Weight loss/keto while breastfeeding?

Options
Hi everyone! I have an 8 month old that is 99% exclusively breastfed (the other 1% being tiny bits of food off our plates here and there)

Has anyone done low carb/keto while nursing? I try to avoid bread but wonder if I shohld go completely off carbs and if that’s bad while nursing around the clock.

I would like to lose 50 lbs, I am 30 lbs overweight, and would like to do so by the end of this year.

Any advice is welcome. Thank you!

Replies

• sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Low carb completely tanked my supply. My son was just over a year so that was okay, but we went from nursing 6x a day to 1x a day within 3 days of me switching. My body did not handle the transition well.
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    I had a hard time losing weight while I was breastfeeding. I couldn't lose the last 10-15 until after the first 12 months and my midwife told me that's fairly common. If this is your first, don't be shocked if you have an experience like sarathes or mine.
  • carolinaf6
    carolinaf6 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    It’s my second pregnancy. Last time I was able to lose a lot faster, but I was breastfeedng twins, so maybe that is why.
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I lost weight while breastfeeding my second just by reducing calories. I set my goal at maintenance and let the breastfeeding be my deficit and managed to both lose the weight and breastfeed my daughter till well past age two.
    I'd also recommend checking out Kelly mom if you want an idea of dieting and breastfeeding.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I would be very careful about sudden changes just in case it affects your supply. That is true of any major dietary changes or caloric deficits.

If you do go keto, I would drop your carbs very slowly. Take a few weeks to get into ketosis, or even longer if you have no medical need for ketones. There is no need to drop your carbs suddenly.

As mentioned earlier, keto affects electrolytes and hydration. As you drop carbs, insulin will fall. It is insulin that causes water and electrolyte retention so people typically lose a lot of water and sodium in the first week or so which can result in a serious electrolyte imbalance with symptoms like headaches, nausea, brain fog, fatigue, BM issues, moodiness and muscle aches or spasms.

You'll need at least 3000-5000 mg of sodium a day to replace lost electrolytes. There's about 2300mg of sodium in a teaspoon of table salt. salt in water or broth every day will help you keep sodium from dipping.

Go slow and be patient...That's good advice that the others gave. I had a hard time losing while breastfeeding too. I usually lost 25-30 lbs in the first week or two postpartum and then nothing more until the baby was sleeping through the night and breastfeeding less.
  • carolinaf6
    carolinaf6 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your help! I think after all I’m going to just stick to lower calories instead of getting into ketosis. I’m having a harder time losing weight after my second pregnancy for some reason, but need to just stick with the counting calories. Thank you for all your help.
  • DomesticKat
    DomesticKat Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I'm 10 months post-partum and breastfeeding. My calories are set to maintenance because my baby still nurses constantly (and eats all the food and is the size of a two year old) and I lose a pound, give or take, every week. I don't recommend trying to lose more than that. I'm down about 48 pounds now and I'm close to my first but not final goal. If you aren't weighing food and logging, definitely tighten that up and see how it goes. That's important not only to lose the weight, but also to make sure your body is getting enough and doesn't end up tanking your supply. Good luck!
  • jrmie333
    jrmie333 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I am currently doing it just fine. I am still have about quarter cups of oats and at leat 8cups of water every day. My supply is not affected. I restrained my carbs intake to 50grams but i could go up to 60g every now and then. I think it is doable. I also drink mothers milk tea and general tea to help. So far im observing. I am also new to keto on week 2 but like i say my 6m is nursing with no issues so far.
  • KimiAR
    KimiAR Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    My supply does best around 50g. I like keto because it helps me keep my calories low enough to lose and keeps me satisfied. The first week or so we were starting keto I was pretty dry but the second week was a lot better and this is week three and he seems to be getting more than plenty. Just play with it and see how your body reacts to it. Easing into it a bit might be better than a sudden switch.