Is Watermelon bad?!

Options
2»

Replies

• MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    Starting to think teaching the basics of nutrition in schools should be a mandatory thing...

You trust a high school teacher to teach nutrition when most doctors can't get it right? The teachers I remember (and it's been decades I admit) knew nothing outside of their core subject.

Hell, I remember a PE teacher who told us to not worry about smoking being bad for you.....

If they were given the proper information, I don't see why not. Could incorporate it as part of the curriculum in PE, it's as much health-related as the sex-ed stuff.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Starting to think teaching the basics of nutrition in schools should be a mandatory thing...

You trust a high school teacher to teach nutrition when most doctors can't get it right? The teachers I remember (and it's been decades I admit) knew nothing outside of their core subject.

Hell, I remember a PE teacher who told us to not worry about smoking being bad for you.....

If they were given the proper information, I don't see why not. Could incorporate it as part of the curriculum in PE, it's as much health-related as the sex-ed stuff.

I guess part of the problem that could potentially arise is the debates that people have over whether various foods can be part of a healthy diet or should be avoided. Think of things like whole grains, fat from meat/dairy or artificial sweeteners. How would you handle discussion of special diets like keto/low carbohydrate?

When nutrition was taught in the past, it was taught pretty much in the format of standard dietary recommendations. But there are now so many people who disagree with these recommendations (at least in part) that teaching to them could be controversial.

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

I guess part of the problem that could potentially arise is the debates that people have over whether various foods can be part of a healthy diet or should be avoided. Think of things like whole grains, fat from meat/dairy or artificial sweeteners. How would you handle discussion of special diets like keto/low carbohydrate?

When nutrition was taught in the past, it was taught pretty much in the format of standard dietary recommendations. But there are now so many people who disagree with these recommendations (at least in part) that teaching to them could be controversial.

And, some butthurt parent will immediately whine to the school board when their favorite fad isn't presented.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options

I don't know whether it would have to necessarily go into diets (especially given that so many teens end up with body issues). I was more thinking the pure basics of food not necessarily in a good-or-bad light. What are fats, what are carbs, protein, what foods generally have what in them, how the body uses them, how it absorbs vitamins. Just feels sometimes like if people had a basic understanding of nutrition, they'd be better equipped to make better decisions about food and not have to feel guilty over something like eating watermelon, for example.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I don't know whether it would have to necessarily go into diets (especially given that so many teens end up with body issues). I was more thinking the pure basics of food not necessarily in a good-or-bad light. What are fats, what are carbs, protein, what foods generally have what in them, how the body uses them, how it absorbs vitamins. Just feels sometimes like if people had a basic understanding of nutrition, they'd be better equipped to make better decisions about food and not have to feel guilty over something like eating watermelon, for example.

I agree this would be beneficial, I just think it might be hard to cover some of the topics without also getting into at least some areas of debate.

• fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I think nutrition has to be presented carefully, but I do think it should be part of schooling from early on even. As the parent of a kiddo who had to recover from an ED, too much "good food vs. bad food" messaging can really be a humdinger for those types of kids. The real deal information about nutrition and such is really missing from education, though.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    I met some naughty cream once. I had to whip it.

Googled "naughty watermelon"....was not dissapointed.

qFmdwWL.jpg

Spectacular!
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Mine get's better when I pour vodka in it.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Did it smell bad or taste off? If not it was not bad, probably quite good in fact.