How often to you weigh yourself?

As the title says, how often do you weigh yourself?

I'm not planning on weighing myself more than once a month. I have a history/reality of EDNOS and I figure it's best not to become obsessed with the scales again and head down that route, so I'm sticking to less regular weigh ins and relying on the logic of 'If I burn more than I take in then I have to be losing weight' in between weigh ins.

Does anyone do a similar thing and it's working out for them?

Replies

• elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    i know i need to weigh myself to track progress..but i do it every two weeks so i always see a loss and it keeps me motivated. It is a personal choice... i have pals on here who weigh three times a day and they love seeing the ups and downs and it doesn't phase them one bit. They love the science of it all..
    Do what keeps you on track..
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    About once a month, in between I go by how my clothes fit.
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    edited February 2018
    I used to only weigh myself once a week. I thought I would become obsessed if I weighed myself once a day. Recently, I joined a challenge "Give me 10 days" and you weigh in daily. Surprisingly, it is really working for me. It holds me accountable, and I cans see that the fluctuations that I experience, are common for everyone, and when you get off track, it's not the end of the world.

I only check in my weight on MFP officially once every 1 or two weeks.
  • dinadyna21
    dinadyna21 Posts: 403 Member
    Daily, I input all my weigh ins into this app called Libra Scale and it gives me a trend for the week so I can see whether or not I'm making progress. It's also helped me to see that if I gain a lb overnight it's not the end of the world, and it helps me to stay focused on my goal.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Generally twice a week... sometimes less often if I know I'm more emotional about the number than I should be.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    edited February 2018
    So, TMI warning follows!

I went from logging my weight everyday to once a week here on MFP, due to the fluctuations. I am having issues doing the #2 and go maybe once a week. I almost feel like my morning weight is not accurate because of it since I can't hit the bathroom at least once a day for a bm. Yesterday I finally after 7 days got to go, and just for fun of it I weighed myself before and after. Almost 3 pounds difference. This morning I weighed the same.
    Anyways, I do weigh myself everyday, I just don't logg it.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    I, too, weigh daily and use the Libra app. Well I do get mildly annoyed when my weight stays the same for several days on end... I understand but this is how things are LOL. If I did not weigh myself everyday it would bother me.

Every morning, when I get up, I go to the bathroom and then I weigh myself in my underwear. I recorded and Libra and move on for the day. I only update MyFitnessPal once a week.

This works for me. And as others have said, it helps keep me accountable. I do much better when I weigh everyday then when I weighed once a week. I could never do less than once a week. LOL.

When I get into maintenance I will probably continue to weigh daily for a while and then eventually perhaps go to once a week. Not sure if I'll do once a month I don't think I would like that LOL.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,215 Member
    Big fan of daily weighing and using a trend app like Libra or Happy scale as others have mentioned.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    About once a month, in between I go by how my clothes fit.

Well, I am happy you have the discipline. My problem is, if I would go by how my clothes fit I would deceive myself. My clothes stretch too much..lol
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Daily. I turned off the bit that posts on your own wall on MFP saying you have lost weight so I update daily on MFP. The daily ups and downs don't bother me at all as long as the general trend over the period is down.

I found that by doing this I can see how easily something can effect my weight. A salty meal can cause my weight to be up the next morning, sweating it out on a long run in the evening will almost always give me a loss the next day, even though it tends to jump back up a little the day after. Maybe I am slightly dehydrated. And a strength work out can lift my weight a little for two days and then it drops right back down. I generally see a new low weight each week, even if it's only by half a pound.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    I personally like to weigh daily because I like charting all the ups and downs on my Libra app.

Weighing once a week or month is certainly a viable option, especially those who tend to obsess over the numbers.
  • etherealanwar
    etherealanwar Posts: 465 Member
    I weigh daily and track it into my Libra app. I input any new lower weights in MFP.
  • Jo25369
    Jo25369 Posts: 39 Member
    I weigh myself every morning, and sometimes in the evening too. I only do the morning weigh-ins, just to make sure I'm on the right track, but I'll work out my weekly weight loss each Monday.
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    Usually when I expect some sort of weightloss, as in, I was under or hit my calorie goal for a week. I don't expect to lose weight every day so I don't check daily.
  • abirdintherain
    abirdintherain Posts: 73 Member
    edited February 2018
    I could weigh daily when I was losing weight the first time. This go around, since I don't have as much to lose, the daily fluctuations can be more bothersome and much less linear, so I only weigh once a week for my sanity. My problem getting back on the wagon was not seeing any results after a couple days - it was almost like I'd never done this before. So the scale gets put away during the week.

ETA - I weighed daily while maintaining to keep track of myself. I had a 10 pound range, and once I hit 10 extra pounds over that, I started working extra hard to get it off. But, no more daily weighs. My mental health can't take it, lol.
  • LittleCub144
    LittleCub144 Posts: 6 Member
    Thanks for the input everyone :)
  • fluffyjames44
    fluffyjames44 Posts: 12 Member
    Whatever works for you but for me. Daily. My fitbit is linked to my MFP account, Fitbit app shows the trend line through all the bouncing around. It reassures me that sometimes my weight goes up, sometimes down, but over the long term it's heading broadly in the right direction.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Every morning on a connected scale that updates Garmin, MFP, Libra (although it can take a few days) and Trendweight.com. I tend to look at Trendweight more than Libra.

Because I can't turn the connection off, I only step on it once a day or else I get my morning reading replaced in some of the apps.