Does anyone have low calorie fish recipes?

Options
blackshirt0102
blackshirt0102 Posts: 2 Member
I'm looking for some healthier lower calorie ways to eat fish than frying it. The kind of fish I eat mostly are ones that I catch from my local lake such as crappie, bass, and walleye. Any info would be appreciated, thank you!

Replies

• hockeymom180
    hockeymom180 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Grill those babies! Brush fillets with a little butter and sprinkle with herbs. Or just clean them and stuff with fresh herbs to grill. Crappie is good with a hotter seasoning, like Cajun.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Bake them, or steam them.
  • crabbybrianna
    crabbybrianna Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Broil them, that’s how I cook all of my fish.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Fish is naturally low calorie. It’s what you add to it that adds calories, most likely fat or butter. That being said, I like my fish better with a little butter. See if you can whittle it down to a teaspoon.

Wrap the fish up in parchment or aluminum foil. In the pouch include the butter and spices of your choice. Me, I’d include some white pepper freshly ground and a sprig of rosemary from my windowsill. Bake it just until it flakes.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I bake my whole fresh fish in parchment paper. I just add a little water and then staple the paper together loosely. When the fish is done I put one on everyone's plate and have a jar with lemon juice, salt, pepper, and a little garlic on the table. Everyone puts on what they want. Easy for me and low cal.
  • blackshirt0102
    blackshirt0102 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, I will try these out!
  • Jermanator
    Jermanator Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    A lighter way to fry them is to dust the fillet with seasoning and a bit of cornstarch then pan fry in a bit of oil. Not quite as low calorie as grilled, steamed, or baked but much better than breaded/battered then deep fried.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    afionaf wrote: »
    Take a fillet of wild caught yellow tail and season rub with a little salt and pepper and half a tablespoon Olive oil (obviously more oil is tastier). Put in a baking dish that has a lid (ceramic is better) and completely cover with thinly sliced ripe lemons. Put the lid on and bake for 20-30 min at 350. I roast some carrots with dried tomatoes and olive oil while I'm at it, which is damn good with a glass of wine.
    Side notes: do a little research and you'll find fats like Olive oil can actually help with weight loss. The science says more and more that the adage "a calorie is a calorie" is *kitten*. Also apparently what kind of salt you use really is a make or break on how healthy it is for you. Red wine can also inhibit the storage of fat, so whenever I'm going to eat a significant amount of carbs/fat I have it with a glass of wine. I spent two weeks in Italy eating TONS of bread, pasta, croissant, cheese, etc....and I lost 7 pounds from a combination of lots of walking and lots of wine. The Thomas DeLauer and WhatILearned channels on YouTube have been immensely helpful to me in figuring out what to eat/not eat.
    Sorry for the essay, I just wish I'd heard all this a couple years ago.

I live in Italy and olive oil is high calorie. Anyone who thinks they can pour as much as they want on their food, is going to be very disappointed with their weight loss. Your walking is what saved you--not the olive oil. This is true for the Italians, their cities are built for walking--not cars, as you saw in the old city centers. You are on a calorie counting website. Counting calories has been successful for the majority of users on MFP. If you don't want to count, that's perfectly fine, but I hate to have newbies follow your advice and just spin their wheels. I hope you are successful, but can't agree with you.
  • mabelgrex
    mabelgrex Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    bake on a bed of spinach, can put some panko/garlic/lemon on the top teeny bit of butter
    I do it all the time
  • lddfsu
    lddfsu Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I've been baking it and then putting a little mango salsa on it. It's delicious.
  • Smilin40
    Smilin40 Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    If it’s from the sea it’s not for me thats my saying.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I just spray with some lemon, salt, pepper (or cajun or lemon pepper seasoning), and bake for 20 minutes at 350.