Losing inches but weight is not moving

Options
About 4 weeks ago I switched to weight based workouts before this I was doing a majority cardio workout and some weights. I lost about 11 pounds over 2 months. Now since starting my weight based workouts my weight has fluctuated between 144-147. But I am still losing inches. Why is this happening.
Im 5’0, CW145 GW135

Replies

• bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    When you start a new workout routine you will hold onto water weight. This is especially true of weight training as it is related to muscle repair. You are losing inches which indicates that you are losing fat. I would bet that you are going to wake up one morning soon and see the scale drop. Just be patient.

This is a fun article that also might explain what is going on:
    https://bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html/
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    just google.. "does exercise make you gain weight". i just did it today... read the first couple threads and it will explain what is going on. but yes.. your exercise program will make you gain temporary weight...and it can last weeks.. even up to a month or more.
  • sportynad9
    sportynad9 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I saw this amazing program the other day which made me rethink a lot of the stuff I have heard about weightloss. There were 3 people at different fitness levels and weights (one slightly overweight guy with quite a belly, one girl with a fairly average body size but a lot of body fat when measured, and a girl who looked fairly skinny but still had a lot of body fat).
    All three took this challenge where they had a very strict work out plan and also a pretty strict food plan and followed both for 6-8 weeks. Afterwards they saw before & after picture of themselves and were also weighed. The average sized girl was a surprise to me. She looked a lot more toned on the after picture, and also had lost 1,5 clothes sizes. She had reduced her body fat by about 10% I think. And still, overall she had put on weight rather than lost any. That showed me how especially with exercising, using weight and losing body fat, it almost doesn't matter what the scales say but all that matters is how you look and feel. Losing almost 2 clothes sizes while still putting on weight is fascinating :)
  • Brittaney_218
    Brittaney_218 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I’m in the same boat. I’ve been maintaining weight but inches are falling off it seems clothes fit better but I’m the same weight I was not to Lon. Ago but I look completely different! Would love to watch your progress if you want to add me as a friend!! I’m 5’8” cw 206.5 first gw 200
  • lenyong07
    lenyong07 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    sportynad9 wrote: »
    I saw this amazing program the other day which made me rethink a lot of the stuff I have heard about weightloss. There were 3 people at different fitness levels and weights (one slightly overweight guy with quite a belly, one girl with a fairly average body size but a lot of body fat when measured, and a girl who looked fairly skinny but still had a lot of body fat).
    All three took this challenge where they had a very strict work out plan and also a pretty strict food plan and followed both for 6-8 weeks. Afterwards they saw before & after picture of themselves and were also weighed. The average sized girl was a surprise to me. She looked a lot more toned on the after picture, and also had lost 1,5 clothes sizes. She had reduced her body fat by about 10% I think. And still, overall she had put on weight rather than lost any. That showed me how especially with exercising, using weight and losing body fat, it almost doesn't matter what the scales say but all that matters is how you look and feel. Losing almost 2 clothes sizes while still putting on weight is fascinating :)

That sounds like an interesting program! I’d love to watch it, what is it called? That is true that the scale doesn’t matter and I love the fact that my clothes fit better and I’m losing fat but I don’t want to be 5’0 and 145 pounds. I feel that is very high for my height.
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    It can be hard to wrap your head around when you know your body is shrinking but you weigh the same. Our relationship with the scale is horrible. Think about it this way. Would it be ok if you were 5'0" 145lbs but looked like you weigh 125? No one knows how much you weigh. We don't go around with a lit up marquee flashing our weight but our inches lost are seen by everyone. Lifting weights and losing inches is going to give you better results than dropping pounds and doing just cardio. Who cares what you weigh if you look good, feel good, and are healthy?
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    lenyong07 wrote: »
    sportynad9 wrote: »

That sounds like an interesting program! I’d love to watch it, what is it called? That is true that the scale doesn’t matter and I love the fact that my clothes fit better and I’m losing fat but I don’t want to be 5’0 and 145 pounds. I feel that is very high for my height.

Is your goal to lose weight? Or is it to lose fat?

Think about that realistically. Two people of identical height and general structure weigh the same and look totally different. The more muscular of the two will be smaller. Muscle doesn't weigh more than fat. Muscle is more dense than fat, meaning it will take up less space at the same weight.

You should love the fact that your clothes look better and you're losing fat. The weight itself is not nearly as relevant.