SO tired

Options
I am so tired, dizzy and irritable lately. I have been exercising a bit more, but other than that not much has changed.

I'm on about 1600-1700 calories a day, and eat back my exercise calories. Usually dinner will be meat or fish, I'll have a protein bar during the day, eggs for breakfast, a rye sandwich for lunch, carrots, bananas etc. between meals, and some snacks in the evening, so I think I should cover protein/fiber/vitamins. My iron levels were tested a while back, and they were fine.

I usually go to bed around 22.30, and at the latest am asleep by 23.30, and get up 07.30. That should be enough sleep? I find myself yawning through the day, and intensely in the evening.

Are there other things I should check myself for? Anyone need a LOT of sleep when exercising? (I do a combo of strength and cardio).

Replies

• bribucks
    bribucks Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Vitamin D levels? Also thyroid. Could be worth it to do a full blood panel.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,104 Member
    Options
    HM2206 wrote: »
    I am so tired, dizzy and irritable lately. I have been exercising a bit more, but other than that not much has changed.

I'm on about 1600-1700 calories a day, and eat back my exercise calories. Usually dinner will be meat or fish, I'll have a protein bar during the day, eggs for breakfast, a rye sandwich for lunch, carrots, bananas etc. between meals, and some snacks in the evening, so I think I should cover protein/fiber/vitamins. My iron levels were tested a while back, and they were fine.

I usually go to bed around 22.30, and at the latest am asleep by 23.30, and get up 07.30. That should be enough sleep? I find myself yawning through the day, and intensely in the evening.

Are there other things I should check myself for? Anyone need a LOT of sleep when exercising? (I do a combo of strength and cardio).

How much of a deficit are you in, it may be too aggressive for you.
  • Lesscookies1
    Lesscookies1 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    What's your current height and weight? What did you set your rate of loss as?
  • maryann9wood
    maryann9wood Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Sleep apnea can make you tired in the daytime. Is there someone who can tell you if you snore or gasp? If not you could record your sounds on your phone and listen back. Then seeing a doctor would be a good idea.
  • HM2206
    HM2206 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    bribucks wrote: »

I live in Norway and we have very little sunlight this time of year, so I have though of that.
    I googled foods with vitamin D, and I see salmon and egg yolks popped up, and I am eating quite a bit of that though. I used to take cod liver oil, maybe I should take that up again.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    how much fat are you eating?
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,423 Member
    Options

I live in Norway and we have very little sunlight this time of year, so I have though of that.
    I googled foods with vitamin D, and I see salmon and egg yolks popped up, and I am eating quite a bit of that though. I used to take cod liver oil, maybe I should take that up again.

Yeah, very low vitamin D is very common in the Scandinavian countries at this time of the year. Better get it checked out.
  • counting_kilojoules
    Options
    I'd go to a doctor. That doesn't sound normal to me. It could be a deficiency in vitamin D (quite likely) or B12 (less likely) or something else entirely but your doctor is really the best one to work it out.

• 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Options

Perhaps rule out sleep apnea or other sleep disorders?
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options

I’d second getting your D level checked. I live in Minnesota and take a supplement to treat D deficiency - as much as I prefer to get my vitamins and nutrients from food as much as possible, my doctor told me (and my research confirms) that some people especially in Northern latitudes just can’t absorb enough from food to make up for the lack of sun. The first time I was diagnosed with a deficiency two weeks on very high supplement made a noticeable difference in my energy levels.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I wonder if you are overestimating how many calories you are consuming? I have started weighing my food alot more and ironically found I was overestimating how much my protein weighed. It is rare to see that happen but if you you aren't deficient in vitamin D you might want to check to be sure you are really eating as many calories as you think you are. Good luck, I hope you get it sorted out.
  • onward1
    onward1 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I wonder if you are overestimating how many calories you are consuming? I have started weighing my food alot more and ironically found I was overestimating how much my protein weighed.

^This. This happened to me when I first started. Only I over estimated all my food and didn't eat back much of my exercise calories.
  • HM2206
    Options
    I wonder if you are overestimating how many calories you are consuming? I have started weighing my food alot more and ironically found I was overestimating how much my protein weighed. It is rare to see that happen but if you you aren't deficient in vitamin D you might want to check to be sure you are really eating as many calories as you think you are. Good luck, I hope you get it sorted out.

It's possible I don't eat that much back of my exercise calories, but it's really hard to know exactly how much you burn! I tend to lowball it because I know it's easy to inaccurate the other way around.
  • HM2206
    Options

I’d second getting your D level checked. I live in Minnesota and take a supplement to treat D deficiency - as much as I prefer to get my vitamins and nutrients from food as much as possible, my doctor told me (and my research confirms) that some people especially in Northern latitudes just can’t absorb enough from food to make up for the lack of sun. The first time I was diagnosed with a deficiency two weeks on very high supplement made a noticeable difference in my energy levels.

So I should just get some at the pharmacy? I might start taking fish oil again as well, but there is no practical harm if I have too much?
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I'd say it's worth a trip to the doctors for a blood test. That should show up if you are deficient in something, you can also be tested for a number of things from one test so it's the easiest way to find out. You could spend quite a while adding in vitamins and trying things but in case there is an underlying problem it's worth seeing a doctor for a simple blood test.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options

So I should just get some at the pharmacy? I might start taking fish oil again as well, but there is no practical harm if I have too much?

In the US you can get D suppliments without a prescription, but I have no idea how it works in Norway. It'd be worth seeing a doctor if you can just to tell if you're deficient and how much to take - it is possible to have negative effects from too much D, but if you're actually deficient you can take quite a lot without harm. This article from the Mayo Clinic says taking 60k units a day for months has been shown to cause negative effects - for comparison, I take 1000-2000 a day depending on the time of year, and the most I've ever been on was 20000 a day for a couple of weeks when I was first diagnosed as deficient.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    This is interesting, I was just prescribed once a week for 12 weeks vitamin D after a routine check-up. I didn't realise it could affect energy levels.
  • JMcGee2018
    JMcGee2018 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    When I used to eat bananas every day, I would always get tired. When I cut them out of my routine, I found I had a lot more energy.
  • JMcGee2018
    JMcGee2018 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    JMcGee2018 wrote: »
    When I used to eat bananas every day, I would always get tired. When I cut them out of my routine, I found I had a lot more energy.

...were you eating bananas so often that you ended up cutting out other nutrients that help with energy?

Nope. I just added them as a healthy snack or an easy breakfast (otherwise breakfast would be a piece of toast or something). No idea why they had that effect on me.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I lived in Alaska for 18 years and my doctor recommended I get a SAD light. It’s for Seasonal Affective Disorder and It’s a bright lamp that (I think) is full spectrum light. I’d sit by it in the morning while I read the paper and drank coffee. It’s not an uncommon thing to use in those dark winter times. I found it helpful. I never needed it once daytime hours increased.