to get up and walk a little more. I cant. I cant leave my office, I cant walk around my desk (not so much anyway) and I have a child to take care of and dinner to cook when I get home. I do workout on the treadmill 3 times a week and do weights/cardio another 2 days out of the week but with the research I have done it doesnt seem enough. It seems I wont ever have a daily calorie deficit. I hope I am explaining myself.

Replies

• DEBOO7
    DEBOO7 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I solved this problem by.... not getting in the car to drive to the shops, I now walk. In fact, over time I walk mostly everywhere and factor that into my daily routine. I started out at 3500 steps, then 5000 steps, then 7500, up to 10k and now 15k. That's taken a year to transition to.
    With a little one it probably means putting them in a pushchair - go to the local park? Many of my friends prepare and plan all their meals in advance so it's really quick and saves time so they can exercise.
    Yeah... it all comes down to focus and being organised. Incremental change is much easier to manage than going full tilt and failing.
  • brightresolve
    brightresolve Posts: 1,024 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Suly09 wrote: »
    ... I have been researching a lot and a 1200 calorie a day works because normally a person should take about 10000 steps a day. That is roughly -1200 calories which is then how one loses weight. ...

I HAVE GOOD NEWS -- this is actually incorrect.

Everyone's body, lying in a bed breathing and digesting whatever we just ate and running our brains and making our hearts beat, uses up a ton of calories a day. For most of us, more than 1200 - just lying in bed! Any activity we do (like, stand up!) burns more calories than that "base rate".

If you started in MFP by putting in your age, height, weight, and activity level (sounds like sedentary would work for you as it did for me) -- then MFP has calculated the calories you use. When you tell MFP how quickly you want to lose weight and it gives you a calorie allowance, eat within that calorie allowance and you WILL lose.

10,000 steps is a good thing. But the weight loss war is won in the kitchen and at the table.
  • Suly09
    Options
    Perhaps I'm just bigger...but I ate 2000+ cals going from 296 to 222. You gotta find something reasonable to eat or you might give up and it could be unhealthy...I personally like the approach to set cal goal for 1lbs a week loss...then, get your exercise...and eat your cals plus just a little, but like 1/4 maybe, into your "exercise cals" ...then you are not hungry.

Clean up diet and eat healthier choices when possible, and dont feel bad when you screw up...afaik everybody screws up A LOT and then gradually gets better

Thank you for the motivation. I will try to walk around as much as I can whether it be walking around my living room or going outside in the fresh air. Anything is possible.
  • Suly09
    Options
    Suly09 wrote: »
    ... I have been researching a lot and a 1200 calorie a day works because normally a person should take about 10000 steps a day. That is roughly -1200 calories which is then how one loses weight. ...

I HAVE GOOD NEWS -- this is actually incorrect.

Everyone's body, lying in a bed breathing and digesting whatever we just ate and running our brains and making our hearts beat, uses up a ton of calories a day. For most of us, more than 1200 - just lying in bed! Any activity we do (like, stand up!) burns more calories than that "base rate".

If you started in MFP by putting in your age, height, weight, and activity level (sounds like sedentary would work for you as it did for me) -- then MFP has calculated the calories you use. When you tell MFP how quickly you want to lose weight and it gives you a calorie allowance, eat within that calorie allowance and you WILL lose.

10,000 steps is a good thing. But the weight loss war is won in the kitchen and at the table.

Thank you so much. I needed this. I will keep eating healthy and within my calorie range to lose the weight. I did put sedentary so I am trusting MFP.