anyone know of swai? got any good recipes for it?

Options
jkliles
jkliles Posts: 13 Member
My boyfriend and i found a mild white fish called swai, aka iridescent shark or basa, and it is super cheap compared to other fish! Anyway, i was thinking that i could still find recipes for it online but it is kind of hard to find anything. Anyone know what i am talking about and how did you cook it?

Replies

• cymills
    cymills Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Yes - know exactly what you speak of. My husband and I have lightly grilled it..with lemon pepper - yummy! It is also great used as /in fish tacos~! Enjoy !
  • sylnalise
    Options
    HI

I don't know this fish but I googled and discover 10 ways to eat Swai...
    http://www.examiner.com/healthy-food-in-knoxville/swai-recipes-10-ways-to-cook-the-budget-friendly-fish
  • dancingphoenix
    Options
    I like to bake it... I put the swai in a glass baking dish and add a bit of water (you can also add milk) enough to almost cover it (don't go crazy and fully cover it because you will end up with mushy fish:noway: ) and then sprinkle some dill, celery salt, pepper, and thyme on it. You can also add some onions or garlic to this. If you're calorie count can afford it, put a couple pats of butter or a little bit of olive oil on the fish and then bake it at 325-350 covered with foil.

Sometimes I bake it the same way only I put lemons, onions, and just salt and pepper... yum!

You can also play around with cooking on the stove as well... I also use a skillet with some olive oil and a little water and then throw in some minced garlic or onions and the swai and simmer or saute it until it is done. Flip once and you are good to go. You could add different spices to season it too... corriander is good... rosemarry... sage... all these spices are very yummy with fish.

I usually leave them frozen and cook them straight out of the freezer.

Hope this gives you some ideas! Have fun experimenting! :happy:
  • titletown
    titletown Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    You can use tallapia recipes for swai.

Swai is an oriental catfish, most likely farm rasied.
  • CosmicDebris83
    Options
    I love swai!! What I do is spray a sheet of foil paper with olive oil spray, lay down the filet, sprinkle with Mrs. Dash, one cup of Birds Eye Asian Medley, and one tablespoon of light margarine or butter. Close it up into a pouch an cook in the oven for about 15 minutes until fish is cooked and veggies are tender. I like to eat it over brown rice with some sriracha or crushed red pepper flakes. Delicious!!
  • jclesen
    jclesen Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I took a little olive oil, some chopped cilantro, some Mrs. Dash and a little mild taco sauce and rolled the fish in that. I put it in a grilling basket and cooked it on the gas grill. It was awsome. Had some flounder to cook so did them both and the swai was much better!!
  • Theages
    Theages Posts: 1
    Options
    This website has some good info on Swai.
    http://www.chefs-resources.com/Swai-Vietnamese-Swai-Fish
  • jkliles
    jkliles Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone for the recipe ideas! I experimented yesterday and pan fried it with a lil bit of olive oil, and i spiced the fish with rosemary, garlic salt, pepper and a dash of salt. It was fantastic with my side of roasted asparagus and lil bit of Velveeta shells! :) YUM!